Home

Something's bothering me about coverage assignments

This is a discussion on Something's bothering me about coverage assignments within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
L*v* *nd H*n*r t* M**m*

mazhirui's Arena

OVR: 5
Something\'s bothering me about coverage assignments

I've seen it happen several times, but this one was the most blatant (and easiest to explain), so I thought I'd mention it and see what everyone thinks.

Western Michigan (CPU) lines up in a Shotgun-Spread offense (4 WR's, 2 to the right, 2 to the left, 1 HB set just to the left of the QB). I called a Dime defense so I had CB's matched up. I called a 2-Deep Man Coverage (the safeties have deep zone responsibility, everyone else is man to man). I always control the MLB, and assume I'm covering the HB on this play. A quick check of the coach cam confirms that. The ball is snapped, the HB immediately heads to the flat so I start to cover him. However, my CB covering the slot receiver on the side the HB is moving towards breaks off coverage of the WR to cover the HB. The WR is all alone, runs a skinny post and picks up 30-35 yards on the play.

Anyone else seen this? Is this supposed to mimic awareness and be a "blown coverage?" If so, probably not the best way to do it, it's a little blown out of proportion. Is it a bug in the AI? Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Something\'s bothering me about coverage assignments

I made a thread similar to this one awhile ago. I don't really no what to say about it. It costs me a lot of passing yards each time I play. It doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

If you choose to manually control the LB's, CB's or Safety's
while you are in man coverage you run the risk of giving up the big play because in this years game the CB and the LB will very often switch assignments on certain routes. I haven't studied the plays enough to predict when it will happen thou. You have two viable choices. 1- let the cpu control the players(and deal with the mismatch.) or automatically cover the deep threat every time sometimes giving up the flat or the inside route.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

Try not using dime-packaged man coverages, it's a bad defense. I rarely use dime except in hail mary situations and I never have had that happen to me in 3 seasons of dynasty play and 15+ exhibition games. Besides, if you have 4 CBs on the field, chances are that 4th CB is not going to be that good, that might also answer your question.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:28 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Easy solution:

Go with zone coverage.

JK, I hate this too. I like to run man D and this screws it up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2004, 12:45 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

the DBs and or LBs will swithc men on crossing routes...flats and such...its realistic...just not good if you dont know when they are gonna throw the switcharooo on ya.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:52 AM   #7
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6

Yep, this comes in handy if you want to play man coverage against bunch or a receiver who has been motioned near the line of scrimmage. EA Tiburon did such a bad job on the offensive playbooks that defensively you really only need to worry about the deep ball and the running game if you're playing online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »