Home

Any backwards compatibility update?

This is a discussion on Any backwards compatibility update? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Any backwards compatibility update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
It'll never happen due to licensing issues.

There's a reason why the only sports game that is backwards compatible is NBA Jam.
Fight night champion was recently made backwards compatible. Whether they do it for ncaa who knows.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by GrayDawg; 07-24-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayDawg
Fight night champion was recently made backwards compatible. Whether they do it for ncaa who knows.

Fight night was different. You're dealing with professionals who were paid to be in the game, and there was no new version released on the new consoles. So it made sense for them, get more sales since there's no new option, and even the people in the game may get more royalties.

NCAA however already had issues because they couldn't pay the athletes. I could see it opening up all new lawsuits.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Fight night was different. You're dealing with professionals who were paid to be in the game, and there was no new version released on the new consoles. So it made sense for them, get more sales since there's no new option, and even the people in the game may get more royalties.

NCAA however already had issues because they couldn't pay the athletes. I could see it opening up all new lawsuits.
I see your point there. All I am saying is they put forth the effort to make it compatible. Still think they could do the same thing just don't make it available for purchase as they are doing now. Essentially they are just making the game available on another system for those who already have the game. Don't see how that would open the door to more lawsuits if no more money is being made off of player's likeness.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #12
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
I see your point there. All I am saying is they put forth the effort to make it compatible. Still think they could do the same thing just don't make it available for purchase as they are doing now. Essentially they are just making the game available on another system for those who already have the game. Don't see how that would open the door to more lawsuits if no more money is being made off of player's likeness.

That could still open up legal issues just from them working on the game, and EA is a publicly traded company as is Microsoft. At the end of the day they are in the business to make $$ and get their investors return. Since Xbox uses emulation rather than true BC, changing game code to run on the One requires resources which would come without much benefit to either company. The goodwill gained among those that want it would be significantly outweighed by potential legal ramifications and the implied costs. If they were able to release a digital download, then it would be possible, but with the current legal climate, the odds are essentially 0. Would it be great if they did this? Absolutely! But I'd put my money on a new college title before this being made BC, and both are essentially 0% until the legal issues resolves.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:

I'll echo what Kozz said, it's not worth it to them. To make it backward compatible without selling new copies would literally just be a show of good faith to people who still play the game. They would be doing it to keep loyalty of people on a 5 year old game. It's just not worth it, because whether they do or not, if they came out with a new one everyone would buy it anyway.

I agree, it would be nice. If they did, and my Xbox died, I'd get an Xbox1. I literally only play my 360 for NCAA. It's just a good size financial investment with no gain for them, so it won't happen.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
Pro

GrayDawg's Arena

Quote:
I'll echo what Kozz said, it's not worth it to them. To make it backward compatible without selling new copies would literally just be a show of good faith to people who still play the game. They would be doing it to keep loyalty of people on a 5 year old game. It's just not worth it, because whether they do or not, if they came out with a new one everyone would buy it anyway.

I agree, it would be nice. If they did, and my Xbox died, I'd get an Xbox1. I literally only play my 360 for NCAA. It's just a good size financial investment with no gain for them, so it won't happen.
Fair enough. Probably won't based on the evidence so far. But also see plenty of games on the compatibility list that are not worth the trouble either lol. But still will continue to request this as there is no other game.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:27 AM   #15
Pro

Td1984's Arena

OVR: 13

Due to the ongoing legal issues, plus expired licenses, it can't ever happen.
MLB: Twins, Dodgers
NFL: Vikings
MLS: Minnesota United
Premier League: Manchester United
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

i don't understand why in general why all sports games can't legally be BC. IF you own the game, you own the game, you bought the rights to play that game and that's the end of that. I honestly think they legally could, whether it'd be NBA 2k, madden, MLB games or ncaa, I think the developers don't make them BC because they know the older games are better and you'll play those instead of buying the new games. Not saying everyone, but if I had m old madden and ncaa games on my XBOX one, I'd probably think twice about getting the new ones yearly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »