Home

College athletes to be paid in video game settlement.

This is a discussion on College athletes to be paid in video game settlement. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: College athletes to be paid in video game settlement.

I hope this means we will see NCAA 17 !

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

I have no reason to purchase a new gen console without NCAA..... why am I even alive? You know its bad when you are creating current rosters on NCAA 06 because you miss the gameplay.
I hope someday there will be another game. I know the sales will be there. The market exists, the fans of college football want their game back. I don't see how the NCAA, CLC, and universities don't get this all figured out in a few years. Too much money on the table.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2

We're years away from a new NCAA football title. Technically speaking if EA wanted to they could put out a new game today but, 1. There's still the uncertainty of pending ligation so why risk it and 2. Schools and Conferences are/have been pulling their names out of the game. Nobody wants to buy a game where lets say, 3 SEC schools and the entire ACC aren't present.
The video game money is peanuts compared to all the other likeness use issues and opportunities out there. Not to mention that the NCAA itself is in turmoil. Will it or won't in crumple to the Power 5. Power 5 wants to be able to comp players and NCAA doesn't want to.... Until all this stuff gets sorted out, we're not going to see a video game. I honestly don't know when it will happen. A lot of stuff has to go through the courts and anything that goes through the court system takes time. My guess and it's not an very educated one, is that it will probably be around 2020 when we see a game again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #12
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsoffury
We're years away from a new NCAA football title. Technically speaking if EA wanted to they could put out a new game today but, 1. There's still the uncertainty of pending ligation so why risk it and 2. Schools and Conferences are/have been pulling their names out of the game. Nobody wants to buy a game where lets say, 3 SEC schools and the entire ACC aren't present.
The video game money is peanuts compared to all the other likeness use issues and opportunities out there. Not to mention that the NCAA itself is in turmoil. Will it or won't in crumple to the Power 5. Power 5 wants to be able to comp players and NCAA doesn't want to.... Until all this stuff gets sorted out, we're not going to see a video game. I honestly don't know when it will happen. A lot of stuff has to go through the courts and anything that goes through the court system takes time. My guess and it's not an very educated one, is that it will probably be around 2020 when we see a game again.
Agree with everything you just said. I pretty much expect the Power 5 to entirely break away from the NCAA eventually, and I think we will see a college football game with just those schools. This is a long way down the road, but it seems eminent.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #13
Rookie

Tacticus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
Agree with everything you just said. I pretty much expect the Power 5 to entirely break away from the NCAA eventually, and I think we will see a college football game with just those schools. This is a long way down the road, but it seems eminent.
I doubt that will happen, but they will definitely force the NCAA to make some changes or else you're looking at a College Football Lockout.

But if what you say were to happen, would take away most of the fun in College Football Games. Most people in NCAA get enjoyment from taking **** schools like UNLV or San Jose State and turning them into powerhouses.

There's only 10 schools in the power 5 with the capability to provide that enjoyment.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:49 AM   #14
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11

Fingers crossed.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #15
Rookie

T-Moar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticus
I doubt that will happen, but they will definitely force the NCAA to make some changes or else you're looking at a College Football Lockout.

But if what you say were to happen, would take away most of the fun in College Football Games. Most people in NCAA get enjoyment from taking **** schools like UNLV or San Jose State and turning them into powerhouses.

There's only 10 schools in the power 5 with the capability to provide that enjoyment.
Let's see here...

- Vanderbilt
- Kentucky
- Rutgers
- Maryland
- Minnesota
- Indiana
- Syracuse
- Wake Forest
- Washington State
- Colorado
- Cal
- Oregon State
- Kansas
- Iowa State
- Northwestern

That's 15/65 teams - 3/13, a little bit under 25%. In Madden, that would be the bottom team from every division. Plus, that list represents a diverse set of teams in different situations, with different recruiting grounds, and different offenses. There should be something in that list to work with, even if you don't want to include some of the stretchier schools.

Also, I think you're overestimating the number of people that take garbage teams in lesser conferences and try to turn them into powerhouses. While bringing up a lesser-known team in dynasty is fairly common among hardcore gamers, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of players spend almost all of their time playing single games either online or in Play Now mode with their favorite team. If the NCAA series does come back, I could see a world in which increased costs prevent EA from paying for the rights to non-P5 schools, even without separation. Only a relatively small minority of gamers (myself included) would care if they couldn't get their #MACTION dynasty or whatever going in NCAA.

Last edited by T-Moar; 07-14-2015 at 02:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
They don't think anybody would buy a game with completely generic rosters, which sort of proves the plantiff's point.
I would but even a generic game would still bring lawsuits and as goofy as our legal system has become I wouldn't be surprised if it was successful.

It's a shame because I preferred NCAA with teambuilder over Madden but the lawsuits have brought this and all other college video games to an end.

The players get $74 dollars. The article didn't say how much the lawyers are getting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »