Home

Custom Tier Conferences

This is a discussion on Custom Tier Conferences within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Rookie

itzBroseph's Arena

OVR: 0
Custom Tier Style Conferences

I'm sure someone has done this idea before, but just wanted to share my personal setup. I am not a soccer fan, but I always liked the English Football League setup with multiple tiers, and teams that move up and down the ladder. I wanted to consolidate teams to make the most even and competitive conferences so I decided to try and come up with a tier system for NCAA 14. Here is my setup:

WEST A (BIG 10)EAST A (SEC)
USCOHIO STATE
UCLAPENN STATE
STANFORDLOUISVILLE
OREGONNOTRE DAME
NEBRASKAVIRGINIA TECH
WASHINGTONWEST VIRGINIA
MIDWEST A (BIG 10)SOUTH A (SEC)
MICHIGANALABAMA
OKLAHOMAGEORGIA
LSUCLEMSON
TEXASFLORIDA
TEXAS A&MFLORIDA STATE
WISCONSINAUBURN
MICHIGAN STATETENNESSEE
WEST B (PAC 12)MIDWEST B (C-USA)SOUTH B (BIG 12)EAST B (ACC)
WASHINGTON STATEIOWA STATEARKANSASMARYLAND
CALIOWAOLE MISSPITT
ARIZONAMISSOURIMIAMIMARSHALL
COLORADOBAYLORMISSISIPPI STATETEMPLE
UTAHTCUNC STATERUTGERS
KANSAS STATETEXAS TECHSOUTH CAROLINASYRACUSE
BYUNORTHWESTERNNORTH CAROLINACINCINNATI
OREGON STATEOKLAHOMA STATEGEORGIA TECHVIRGINIA
ARIZONA STATEHOUSTONVANDERBILTBOSTON COLLEGE
BOISE STATEMINNESOTAMEMPHISPURDUE
AIR FORCESMUUSFARMY
HAWAIITULSADUKENAVY
WEST C (MT. WEST)MIDWEST C (MAC)SOUTH C (SUN BELT)EAST C (AMERICAN)
SAN DIEGO STATEILLINOISECUTOLEDO
COLORADO STATENORTHERN ILLINOISWAKE FORESTWESTERN KENTUCKY
NEVADAEASTERN MICHIGANARKANSAS STATEKENTUCKY
SAN JOSE STATEWESTERN MICHIGANSOUTHERN MISSBALL STATE
FRESNO STATECENTRAL MICHIGANUCFOHIO
UTAH STATENORTH TEXASFIUAKRON
WYOMINGTEXAS STATEFLORIDA ATLANTICMIAMI OHIO
UNLVUTSAGEORGIA STATEUMASS
NEW MEXICO STATEUTEPSOUTH ALABAMAINDIANA
IDAHOLOUISIANA TECHMIDDLE TENNESSEEUCONN
NEW MEXICOLOUISIANA MONROECOASTAL CAROL. (RICE)BUFFALO
KANSASLOUISIANA LAFAYETTEAPP STATE (OLD DOM)BOWLING GREEN
WEST D (INDP.)MIDWEST D (INDP.)SOUTH D (INDP.)EAST D (INDP.)
NDSU (UAB)TULANEGA SOUTHERN (TROY)KENT STATE
TIER 1LAST PLACE TEAM FROM EACH DIVISION MOVES DOWN TO TIER 2
TIER 2ALL CHAMPS MOVE UP TO TIER 1 --- ALL LAST PLACE MOVE DOWN TO TIER 3
TIER 3ALL CHAMPS MOVE UP TO TIER 2 --- ALL LAST PLACE MOVE DOWN TO TIER 4
TIER 4ALL AUTO MOVE UP TO TIER 3

This is version 3.0 - I originally tried to split it North, South, East, West, but I had a hard time balancing out each one. I have also tried this current setup with the Tier 1 conference champions getting a bowl bid to play each other for the league championship, but it didn't always work out because sometimes one of the teams would make it to the BCS National Championship. I know some people may have some teams in different regions, but I worked on it for a while and this was the closest I could come to geographic alignment while keeping all teams from the same state together and keeping each region with a balanced number of teams. The South and Midwest have 1 more team in the Tier 1 division because of leftovers, and they are the more stacked regions anyways. I also have replaced 4 teams with Teambuilder's.

The way I like to play is I chose any team from Tier 3 or below and start with them in the Tier 4 Independent. If it's not the one listed in Independent I just swap them so there's only one. This gives you one year of recruiting before you step up to Tier 3. My goal is to climb the ladder with my team until I either win a Tier 1 conference championship or get fired. Once that happens I start over with a new team. I have been tweaking the system so I haven't made it very far yet, but I am really enjoying it so far. So pretty wild teams have been climbing and dropping, and it adds a nice change every season.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions to improve the system, let me know! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by itzBroseph; 12-31-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Banned

martywebb's Arena

Re: Custom Tier Style Conferences

Love this idea! My friend and I have been doing the concept over the last few years, here's a couple of the set-ups we had.

The first attempt was 4 Big Conferences (with 3 Tiers in each.) This was when the WAC was in-game.

North, East, South, West, with the same amount of teams in the top 2 Tiers, and the leftovers in the Third Tier. It was a lot of fun, but we both ended up taking jobs at Oregon and Oregon State, so the N/E/S got a little neglected attention wise.

The second attempt that was a lot of fun was (with only 11 conferences in game, including Independents,) two 'leagues.' We drafted teams, placed them across Five Tiers, and the remaining were left in the Independents. The top two records in the Independents would float to our bottom Tier (using a coin-flip.) This also created some crazy stacked conferences, a lot of fun coach movements, and as we started in the bottom Tier, was a fun race to the top. I think it took 8 or 9 seasons for us to get even in the Top 2 because sliders are real.

The third was a solo attempt of mine. 11 Tiers! Somewhere there's an unfinished dynasty thread with me recounting the seasons on here. I recently updated the rosters and did the same, and now I have an 8-team playoff using the mods. The Top 4 Tiers have 9 Teams each, the 5th through 8th Teirs have 12 Teams, and the 9th and 10th have 14 Teams. Lowest of the lows go down to the Independents (11th Tier.)

So along with the crazy playoffs, and custom bowl set-ups, this world has been my favorite. Top Tier teams struggling (because a conference schedule of Ohio State/Michigan/Alabama/Stanford/etc is grueling, allows for a TON of coach movement. Georgia went from Tier 2 to Tier 6 in four seasons, that same world had June Jones takeover Army, Nick Saban takeover Eastern Michigan and Les Miles takeover UL-Lafayette to name a few.

I love seeing other people come up with the same or similar ideas. I wouldn't half-mind an Online Dynasty with 11 others doing a set-up like this.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
MVP

whughes's Arena

Re: Custom Tier Conferences

There was a thread about this not too long ago. Check it out: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-dynasty.html

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 12-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Rookie

itzBroseph's Arena

Re: Custom Tier Style Conferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by martywebb
Love this idea! My friend and I have been doing the concept over the last few years, here's a couple of the set-ups we had.

The first attempt was 4 Big Conferences (with 3 Tiers in each.) This was when the WAC was in-game.

North, East, South, West, with the same amount of teams in the top 2 Tiers, and the leftovers in the Third Tier. It was a lot of fun, but we both ended up taking jobs at Oregon and Oregon State, so the N/E/S got a little neglected attention wise.

The second attempt that was a lot of fun was (with only 11 conferences in game, including Independents,) two 'leagues.' We drafted teams, placed them across Five Tiers, and the remaining were left in the Independents. The top two records in the Independents would float to our bottom Tier (using a coin-flip.) This also created some crazy stacked conferences, a lot of fun coach movements, and as we started in the bottom Tier, was a fun race to the top. I think it took 8 or 9 seasons for us to get even in the Top 2 because sliders are real.

The third was a solo attempt of mine. 11 Tiers! Somewhere there's an unfinished dynasty thread with me recounting the seasons on here. I recently updated the rosters and did the same, and now I have an 8-team playoff using the mods. The Top 4 Tiers have 9 Teams each, the 5th through 8th Teirs have 12 Teams, and the 9th and 10th have 14 Teams. Lowest of the lows go down to the Independents (11th Tier.)

So along with the crazy playoffs, and custom bowl set-ups, this world has been my favorite. Top Tier teams struggling (because a conference schedule of Ohio State/Michigan/Alabama/Stanford/etc is grueling, allows for a TON of coach movement. Georgia went from Tier 2 to Tier 6 in four seasons, that same world had June Jones takeover Army, Nick Saban takeover Eastern Michigan and Les Miles takeover UL-Lafayette to name a few.

I love seeing other people come up with the same or similar ideas. I wouldn't half-mind an Online Dynasty with 11 others doing a set-up like this.

That's so awesome man! Yea I have seen some crazy stuff so far, but I love it. Nick Saban is in the hot-seat right now and I think he may get the boot after this year. I really like the idea of drafting teams. Might have to try that sometime with some buddies.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Rookie

itzBroseph's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whughes
There was a thread about this not too long ago. Check it out: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-dynasty.html

Thanks! I'm interested to see how other people set it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
MVP

whughes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzBroseph
Thanks! I'm interested to see how other people set it up.
No problem. Ive personally used timeyto's setup and jello's setup (you can find both in that other thread I linked) and they both work pretty well. Although I prefer jello's

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »