Home

NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable

This is a discussion on NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2016, 01:02 AM   #25
Rookie

NKRDIBL's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NCAA Punts on Athlete Likeness Monetization, College Games Still Not Viable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Sure ea could make a game with completely randomized rosters but once they allow those rosters to edited and shared the likeness issue rears its head
They're not selling likeness or making profit off of a players likeness when rosters are edited. Or am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2016, 09:34 AM   #26
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Sweet - don't have to waste money on a new console.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #27
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2

Eventually athletes will be able to make money of their likenesses. It's coming. Some of the power 5 want to be able to do this in some form but the NCAA says no. Except now the power 5 have threatened to disband from the NCAA so the NCAA will eventually have to give in.....and if that doesn't happen, schools will be forced to give compensation. The courts are already deciding to side with athletes as we've seen with the O'Bannon trial.
We are just a long ways away from this coming back. But it will come back. EA could bring it back now in theory but they would be missing several schools and conferences which have backed out in fear of litigation.

What I don't fully understand is how other mediums are still making money off of athletes likenesses. For example, I picked up an issue of SI last month with Dashaun Watson on the cover....Huh? We still have countless Magazines, internet sites, tv, radio, etc sill monetizing off of student athlete likenesses.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #28
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Sure ea could make a game with completely randomized rosters but once they allow those rosters to edited and shared the likeness issue rears its head
Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but how would creating an "editable" roster with completely generic players violate any likeness rules? I can see how the sharing would be an issue, but I would think that editing players who are completely generic would not raise any issues as long as the rosters can't be shared. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #29
Rookie

trainerdave's Arena

I agree, create random rosters with similar ratings and random likenesses would be easy. They just need to make sure Power 5 teams are good and smaller conference schools are weaker.

If I edit the rosters to resemble the current NCAA in which EA is not profiting directly off of my rosters and neither would I. I guess the only catch would be NCAA sales would most likely increase because someone has created accurate rosters that interest people to buy the game. However if I add a created player that resembles a pro, say a minor league baseball player in MLB15, they are not going to get royalties or be able to sue Sony for their likeness. Definitely a grey area right now. I still don't understand how EA can say that NCAA is not a viable series, NCAA football is very popular right now and growing with the new playoff system. I miss NCAA Football and NCAA Basketball dearly, it leaves an empty hole in my video gaming enjoyment!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #30
Rookie

Why are these people so stupid? Just like a few others have mentioned, randomize every aspect of a player from height/weight to skin color, to jersey number. Then allow customization unseen before in a sports game where the gamers do the "dirty" work. The only thing authentic should be the schools, stadium, and fight songs/cheers. What are they afraid of when 2K just released a game with actual college teams? Where are the thinkers among these damn people?
Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #31
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom2311
Why are these people so stupid? Just like a few others have mentioned, randomize every aspect of a player from height/weight to skin color, to jersey number. Then allow customization unseen before in a sports game where the gamers do the "dirty" work. The only thing authentic should be the schools, stadium, and fight songs/cheers. What are they afraid of when 2K just released a game with actual college teams? Where are the thinkers among these damn people?
I agree. But I think the thing is we don't know what EA knows. They know what percentage of NCAA Football buyers downloaded and shared rosters. That's with them aiding us some by having the rosters accurate for the most part. Heck, I used to edit (name) my Bulldogs and roll with generated names until a named roster became available. Maybe they don't see sales and stuff being as high should the rosters not be that way and we're not able to share or edit them. Sure, I'd buy and probably most of OS and hardcore College Football fans. But would the sales reach where they were previously? I'm not sure, honestly. And this is an investment at the end of the day. From what I understand, developing a video-game is an expensive endeavor. I could live with what 2K did with the college teams in 2K (no editing, generic, but still realistic) but I don't think it would catch on the way we think it would. Here's hoping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #32
Rookie

YEARofTHEcardinal's Arena

OVR: 0

NCAA 14 still has roster share, so I don't think there would be any problem with making a new game with randomized rosters and roster share. The demand is higher than ever for this series since of next gen consoles

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »