Home

Early Impressions

This is a discussion on Early Impressions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2004, 03:07 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Early Impressions

Quote:

Ran a game with Air Force against Army, and the flexbone was working to full effect. Even plays like the WR insides and FB handoffs from the flex were gaining yards. In fact, it seems many of the plays that sucked [censored] last year have came back in a fashionable appearance.

I'm sold. This was my biggest gripe being an Air Force Fan. You could only run the options and maybe 3 or 4 other plays in the wish/flex bone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #26
Isildur's Heir

McLite's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:

whipsmart77 said:
Just doesn't feel like college football anymore. All the players/teams play about the same, and the new physics muck up the wide open feel. Streaks are still very effective on the Cover 2/3 schemes, while the fun of racking up YAC on the short routes is a rare occurence. I can move the ball and put up points on AA vs. the CPU, but it just doesn't feel exciting. Defense, well the CBs and LBs all seem like NFL Pro Bowlers they react to the pass so well. Running game is sluggish. Graphics are dated and lighting actually took a step backwards (looks blown/washed out during day games...night games look pretty damn good).

A year to improve the best football videogame of all time and we get a shaking screen, louder crowds, and little icons to point out who is freaking out and who's good? Excuse me but part of the fun, the mystery if you will, of sports videogames is the guys who seemingly "come to life" or develop their own roles. The 68 rated nickel back who nabs 6 INTs during a season, or a freshman RB who, for some reason, breaks one big run per game. Now those guys are almost guaranteed to stay in their "chump" mode until Jr./Sr. year.

Anyways, enough of my whining. Hope it's better online, cuz offline it's a snoozer.

BTW, I've played 40 games or so. Yea I had it a long time ago. I wrote a review on it. Gave it an 8.0.

Seems like you are in the minority...maybe you should play another 40 or so.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent the better part of this weekend playing the Xbox version (and admit that I am no means an expert)....

The game looks pretty good, although the player models seem a little washed out, and their "lines" aren't very smooth (like their arms have angular features, not smooth like a real person). But that's a minor gripe, the gameplay itself is awesome.

I don't have a lot of experience with the NCAA series (played 2004, but not a whole lot), but from what I remember, the defense is better. A lot better. So much better, that it almost borders on ridiculous. Or maybe I'm just not very good. Anyway, you can move the ball on offense (I'm playing with a created team, since my alma mater isn't in the game, so that may have something to do with it), but you have to be smart and use intelligent play-calling strategies. The AI defense will start recognizing play-calling patterns, so you'd better mix it up if you want to be successful.

The defensive secondaries are improved, and you'll see a lot of dropped passes (this isn't the NFL, after all). It's frustrating, but it makes it that much sweeter when you do complete a well-executed passing play. I've had a few long gains (50+), but I have yet to see any unrealistic stuff, which seemed to occur semi-regularly in the past.

The running game can be very effective when mixed in properly, but a lot of it depends on the match-ups, which leads to the Match-Up Stick. I can't figure out yet if the Match-Up Stick is a great addition or more of a gimmick, but so far it's been fun seeing how my d-line matches up against my opponent's o-line, or how my WRs match up against their secondary. What it does is show indivudual players' composure, so you can see who's solid and who's rattled. And I definitely try to find the mismatches and exploit them, so I guess the Match Up Stick is doing what it was intended to do.

There's also a new feature called Stadium Pulse, which is basically a Crowd-O-Meter. So depending on where you play, the crowd noise can have a huge impact on how you play: audibles can be missed, younger players get rattled more easily, and even the screen shakes and you get force feedback when it gets really raucous. Which, of course, makes that 38-yard field goal to send it into overtime a little more nervewracking--but it's a great addition.

I haven't had the chance to get online yet, but that's on the dance card for tonight. Overall, NCAA Football 2005 is looking pretty sweet. I know that a lot of you guys are going to get it, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 2

I know its little but I'm still in shocked how they didnt even try to improve the create a team
Old 07-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #29
Pro

Chibi's Arena

OVR: 11

A few very minor details, some rehashed, some not:

* The presentation graphics are nice. I love the stadium background for the new play selection screen. Much better than last year, and probably the best play selection screen the game has ever had. Same goes for the pause screen. It keeps you feeling like you're still in the game.

* It's minor, even as far as minor details are concerned, but I played my first game in a dynasty (Utah vs. Utah State for the Beehive Boot, though the test dynasty is actually with FIU), and I love the frequent season stat updates, such as the graphic overlay popping up that lets me know that Utah State's QB is now 40/82, while Utah's is doing a bit better. Now the only thing missing to tie you down to the dynasty is the ability to go through all of the scores of ongoing games like you could on the old PSX versions, and the ability to check out any and all players' season stats with the select button from the depth chart screen, or something.

* I love being able to actually follow my blockers downfield. In a Memphis-Murray State game, I handed it off to DeAngelo up the middle and he ROLLED down the field behind Robert Douglas, with a few offensive linemen flanking him, for a twenty yard gain. Hopefully, this will occasionally be possible between more evenly-matched teams, as well.

* On the field just feels a lot smoother, on the whole. Hard to explain why, but it does. On the flipside, there are a few hitches here and there during some cutscenes and transitions. Not a big deal, especially after you get used to it, but it throws you a little at first.

* Speaking of some minor hitches, all of the graphic enhancements to the menus look great, but they do slow down the speed of, say, looking at the Top 25 or selecting an OOC opponent. Again, not a big deal, but a bit annoying. This is the PS2 version, by the way.

* Thank God they added the slant hot routes and the run flip . Soooooo nice.

* It feels good to deliver a "Big Hit."

There were some other things I'm sure I meant to add, but I can't remember them and I want to get back to the game.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #30
MVP

What about half-time? No one has commented on the half-time presentation and the end of game celebrations.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #31
Pro

Chibi's Arena

Not much to speak of when it comes to halftime or post-game, sadly. They're both basically the same as last year, from what I've seen.

Please do, however, note that I haven't played very many games at all yet.

Quote:

SDSUCharger said:
I know its little but I'm still in shocked how they didnt even try to improve the create a team

Agreed. Looks like another year where I'll only dabble a little with it in February or March.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #32
MVP

So, this year's edition is basically more on subtle changes than any significant changes?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »