Home

Defensive Playcaling Advice/Suggestions

This is a discussion on Defensive Playcaling Advice/Suggestions within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Defensive Playcaling Advice/Suggestions

It could be my players sucking right now. It could be the sliders. Or could be the fact that I never played a down of real football in my entire life. However, I love college football. But I know nothing about zone and man coverages. I can't read defenses and say oh I need to audible to this. Or hey the opponent's offense has a 1 wr, 2 te, 2 rb set. I have no idea what defends that. I know my team is sucking right now on defense.

Any advice?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Defensive Playcaling Advice/Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
It could be my players sucking right now. It could be the sliders. Or could be the fact that I never played a down of real football in my entire life. However, I love college football. But I know nothing about zone and man coverages. I can't read defenses and say oh I need to audible to this. Or hey the opponent's offense has a 1 wr, 2 te, 2 rb set. I have no idea what defends that. I know my team is sucking right now on defense.

Any advice?

Yeah man I don't know hardly anything either... here's the couple things I do know:
For zone, cover 2 is for short to moderate passes. cover 3 is roughly the same.
cover 4 is moderate to deeper passes.
Man is all similar (or at least that's how I look at it). press triangle and you can either press or play soft coverage.
i recommend using the 4-3 playbook. It uses 4 d lineman and 3 lb, and 4 db. Other packages. It's good for stopping the run.
The 4-3 formation in the playbook is more for stopping the run. The Nickel and Dime are good pass defense packages. Quarter has a package call 3 deep, used pretty much only when your trying to stop the deep deep ball (hail marrys).
L1 allows you to adjust the d line, and R1 allows you to adjust linebackers. Triangle is for DBs.
Let me know if you need more clarification or something
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
MVP

whughes's Arena

Since you play NCAA 06 the play books and controls are going to be different because most of us here play NCAA 14. However with that being said I think you should run the 4-3 playbook because it's probably the easiest to run for someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of football. When you're on defense, before you pick a play but after the offense has selected their play, a box should pop up and tell you what personnel the offense has on the field. What I mean by that is that it'll tell you how many running backs, tight ends, and wide receiver are on the field. What you need to do is match your defensive personnel. So for example, say the offense comes out in a power I formation. The box should say (If i remember correctly this is how it looks on 06) TE:1 HB:2 WR:1 QB:1. So seeing they only have on receiver on the field but two running backs, something out of a base 4-3 formation should matchup well. Another example, HB:1 QB:1 WR:4 the offense has 4 receivers on the field so you need to put 4 cornerbacks on the field to cover their receivers. You should call a play from the dime formation. What I do (unless I have super good linebackers) is if it's 1-2 wide receivers call a play from the 4-3, if it's 3 receivers call something from the nickel playbook, 4 receivers is dime, 5 receivers is quarters. If you need any more clarification just ask and I'll try to help

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #4
MVP

whughes's Arena

Unhappy Re: Defensive Playcaling Advice/Suggestions

As far as man coverages vs zone coverage it's mostly a personal preference although some situations call for one over the other. Some guys play almost exclusively man coverage, others play exclusively zone, and others use a mix of both. It also depends on the players on your team. If you have guys who are good at man coverage but suck at zone you obviously don't want to run zone coverage.

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 01-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
PS2/PSP Modding

antdroid's Arena

There's a lot of good basic things about football plays/playcalling here:
http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2014/8/14...s-os-resources

also Al (Volwalker) breaks down NCAA 06 very very well on his site and youtube channel. His site is www.ncaa06revival.com -- there is also a thread he started on here about it too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

The madden 17 skills trainer will teach you everything you need to know about coverages
Old 01-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Pro

I looked up tons today and read and watched videos like crazy. I learned on offense not to sprint right away so blocks could be set up. That crap didn't work on QB Choice. I saw the ncaa revival run it on YouTube over and over. Looked simple. Not with these guys of mine. My team sucks and or sliders are too tough. Defense I know about the box that pops up to show the other teams personnel. I use it and still get burnt up the middle or on bomb plays.

Figuring I need to create own sliders or something. I just don't see how cpu can be set that much higher than human and you guys still are successful. There have been a lot of slider edits. Not sure which is the latest ones.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
PS2/PSP Modding

antdroid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
I looked up tons today and read and watched videos like crazy. I learned on offense not to sprint right away so blocks could be set up. That crap didn't work on QB Choice. I saw the ncaa revival run it on YouTube over and over. Looked simple. Not with these guys of mine. My team sucks and or sliders are too tough. Defense I know about the box that pops up to show the other teams personnel. I use it and still get burnt up the middle or on bomb plays.

Figuring I need to create own sliders or something. I just don't see how cpu can be set that much higher than human and you guys still are successful. There have been a lot of slider edits. Not sure which is the latest ones.
Can you post what difficulty level (varsity, all-american, heisman, etc) you're using as well as what the sliders are so can give you more constructive feedback?

Also what issues are you running into with running the option play? I find it best to start with a normal run and then sprint, and then toss the ball just as I'm about to be tackled to the HB if he's in position to receive the lateral, otherwise, if the defender is keying in on the HB, then its a QB keeper.

When you say you're burnt up the middle or on bomb plays - are you talking about your team on defense and getting killed on long passes by the CPU offense? That happens with NCAA 06 more frequently than would be expected. That's probably the one flaw in 06, in which the long ball is easier to be successful with than other games - both for human or for the CPU. You can tone it down a little bit with sliders but you do give up other things like more dropped passes or overly perfect dbs. I actually keep my QB and WR sliders pretty much at 50 and my Def Awareness and Knockdowns around there too, but put Int down to 0 or 5 for both AI and human (playing on All-American).

The long ball thing doesnt bother me too much. Watch CFB today and it's an air fest anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »