Home

Strategy

This is a discussion on Strategy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Strategy

Let's all help each other out and start posting some strategy. I have two defensive questions. First, what't the best defense against the option? I just played a guy who puts in his fastest cornerback as his qb with Wisconson, who has a bunch of horses up front and he was pretty difficult to defend on the option. Second, how do I keep the quarterback from running on a rollout pass? It seems like all too often my d-end is the only thing standing between the qb and a huge run, as my dbs all have their backs turned in coverage. The d-end frequently gets blocked and the qb gets a 15 yard gain. Tips anyone?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
GATA

bdunn13's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Strategy

"Second, how do I keep the quarterback from running on a rollout pass?"

You can put a spy on him(the defensive plays with the blue circle).

" Second, how do I keep the quarterback from running on a rollout pass?"

Play more zone and the D will be closer to the QB and they won't have their back turned.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

The above strategies are right on. I've had problems with people picking a team with a good running QB, picking the Hail Mary every play and then trying to run with the QB. The spy + zone defense works well - I use the Spy 3 Zone out of Dime defense quite a bit when this is a problem.

Oh, and putting in a speedy WR to play QB is ultimate CHEESE.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Rookie

GaryM05's Arena

Great thread!

Here's a question: How do I make the zone D work for me? It seems like everytime I call it, the QB (CPU or online) finds a wide-open WR or TE streaking across the middle, or flaring out to the sideline. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

I get killed by those sideline plays in the cover 2. Seems like the WR always goes right by the CB in the flat but the safety doesnt come over quick enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Rookie

Cover 2 really only works against short passes and passes to the middle of the field. If you look at the coverage responsiblities in a cover 2, the safeties are covering the deep halves of the field and the middle defenders (personnel depends on defensive package) basically split the short/middle of the field. However, if a WR is running a deep out or corner route, he'll end up being past the short defenders and in front of the deep defenders. There are a few ways to guard against this: (1) get pressure on the QB. Don't give the QB time to hit that WR. Blitzing helps. (2) Mix up your zone coverages. Try running a cover-3 zone (safeties and a CB divide deep field into thirds) or different variations of the cover-2. I personally prefer the cover-3 to a cover-2 because it defends better against the long pass.

Still, the main thing with the zone is getting pressure on the QB. With any zone, there will be soft spots and if you give the QB and the WRs time, they will find that soft spot.

Hope that helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »