Home

In Game Ads Should Mean a Game Discount

This is a discussion on In Game Ads Should Mean a Game Discount within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: In Game Ads Should Mean a Game Discount

So if I accept this argument that ads are fine in games if they make the game more 'realistic,' what happens when these 30 second ads become part of television coverage of college football? Do we accept these things in the name of realism and say that because it's in television coverage that it should be in the game? I just don't buy the realism argument when it comes to things like the Pontiac College Classics or the Old Spice Red Zone. There is no such thing as the Pontiac College Class in real life so how can the argument about realism be made?

There is also a difference between signage around a stadium and these in game ads like the Pontiac College Classic. I am willing to buy the realism argument when it comes to ads in and around stadiums or on the field if they do exist in real life. What I do not appreciate is the commercials like the Old Spice Red Zone that get tossed in to pad EA's already fat wallet.

Also, remember my original post. I am not opposed to ads in games per se, but think that if companies are going to insert ads in games, then we should expect that these products should be like television shows. We should either be getting them for free or at a discount.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:

ajaxab said:
So if I accept this argument that ads are fine in games if they make the game more 'realistic,' what happens when these 30 second ads become part of television coverage of college football? Do we accept these things in the name of realism and say that because it's in television coverage that it should be in the game? I just don't buy the realism argument when it comes to things like the Pontiac College Classics or the Old Spice Red Zone. There is no such thing as the Pontiac College Class in real life so how can the argument about realism be made?

There is also a difference between signage around a stadium and these in game ads like the Pontiac College Classic. I am willing to buy the realism argument when it comes to ads in and around stadiums or on the field if they do exist in real life. What I do not appreciate is the commercials like the Old Spice Red Zone that get tossed in to pad EA's already fat wallet.

Also, remember my original post. I am not opposed to ads in games per se, but think that if companies are going to insert ads in games, then we should expect that these products should be like television shows. We should either be getting them for free or at a discount.

"Pontiac High Performance Play"
"Player of The Game, Sponsored by Chevy"

Just two right off the top of my head that are in any major college football broadcast FOR SURE. Those add to the realism, it makes the game less generic. And, since it has no effect on how you play or how long it takes to load, etc. Why is it an issue?

They're not making a ton of money off of a 5 second advertisement when you get inside the 20 yardline, I can assure you that.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:56 PM   #19
MVP

brahmagoul's Arena

OVR: 12

I think it's OK as long as this doesn't turn into a situation like at movie theatres where you're forced to sit through commercials before the show starts. The sad thing about it is it won't make prices drop. If anything, they'll increase. And that's sad.

I'd like to see the old Triple Play gimmick brought back. There's nothing like some super minty porkchops to go along with that lobster cola.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:05 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 14

Quote:

ajaxab said:
Is anyone else bothered by the increasing number of commercials in these games? Last year, we had the Old Spice Red Zone.

No. It was an overlay. It's not like the game had an actual tv timeout and an actual commercial was played. THAT would be realism hurting the game.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:24 PM   #21
Pro

cake612's Arena

OVR: 9

Sponsors are different than ads, when people says ads I think of commericals and billboards saying "use this product". Having a stat overlay that would be there anyways have a little Old Spice logo in the corner shouldnt be an issue at all. I dont know how much it costs to make a game like NCAA football but I assume it's alot more than most people would think so if they can keep hiring the best programmers or whoever because of these little "sponsorships" I have no problem with that. Until there are actual commercials in the game or the announcers say anything more about the product than "here are the Old Spice Red Zone Stats" then I say do whatever they can to make a few extra dollars without interfering at all with the gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »