Home

Possible way for a future NCAA title?

This is a discussion on Possible way for a future NCAA title? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

OVR: 0
Possible way for a future NCAA title?

Okay so I might be completely wrong but it doesn't hurt to ask. I noticed 2k was able to get uniforms, logos, branding, stadiums etc from colleges to have a College Career mode in 2k. Couldn't EA go about the same and acquire these licensing rights for all D1 teams and make sure that they randomly generate all players with absolute 0 likeness.

With the OS community we could edit and change all likenesses ourselves in 2-3 weeks after release and we could have our very own ncaa game back. Thoughts?

Ps. Sorry if I'm just completely wrong I don't know!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

Re: Possible way for a future NCAA title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDixon120
Okay so I might be completely wrong but it doesn't hurt to ask. I noticed 2k was able to get uniforms, logos, branding, stadiums etc from colleges to have a College Career mode in 2k. Couldn't EA go about the same and acquire these licensing rights for all D1 teams and make sure that they randomly generate all players with absolute 0 likeness.

With the OS community we could edit and change all likenesses ourselves in 2-3 weeks after release and we could have our very own ncaa game back. Thoughts?

I believe that had been addressed on here before. As far as that goes, The NCAA and the likeness people know that we will make the rosters ourselves and put them on roster share. That being said, they would probably block online roster share and maybe even local roster share. Honestly, I would play if it was all generical players on real teams! In fact, that might even be better becuase they would have less of an excuse to keep FCS teams out with accurate rosters not being an issue... Anyway, getting sidetracked..

TL;DR NCAA knows about roster share, probably wont allow it.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabursock55
I believe that had been addressed on here before. As far as that goes, The NCAA and the likeness people know that we will make the rosters ourselves and put them on roster share. That being said, they would probably block online roster share and maybe even local roster share. Honestly, I would play if it was all generical players on real teams! In fact, that might even be better becuase they would have less of an excuse to keep FCS teams out with accurate rosters not being an issue... Anyway, getting sidetracked..

TL;DR NCAA knows about roster share, probably wont allow it.
Hopefully at worse you can edit and change names. And do it yourself. But anyone who plays a dynasty beyond 4-5 years. Isn't to concerned about actual likeness. So we'd all survive.

Also thinking about the likeness. If we create a likeness. And not sell. I thought that was legal. I'm no expert though and can be wrong.

I thought the whole issue was when they had a qb from Florida who was 240 and a lefty. That is was clear who the "fake" player was meant to imply.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
Rookie

daabsolute1's Arena

OVR: 6

This is why NCAA should have asked its loyal fanbase to be at the hearings...this is too easy of a fix. Eff you OBannon!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDixon120

You're not wrong.

EA would have to go to the schools -- that are not covered by the CLC -- individually and negotiate how much they're paid for the names & likenesses of the school, colors, uniforms, logos, etc.

Getting all of the FCS schools is the tough part. There's a reason why Duke, Syracuse, UNC, & Kentucky aren't in 2K.

I haven't followed all of the O'Bannon vs NCAA stuff, but my feeling is that EA would be gun-shy of trying a college game anytime soon.

While college students are still prevented from earning money from their collegiate careers, EA is not gonna chance making any game with a roster, that might have a player bear any sort of resemblance to any collegiate athletes.

If they do, you know you'll have that 1 4th string OT who swears that they're using his likenesses, & here we go again.

One thing that I think could work is a backdated college football game tho. Title it College Football Honors or something, and fill all of the rosters, for schools they get w/ the CLC license -- and any others they can wrangle in, with ppl who went to that school in the recent past (or longer if needed) but are in the NFL, or HoF. They have the rights to the members of both.

Give us 100% customization of roster, season length, and post-season structure, along with all of the features of NCAA 14...and it's the ultimate

Similar to all of the options that we have in MLBTS. Every year it gets easier & easier for OSFM to be released, and all SCEA is doing is giving us ultimate customizability.

Completely unrealistic, and virtually no way it happens. But it would utilize the licenses they have, and no one in college can say "hey that's me" when it's either an NFL player, or HoFer, out of the box.

What a consumer does after they purchase the product is neither EA, nor the NCAA's problem.

A guy can dream tho, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
You're not wrong.

EA would have to go to the schools -- that are not covered by the CLC -- individually and negotiate how much they're paid for the names & likenesses of the school, colors, uniforms, logos, etc.

Getting all of the FCS schools is the tough part. There's a reason why Duke, Syracuse, UNC, & Kentucky aren't in 2K.

I haven't followed all of the O'Bannon vs NCAA stuff, but my feeling is that EA would be gun-shy of trying a college game anytime soon.

While college students are still prevented from earning money from their collegiate careers, EA is not gonna chance making any game with a roster, that might have a player bear any sort of resemblance to any collegiate athletes.

If they do, you know you'll have that 1 4th string OT who swears that they're using his likenesses, & here we go again.

One thing that I think could work is a backdated college football game tho. Title it College Football Honors or something, and fill all of the rosters, for schools they get w/ the CLC license -- and any others they can wrangle in, with ppl who went to that school in the recent past (or longer if needed) but are in the NFL, or HoF. They have the rights to the members of both.

Give us 100% customization of roster, season length, and post-season structure, along with all of the features of NCAA 14...and it's the ultimate

Similar to all of the options that we have in MLBTS. Every year it gets easier & easier for OSFM to be released, and all SCEA is doing is giving us ultimate customizability.

Completely unrealistic, and virtually no way it happens. But it would utilize the licenses they have, and no one in college can say "hey that's me" when it's either an NFL player, or HoFer, out of the box.

What a consumer does after they purchase the product is neither EA, nor the NCAA's problem.

A guy can dream tho, right?
The last statement is bang on. What we do with it out of the box. Is something they cannot control. As long as we don't sell it. We should avoid any copyright law. Free distribution of an edit shouldn't cause any red flags.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKRDIBL
The last statement is bang on. What we do with it out of the box. Is something they cannot control. As long as we don't sell it. We should avoid any copyright law. Free distribution of an edit shouldn't cause any red flags.

It wouldn't.

It's what's done with MLB The Show. The minor league players aren't in the MLBPA. Sony/SCEA have contracts with the MLB & the MLBPA. So, there's no real minor league players out of the box. (Unless it's someone in the MLBPA, who's placed on a minor league roster).

The community creates the players in the minors, and it's not a problem, because Sony is in no way benefiting from the communities' work. All of the tools that are used to create the players are tools provided in-game, without the need to spend extra money on them.

So you buy the game, with those tools, and without minor league players. SCEA has nothing to do with what content is created in-game.

EA could take a similar approach, but to avoid anyone saying "hey wait a minute, that's me!!" they'd need to fill the rosters with unquestionably, identifiable people, whose license(s) they have. O'bannon opened the flood gates, so EA would have to ensure that situation doesn't happen again.

I think that's where the problem lies. It'd be too much effort to appease a small percentage of the gaming community.

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 01-12-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Never mind. The CLC licenses some conferences & Bowls.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
It wouldn't.

It's what's done with MLB The Show. The minor league players aren't in the MLBPA. Sony/SCEA have contracts with the MLB & the MLBPA. So, there's no real minor league players out of the box. (Unless it's someone in the MLBPA, who's placed on a minor league roster).

The community creates the players in the minors, and it's not a problem, because Sony is in no way benefiting from the communities' work. All of the tools that are used to create the players are tools provided in-game, without the need to spend extra money on them.

So you buy the game, with those tools, and without minor league players. SCEA has nothing to do with what content is created in-game.

EA could take a similar approach, but to avoid anyone saying "hey wait a minute, that's me!!" they'd need to fill the rosters with unquestionably, identifiable people, whose license(s) they have. O'bannon opened the flood gates, so EA would have to ensure that situation doesn't happen again.

I think that's where the problem lies. It'd be too much effort to appease a small percentage of the gaming community.
If EA, or 2K did do a collegiate game they could just as easily create a "fake" (not necessarily generic) roster. Sorta like Blitz: The League. The rosters were set but they were totally unique players. They even got kinda cute by naming some players after NFL stars. I still remember that beast receiver T.O Moss. Of course EA wouldn't go anywhere near that. But I would like to see them doing what 2K did. The collegiate players were all generic, but they look real, and they are numbered sequentially. Some teams had low single digit numbers in order, while some had players numbered between like 20 and 30.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »