Home

We Still Need the NCAA to Change How It Works to Get Licensed College Sports Games

This is a discussion on We Still Need the NCAA to Change How It Works to Get Licensed College Sports Games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
We Still Need the NCAA to Change How It Works to Get Licensed College Sports Games

This week's news of a college football game definitely, maybe releasing in 2020 really spurred on a...

Written By: Chris Sanner

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: We Still Need the NCAA to Change How It Works to Get Licensed College Sports Game

the best hope other than the CLC its getting the ACC B12 and making up to 200 team build schools
Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: We Still Need the NCAA to Change How It Works to Get Licensed College Sports Game

High Impact, TV Sports Football, Front Page Football, Joe Montana Football, Walter Payton Football- were all great games that didn't have official licenses. I think a college game that has the proper atmosphere and collegiate pride will still have a great success rate minus real schools. in 2015, this may have been a true statement. Now, after all these years without one, we just want good gameplay, good atmosphere, and a focus on fun in a football game.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19

question I always have is, could a developer patch or add features to an existing college game without facing any litigation.
for example: could EA patch or add a playoff mode, update stadiums, conferences and game-play fixes into an NCAA14 without facing any lawsuits etc.
Im sure there people that would pay for such an update...
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Without the player... This game is dead.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Rookie

ElectricAggie's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Nothing is stopping someone like 2K, for example, from going the new route of using completely generic rosters with real licensed schools (or as many as they can get).
1. Update 2K football engine from APF 2K8.
2. Work out deals with the teams from the Power 5 conferences.
3. Create generic rosters from those teams, but have the same overall strength/weaknesses and offensive/defensive strategies for those teams so they each play "similar" to their real-life counterparts.
3. Literally call it "Power 5 Football" or "Power 5 College Football"
4. Once you make enough money, work on getting the rest of the NCAA.
5. Profit.

I don't see why these companies aren't jumping right now at the opportunity to pursue a college football game. I understand they are hesitant because of the risk of litigation, but once it is crystal clear on what you can and cannot do in a game, what else is the problem? The amount of media attention that an unlicensed game is getting right now should be enough to signal to EA, 2K, and other big-name developers that this could be a potential gold rush. The demand for a college football game has never been higher! All someone has to do is deliver!
Houston Rockets

Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAggie
3. Create generic rosters from those teams, but have the same overall strength/weaknesses and offensive/defensive strategies for those teams so they each play "similar" to their real-life counterparts.
5. Profit.

I don't see why these companies aren't jumping right now at the opportunity to pursue a college football game. I understand they are hesitant because of the risk of litigation, but once it is crystal clear on what you can and cannot do in a game, what else is the problem? The amount of media attention that an unlicensed game is getting right now should be enough to signal to EA, 2K, and other big-name developers that this could be a potential gold rush. The demand for a college football game has never been higher! All someone has to do is deliver!
As stated in the article, EA cancelled their game because big schools and conferences were starting to pull out from their licensing deals to be in the game so they could no longer have a game with all the big schools. Unless the schools change their stance on this, your scenario fails at step 2.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAggie
5. Profit.

I'm sure time and $ play into the factor. And what I mean by time and money is the amount of time to sift through all the legal documentation plus having your legal beagles looking it over for a price.

"Potential" is the key word and I'm all for a college football game. Some companies will take calculated risks and jump in, some companies want a guarantee it will make a profit before jumping in feet first.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »