Home

Speed or Power RB's?

This is a discussion on Speed or Power RB's? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Speed or Power RB's?

I like having both as well, but you have to go beyond the tendency and speed rating sometimes and see how the guy actually plays on the field. I've had several HBs that I thought would be stars turn out to have average stats and a few fills-ins that turning into very productive backs. I've also had some strange ups-and-downs.

I'm not sure what triggered it, but for several seasons I could not run the ball very well at all. I didn't have a 1,000 year rusher for 6-8 seasons and my top 2 backs probably only had 1,000 -1,400 yards per year combined during that period. During this time I had power, speed, balanced backs and nothing worked consistently.

One guy who sticks out was a 3-star 72 OVR with 96 or 98 speed and decent acceleration. I thought he would be a great "special situations" back, but over 4 seasons he never made the 2 deep and was routinely stopped after a few yards. I don't think he had more than 500 yards in his career, despite having such high speed ratings.

About 4 seasons ago, that completely shifted and I became a majority rush team. After finally getting a back to break the 1,000 yard mark, I recruited a 5-star ATH with 94 speed who I put at HB as a speed back, but having a much stronger built with 68+ strength. The last 3 seasons I've paired him with a power back and dominated the running game going over 1,000 with both HBs last season and on pace to do the same this year.

I'm not sure if this was exactly on topic, but I'm glad I finally got that out there.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 AM   #10
Rookie

illini4life's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN30
I like having both as well, but you have to go beyond the tendency and speed rating sometimes and see how the guy actually plays on the field. I've had several HBs that I thought would be stars turn out to have average stats and a few fills-ins that turning into very productive backs. I've also had some strange ups-and-downs.

I'm not sure what triggered it, but for several seasons I could not run the ball very well at all. I didn't have a 1,000 year rusher for 6-8 seasons and my top 2 backs probably only had 1,000 -1,400 yards per year combined during that period. During this time I had power, speed, balanced backs and nothing worked consistently.

One guy who sticks out was a 3-star 72 OVR with 96 or 98 speed and decent acceleration. I thought he would be a great "special situations" back, but over 4 seasons he never made the 2 deep and was routinely stopped after a few yards. I don't think he had more than 500 yards in his career, despite having such high speed ratings.

About 4 seasons ago, that completely shifted and I became a majority rush team. After finally getting a back to break the 1,000 yard mark, I recruited a 5-star ATH with 94 speed who I put at HB as a speed back, but having a much stronger built with 68+ strength. The last 3 seasons I've paired him with a power back and dominated the running game going over 1,000 with both HBs last season and on pace to do the same this year.

I'm not sure if this was exactly on topic, but I'm glad I finally got that out there.

How did your Oline look during that span of not being able to run the ball well?

COLLEGE
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE UofI
Fighting Illini!

MLB
Dodgers!

PSN: coocath110

OSCFL- Purdue Boilermakers
Three yards and a cloud of dust- Kansas St. Wildcats
Old 08-24-2018, 06:01 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

For my Triple Option plays I need a speed back in space. For all my Dives & Slams out of Maryland I, Power I, and Wishbone, I'll take a Power Back who just plows ahead for 4+ every play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
Rookie

falcor1234's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
I'll take a Power Back who just plows ahead for 4+ every play.
same here although it does suck when you get a huge hole and youre off to the races and get caught 10 yards down field cause your power back only has 84 speed. but I have a lot more 3rd and shorts that need converted than 60+ yard runs that need to happen.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor1234
same here although it does suck when you get a huge hole and youre off to the races and get caught 10 yards down field cause your power back only has 84 speed. but I have a lot more 3rd and shorts that need converted than 60+ yard runs that need to happen.
True, but you can always sub him out for a speed back on toss, sweep, option, etc. plays. I do the same thing with QBs if one is slow Pocket Passer and a backup is an option QB. My offense is pretty much 10+ play drives with zero big plays unless the option nets a huge run or the defense doesn't cover a slot receiver and I burn them deep.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 13

Power, as with speed backs I always tend to outrun my linemen, whereas a power back who is a little slower can have the proper blocks develop. And I know some would say the solution would be to just slow down a bit with a speed back and let the blocks develop, but every other time I try that it seems the controls get kinda janked up and do a bunch of stop/starts and get caught and hit anyway, it's tough to properly feather the stick.

And also generally, when a power back is tackled, it'll go into a big fall-forward animation that can net you extra yards. Usually speed backs get whalloped and struck down on a dime.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

All depends on your style of play and sliders. Example I use JKits as well, when running a power run through say the I formation power back is the best bet. With tackle sliding 25 they bounce alot you bounce off a tackle using a power o play you have a nice outside run. If using option or zone out if gun. You want a fast back. With these sliders I find defenders coming fast so once you pitch if your rb can't zoom away the option will be useless. Also user skill too, some plays you need to wait before touching the stick to take control of the HB or the defenders will react way too fast, then plays like inside zone etc. If you don't take quick control of the back he runs to some random hole when a huge hole was reachable by user control. Just got to go with what your comfortable with and go with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Rookie

If I go on a FB dive, I tend to be able to bounce off an O-Lineman that has a seal and pick up a good amount. With a speed back he usually tries to cut to hard into a defender or simply trips.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »