Home

Starting A New Dynasty - What Is a "Must Do"?

This is a discussion on Starting A New Dynasty - What Is a "Must Do"? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Starting A New Dynasty - What Is a "Must Do"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2360
For me it's all about balance, and allowing teams to establish themselves as Dynasties, if they perform... E.G. I had a Dynasty a while back, by year 2020, Nevada was in National Contention for my 8-team playoff system year in and year out, out of the MWC... They made it I think 3 years in a row.. I just like the idea of the "little guys" being able to rise up...

Well, if you decide to use this concept, my #1 recommendation is changing around bowl-bids a little bit, to more reflect this balance.. Give the other conferences outside of the Power 5 the chance to make an impact, and don't cut them off... Some guys will literally go in and sim, and force an 11-0 ULL to lose... I don't do that, because I like the Cinderella story.

In my current Dynasty, I haven't used the editor yet, but I have re-adjusted the conferences to reflect "balance" in the BCS system. E.G. Because the American Athletic Conference technically is pre-programmed to have their #1 team represented in a BCS Bowl, I put Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Army and Navy in that conference, but stripped away 4 other teams... Army and Navy are pretty good in my dynasty. After doing this, the conference has consistently put in a top-12 team in their BCS Bowl... Also, they only have 10 teams, because by defeault, they do not have enough bowl bids (5 to be exact, including BCS) to support a 12 or 14 team conference, by the games default of course. But you could change it with the editor.

Also, the Big12 has 12 teams, with a North and South division.

Another funny thing about my dynasty, is the PAC-12 is very weak right now.. So, the next thing on my list, is to possibly move a strong San Diego State team to the Pac12, they're up to 5 stars and have been top 25 three years in a row, with a good top 15 team last season. Also Fresno State might help.
One of the things I was going to do when simming from 2013 to 2017 was to take a lay of the land and see which teams are overperforming in a lower conference and decide whether or not they deserve to find their way into a Power 5. I think in your case, San Diego State is definitely deserving of a Pac-12 invite and makes complete sense. I'm also of the ilk that if a Cinderella story happens I'm not going to artificially change it by making them lose. I also don't run an 8-team playoff so it's more difficult for a Cinderella to make it into the playoff. Fixing the bowl tie-ins could also be a good way to get lower teams into the BCS games.

Adding Notre Dame, Army and Navy to the AAC seems to make a lot of sense, but I'm not sure about Virginia Tech. Since I'll be playing in the ACC with UNC, I would hate to lose a conference power. Who did you replace VTech with in the ACC? Also, who did you end up moving into the Big XII to get it back up to 12 teams?

Love these ideas though. Keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksForever
I global edit a few ratings for my team:

QB: -15 Accuracy, -15 Injury
HB: -20 Injury
FB/TE: -30 Injury
WR: -30 Injury
OL: -70 Injury
DL/LB: -40 Injury
DB: -35 Injury
K: -35 Kick Accuracy

I got these from someone on OS (I think either Jello17 or StoneCalf), so shoutout to whoever came up with these.
How much has this effected the injuries when it comes to simming games across the country? My fear when it comes to lowering injury ratings for players like that is that CPU teams will get decimated with injuries while my team won't see nearly as many (this always happens anyways) because my games will be played out.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1zzo23
One of the things I was going to do when simming from 2013 to 2017 was to take a lay of the land and see which teams are overperforming in a lower conference and decide whether or not they deserve to find their way into a Power 5. I think in your case, San Diego State is definitely deserving of a Pac-12 invite and makes complete sense. I'm also of the ilk that if a Cinderella story happens I'm not going to artificially change it by making them lose. I also don't run an 8-team playoff so it's more difficult for a Cinderella to make it into the playoff. Fixing the bowl tie-ins could also be a good way to get lower teams into the BCS games.

Adding Notre Dame, Army and Navy to the AAC seems to make a lot of sense, but I'm not sure about Virginia Tech. Since I'll be playing in the ACC with UNC, I would hate to lose a conference power. Who did you replace VTech with in the ACC? Also, who did you end up moving into the Big XII to get it back up to 12 teams?

Love these ideas though. Keep them coming!

How much has this effected the injuries when it comes to simming games across the country? My fear when it comes to lowering injury ratings for players like that is that CPU teams will get decimated with injuries while my team won't see nearly as many (this always happens anyways) because my games will be played out.
I only edit these ratings for my team. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

"What we have accomplished is that we have shown ourselves that we are capable." -Les Miles
Old 10-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #11
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksForever
I only edit these ratings for my team. Sorry, forgot to mention that.
Ahh ok that makes much more sense. Are you getting a realistic amount of injuries? Also, have you seen an OL injuries for your team?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yes, follow his injury edits. I forgot to mention that. I'm in week four or five of a new dynasty that I've started in an attempt to be more thorough with a spreadsheet to record history, and I have three guys that got 10 week long injuries and another that is out for a week or so. I've had one d-lineman get hurt for a week and come back, another d-lineman is one of the 10-week long injuries (now like 7 weeks left or something).

Also, I know Jello's pictures are gone, but what he wrote describes it all pretty easily. If you're handy at all with Excel it is very easy to pick up, but even not being handy, I think it's still fairly easy. If needed, I might be able to replicate his pictures with the sheet that I am currently using in a Kansas dynasty.

Edit: For my dynasties, I also align conferences pretty closely to what they are in real life. But then, I balance it out so every conference has a CCG, which means taking some teams from C-USA and the American and spreading them out to the Sun Belt so every conference has at least 12 teams. This also means moving Texas A&M and Mizzou back to the Big 12.

Also, I turn off all bowl tie in's. I don't know why, but it seems to help keep mid majors from jumping to a title game (or maybe I've had good luck with them not going 12-0 against a poor schedule? Not that a Northern Illinois being in the title game bothers me much, anyways). Plus, I like the idea of getting sent to different bowls instead of Big Ten v. Pac 12 in the Rose Bowl every year. Helps keeps things fresh since I don't use the editor at all.

Last edited by itsbigmike; 10-25-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1zzo23
Just gave those a quick read and they seem simple enough to implement seamlessly without becoming too tedious or tough to track. I think I may roll with those and see how it goes. Do you use JoshC's slider set as well? I'm typically a Heisman only player but it seems like people are pretty impressed with his All-American sliders.
I did at first, but the game became way too easy for me on offense. I'm playing with Matt10's sliders now and after shortening the quarter length to 6 minutes (personal preference to keep games relatively quick), I'm getting reasonable scores and stats.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Rookie

I also add a spin on the injuries to my dynasty. I do globally by position for my team rather than trying to do the math of -15 here and there.

QB-65 inj rating
RB/FB/TE/WR-60 inj rating
OFF line-5 inj rating

ALL defensive players: 30 inj rating

Right now, my starting corner broke his collar bone, my QB is out 3 weeks with a knee injury, and I have an O-lineman out for a week. Forgot what for.

seems to have helped a bit with realism.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall458
I did at first, but the game became way too easy for me on offense. I'm playing with Matt10's sliders now and after shortening the quarter length to 6 minutes (personal preference to keep games relatively quick), I'm getting reasonable scores and stats.
I've been looking for someone who has tried both sliders, did you try JoshC's Heisman and All-American sliders? What makes Matts sliders better...are they just more difficult than JoshC's? Also, have you tried any of the other sliders cause I'm really trying to get a good slider set before I start a dynasty.

Last edited by VTHokie525; 10-25-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie525
I've been looking for someone who has tried both sliders, did you try JoshC's Heisman and All-American sliders? What makes Matts sliders better...are they just more difficult than JoshC's? Also, have you tried any of the other sliders cause I'm really trying to get a good slider set before I start a dynasty.
I used the All-American ones (the ones in his OP). Honestly I don't know which is "better" because I'm not that football savvy. Matt's sliders give me more of a challenge so I'm sticking with them for now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »