Home

IGN article on Online play for NCAA and Madden

This is a discussion on IGN article on Online play for NCAA and Madden within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2004, 12:52 AM   #9
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28
Re: IGN article on Online play for NCAA and Madden

I'm only playing OSers this football season, so I'm not gonna worry about it.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:53 AM   #10
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

nivek said:

Yup, I did not like their fair play system last year either - I wish you could have turned it off on ranked games as I only played people I knew anyways.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:57 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

no rep = bad rep

and you guys are forgetting one thing.......yes childish ppl who you beat may give you bad ratings....but ppl who are str8 and adult like who get beat should give you good ratings and comments. those are the people str8 ppl are looking for and the more they play str8 the better their ratings and comments will be.

it's a system that will not work well at first due to this but in time once ppl get good reps the riff-raff will be sorted out. by that i mean that if you see johndoe gave billybob a horrid rating, you should be able to go to johndoes profile and see his rep. you could go more by what good repped guys gave other good repped guys to get a true, accurate picture if the guy is a cheeser or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2004, 12:58 AM   #12
Operation Sports Fan

Longhorn33's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

nivek said:

Me too! when NCAA 2005 come out we need an approved player list
Old 06-18-2004, 01:17 AM   #13
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28

Quote:

ODogg said:
no rep = bad rep

and you guys are forgetting one thing.......yes childish ppl who you beat may give you bad ratings....but ppl who are str8 and adult like who get beat should give you good ratings and comments. those are the people str8 ppl are looking for and the more they play str8 the better their ratings and comments will be.

it's a system that will not work well at first due to this but in time once ppl get good reps the riff-raff will be sorted out. by that i mean that if you see johndoe gave billybob a horrid rating, you should be able to go to johndoes profile and see his rep. you could go more by what good repped guys gave other good repped guys to get a true, accurate picture if the guy is a cheeser or not.

Or...

You could just play people you know from message boards and not have to worry about ratings and such. EA and MS market online gaming the wrong way. It's always, "be the #1 player in the world...be the best", but who really gives a [censored]? I mean, I play online games for fun and fun only. If I'm worried about being "#1", then I'm gonna do what everyone on XBL does...cheat to win. Users should not be able rate others, some how MS needs some sort of spyware () to see if players are actually playing fair. They're too many holes in EA fair play and anyone can cheat. It's just way to hard to find good games against random opponents. My advice, just play people you can trust, like OSers. We need to make a thread when the games come out and just have a bunch of OS gamertags/EA names and there shouldn't be a problem. If there is a problem, you can always make a complaint thread.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:39 AM   #14
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19

I really don't like the idea of a OS public ranking thread. It would turn into a case of he said she said.

Now if we had some sort of blind ranking system I would go for that.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I think the rating system ala ebay is great, in fact if you check the threads here I am the one who suggested it (does EA owe me money? haha). Yes it's true people will rate others bad simply cuz they lost but as I said, if you're playing someone str8 and you win they will give you a good rating. So there will be people who will gain good reps in time and you can find those people using this system. It will take some while to have this occur but it will. Also as was pointed out, people who cheat and lie and are a-holes will get constant bad feedback, forcing them to create new profiles. So in a couple of months it will basically come down to:

1. Person A has some good rep but also alot of bad rep.
2. Person B has no good rep and no bad rep, meaning he's either new or else not new but creaetd a new profile because he cheesed and/or was an idiot.

So using this system one will not be able to conclude person 1 is completely a good opponent BUT it will be worlds better in that if he's gotten some good feedback you got alot better shot than this year where 95% of people on EA online are using new profiles cuz they had to create new ones cuz they are cheesers. The ones online right now who do have old profiles with lots of games, well basically since they have no real rep or any way of knowing how they play you have no clue by looking at their record and numbers how they play and if they are str8. 2005's system will completely fix this.

So yeah it's not going to be perfect but as ebay has shown, giving people the chance to rate each other will result in more honesty than you'd think, it won't just be like some are implying that everyone who beats someone, that someone will give them a bad rating. I know I wouldn't do that and alot of others won't either. One other thing too is if EA followed my suggestion then they will make it easy by default to give another player a good rating but make it a bit more time consuming or a pain to give them a bad one. My idea was to have the default rating be "straight or average" and to get to a bad rating hold the button or joystick to scroll until you get to a bad rating, taking time. Most cheesers or idiots will just press the button real fast to get out of the game, unless they're vindictive. Most people that are idiots online aren't vindictive IMO, they're just stupid people who are always in a hurry to get a win, they won't care about rating someone poorly, only getting out of the game and getting on to their next cheesy win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2004, 09:17 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

Tajiri said:
The only possible downside to the Reputation factor, is let's say you just get done thrashing someone and out of disgust they give you a bad rating because they are upset. Other then that, I like what I see. It's now about time I picked up Live.

My sentiments exactly. Particularly of you played a fan of your rival school or some kid with a 0-0 record.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »