Home

Kirby Smart UGA defense

This is a discussion on Kirby Smart UGA defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Kirby Smart UGA defense

How similar is Smart's UGA defensive similar to what he had done at 'Bama? Also what type of plays should I recruit as d-linemen, linebacker, corner, and safety to emulate his scheme?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0
Exclamation Re: Kirby Smart UGA defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftroy7
How similar is Smart's UGA defensive similar to what he had done at 'Bama? Also what type of plays should I recruit as d-linemen, linebacker, corner, and safety to emulate his scheme?
You've come to the right spot.

So if we are talking about what Bama was doing in '13 then it's not very similar to what they are doing modern day. They used to run very basic cover 2/quarters/man scheme and just out athlete the offense. With Pruitt they've gotten far more aggressive in their blitz packages and play more Cover 3.

Uga this past season ran a lot of base 34 defense. Like they did at Bama they play a lot of base quarters coverage with some cover 2 and cover 3 mixed in. What they did differently this year is they did bring a lot of different blitz looks on passing downs. IMO they were one of the more successful teams in blitzing on passing downs that I saw.

Outside of their base 34 defense, they mostly used a 3-3-5 Nickel as they passing down defense using 3 bigger bodied DL and their best pass rushing linebacker. Those are about the only two personnel packages they used.

For the defensive line, you're going to need two bigger bodied, run focused players and 1 slightly smaller penetrating defensive linemen. It's a lot like what the Falcons/Seahawks are doing with their fronts. Two 2-gapping players, likely playing DT and LE on the game. Both should way north of 310 pounds. The RE should way in the 285-305 pound range and be a little more athletic.

Your outside linebackers for the most part are going to be interchangeable. Looking in the 6'3+ range and north of 245 pounds. One will blitz more than the other, that's usually the ROLB, so if one guy can cover a little bit he's better off at LOLB where he will lineup over the TE more.

Your middle linebackers will be thumpers. If they are athletic too then even better, but first and foremost you are looking for players who can defend the run. Looking for 6'2+ and north of 230 pounds.

Corners we are also going big. Looking mostly at guys taller than 6 feet, the taller the better. Looking for athleticism more than pollish.

Safety is actually the position where you can get away with a slightly smaller player. They will be pass first defenders who don't have as much of a dedication to the run since the rest of your team should be able to lock that down. Looking in the 5'11+ and north of 190 pounds, guys who can really fly around the field.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Kirby Smart UGA defense

I appreciate your write up, man. Great stuff. What about Jim Chaney's offense at UGA?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftroy7
I appreciate your write up, man. Great stuff. What about Jim Chaney's offense at UGA?
Sure thing, I would say it was mostly bad this year.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

I kid. Kind of, they were terrible. Here is what they ideally want to do:

Ideally Kirby wants a Bama style offense, old Bama, not like what we saw this year. At least for now. He hired Chaney and the OL coach, Pittman, to build an offense that was big and could run on anyone. I would probably use either Bamas or Arkansas playbook as a base. Add in a pistol formation of two because Eason is/was more comfortable when he's not directly under center. They also went 3 and 5 wide a good bit on passing downs. They didn't throw it a ton outside successfully. A lot of the big plays went to Isaiah McKenzie out of the slot or Isaac Nauta at TE. UGA wants to be able to run Power O against anyone, that's their first goal and then go Play action off of that.

As far as recruiting goes:

With Eason and the next guy they are getting they are true, deep ball pocket passers. They are actually looking in a more dual threat direction in the 2018 and later classes. Take that fwiw, maybe Kirby liked what is old team did last year with Jalen Hurts and long term will move in that direction but it's too early to know for sure.

RB they are going big. You will notice this as a theme. They had two RB commits for a long time and when push came to shove they kept the bigger stronger back and kicked the faster smaller guy out the door.

WRs are all 6'2+

Offensive linemen I think average 6'6 and 315+ pounds out of HS. Almost exclusively run first OL.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »