Home

I don't own Madden 19 but I watched some videos

This is a discussion on I don't own Madden 19 but I watched some videos within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I don't own Madden 19 but I watched some videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchacho
I finally broke down and spent $5 on access to check out madden 19. Still downloading bc my internet is taken up by my 8 year old most of time haha

But I have to agree, even with the little I’ve tried with the jags and eagles game they give you. The movement and running the ball is definitely more realistic. I know there is a lot of complaining, but I wonder how many of those complaints come from someone who stepped on to a football field. Yes, it is a video game, but just in the small taste I’ve had, I totally love the new system. I know when I get deeper into it I’ll notice more things. But I definitely like what I’ve seen so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Absolutely. It has its shortcomings, sure, but it’s good so far.

A lot of the frustration from people for 19 is because it doesn’t play like old madden. The new system requires some football knowledge, especially reading blocks and coverage. The days of taking a handoff and sprinting or being able to juke/spin while sprinting are over. So in essence, it’s requiring gamers to relearn how to play a game. You can’t pick it up and play the same way you have for 10+ years. That makes people upset. As much as they cry for new stuff, they hate it when it happens.

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Videos can only show you so much, to be fair. NCAA 14 does play great for sure, and graphics are okay, they've held up. They're not as good obviously, but serviceable.

Madden 19, however, it plays more true to real football in my opinion. It requires the user to be a bit more skilled in every facet, especially in running the ball. You can't spam the sprint button when running, you have to be keen and set up your blocks to hit the hole. Passing windows are tight. In NCAA, if your guy has a step, the DB allows him to catch the ball then tackles him. In Madden, the DB will reach for the tip or try to pick it, or do what he can to break it up in general, so that's more realistic. The defense actually adapts too so you can't run the same play a bunch of times.

As a college football fan, I'll always rock NCAA 14, and a new one if we ever get it again. As a sim gamer who likes realism, Madden takes the cake on that front.

NCAA was always 1 year behind Madden, IE it played like the previous madden. Almost like they passed down the engine. That always made NCAA a comfortable experience, because you're used to how it played after playing the madden before.
I use coach mode only and am only basing my opinion on what I've seen in coach mode videos on youtube. Graphics are better for Madden 19 but the AI isn't as good as NCAA 14. Running back in particular seem to gravitate toward the only defender who can make the tackle on many plays. Quarterbacks instead of throwing the ball away when facing pressure take a sack.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
MVP

young22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Running back in particular seem to gravitate toward the only defender who can make the tackle on many plays. Quarterbacks instead of throwing the ball away when facing pressure take a sack.
These 2 things right here kill the game for me. There's a good foundation, but something about QB play broke on the move to next gen. NCAA 14, M25, great QB play. Then Madden 15 onwards it sucks.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Spin move is still OP in 19. If you're 1v1 you're basically going to beat him or a few if they're bunched up. Way too many money or dominate plays as well. Drag routes and sideline routes are open far more than they should be. Seem super jump is back for LBs as well.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
Spin move is still OP in 19. If you're 1v1 you're basically going to beat him or a few if they're bunched up. Way too many money or dominate plays as well. Drag routes and sideline routes are open far more than they should be. Seem super jump is back for LBs as well.

Super jumps were patched out, even though it was more due to Bullet passing having low trajectory. Spin works for running backs with high rating, almost no one else. As far as money plays, meh. Every game has tons of em lol.

But I digress, this is getting way off topic for an NCAA forum.

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-18-2018, 05:05 AM   #14
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
Videos can only show you so much, to be fair. NCAA 14 does play great for sure, and graphics are okay, they've held up. They're not as good obviously, but serviceable.

Madden 19, however, it plays more true to real football in my opinion. It requires the user to be a bit more skilled in every facet, especially in running the ball. You can't spam the sprint button when running, you have to be keen and set up your blocks to hit the hole. Passing windows are tight. In NCAA, if your guy has a step, the DB allows him to catch the ball then tackles him. In Madden, the DB will reach for the tip or try to pick it, or do what he can to break it up in general, so that's more realistic. The defense actually adapts too so you can't run the same play a bunch of times.

As a college football fan, I'll always rock NCAA 14, and a new one if we ever get it again. As a sim gamer who likes realism, Madden takes the cake on that front.

NCAA was always 1 year behind Madden, IE it played like the previous madden. Almost like they passed down the engine. That always made NCAA a comfortable experience, because you're used to how it played after playing the madden before.
This. Madden definitely has its flaws but I think it is a bit ridiculous for people to suggest NCAA 14 gameplay might hold up in any way whatsoever 5 years later.

I love this game and loved it when it came out. To this day my longest running dynasty/franchise/career in any sports game was with NCAA 14 by a long shot (played it probably twice as many seasons as I've ever made it with other games). That said, it can't compare to present day madden. The past few years every time football season rolls around I try to come back to NCAA 14 and I can't make it through more than a couple of games before giving up because the gameplay just isn't up to par to what I now expect from a football game.

Last couple maddens I've actually said I've felt like the way the game plays would be perfect for the college game. Things like the read option can be effective, but not so effective that you have to outright ban yourself from using it
Old 09-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
This. Madden definitely has its flaws but I think it is a bit ridiculous for people to suggest NCAA 14 gameplay might hold up in any way whatsoever 5 years later.
Why is it ridiculous? There is a lot about the NCAA games that work better then Madden.

-They actually get it right on things like sideline catches.

-When they review plays they make the right call.

-They actually have a true coach mode, that works.

-Pass coverage on defense is way better.

-Guys actually block on offense.

I would say aside from graphics that NCAA 14 and even NCAA 12 hold up pretty darn well against Madden in it's current state. Start adding in things like the coaching carousel and just the fact that NCAA's dynasty mode is just better then CFM and deeper and I would say Madden isn't half the game as NCAA.

Last edited by cusefan74; 09-20-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #16
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
Why is it ridiculous? There is a lot about the NCAA games that work better then Madden.

-They actually get it right on things like sideline catches.

-When they review plays they make the right call.

-They actually have a true coach mode, that works.

-Pass coverage on defense is way better.

-Guys actually block on offense.

I would say aside from graphics that NCAA 14 and even NCAA 12 hold up pretty darn well against Madden in it's current state. Start adding in things like the coaching carousel and just the fact that NCAA's dynasty mode is just better then CFM and deeper and I would say Madden isn't half the game as NCAA.
Not sure what you mean by they get sideline catches right. I haven't had any issues with sideline catches in madden. If you press the possession catch button they attempt to catch the ball in bounds.

Can't say I've had any issues yet with challenged plays but also haven't seen a lot. But I also don't remember NCAA as always "getting it right." Challenged plays have always been a mixed bag on both games in my experience.

Can't comment on coach mode. I play the games. I'll have to take your word for it. I'm talking about gameplay and gameplay to me is playing the games.

Your final 2 are just ridiculous. coverage and blocking are fine in madden. Players should get beat at times (both in coverage and when blocking) and 4 verts should eat up certain coverages.

With blocking guys lose battles just like in the NFL. Whereas in NCAA guys are so effective that the read option (probably the most popular run play in college football) is so OP that you have to make a house rule to not run it.

There may be certain aspects of NCAA that make it a better game for you to play (like whatever preferences with coach mode you have, having college teams instead of NFL, etc.) but I stand by my statement. In the gameplay department, NCAA is clearly outdated when put side by side with madden

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »