Home

Slow, Methodical Offense, Run Clock... Cheese?

This is a discussion on Slow, Methodical Offense, Run Clock... Cheese? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Slow, Methodical Offense, Run Clock... Cheese?

You all read my post about not being able to stop certain offenses. One thing is I was making my offensive drives last very short, like 5 plays. This last game, I said I am going to play like the old Big Ten teams. Slow, clock management, keep the other offense off the field. It helped. My stats seemed more realistic. However, I won 31-7. I had the ball a little under 25 minutes. The other team had it about 6 minutes. I had on 8 minute quarters. Is this cheese?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Slow, Methodical Offense, Run Clock... Cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
You all read my post about not being able to stop certain offenses. One thing is I was making my offensive drives last very short, like 5 plays. This last game, I said I am going to play like the old Big Ten teams. Slow, clock management, keep the other offense off the field. It helped. My stats seemed more realistic. However, I won 31-7. I had the ball a little under 25 minutes. The other team had it about 6 minutes. I had on 8 minute quarters. Is this cheese?

I guess it depends. It's cheese to run non-stop no huddle. No team runs no huddle like the game does. So is it cheese to combat cheese with cheese? I don't think so. It is cheese to do so against users who aren't running no huddle, but if you're trying to combat an opponent doing non stop no huddle, I don't necessarily think it is.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #3
Pro

osubucki6's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
It makes it easier to win but it’s not unrealistic so no it’s not cheese. It’s my philosophy in my South Alabama dynasty to hold the ball as much as possible and there hasn’t been a game so far that I’ve been under 60% TOP, and it’s usually over 70%. I’ve gone 18-8 in 2 years with 1 conference championship and 0 bowl wins. That’s better than they did in real life in 2013/14 but it’s completely realistic. The philosophy helped me get the number one defense in the country my first year, but after a bunch of players graduated my defense dropped to below average in year 2 and I had to rely on offensive stars. If you need defensive help, ball control is the best way to go.

Edit: ball control offenses also produce the same results in real life when executed well. People held onto Army taking OU to OT all year this year in playoff talks. But Oklahoma didn’t struggle that game. They ran 40 plays for 355 yards (8.875 yards per play). The thing is, they only held the ball for a little over a quarter of the game because Army just controlled possession throughout with there option attack.

Army was 13/21 on 3rd down that game and 4/5 on 4th down. Obviously you’re not gonna get those high of numbers every game, but that is how your offense should be looking. A lot of short yardage third and fourth downs where you’re not afraid to run it. I was 30/39 in my dynasty on 4th down in my second year and it was probably necessary (trailing late) less than 25% of the time. If that’s how your offense is looking it’s 100% fine, especially with some good sliders and recruiting house rules.
NBA-Sonics :'(

Last edited by osubucki6; 01-03-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:37 AM   #4
Rookie

Offline dynasty is a single player game. Does holding the ball for 25 minutes out of 32 dampen your enjoyment of the game? If yes, don't do it. If no, keep doing it.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Rookie

You could play as the opposing offense if you feel you’re doing them dirty. I have not personally tried this, but have seen others who say it is enjoyable.

One thing I’ve learned here is, a ton worry about “cheesing”. It’s a video game, play how you enjoy. It’ll never be realistic like you see on TV, but it can be the most FUN you’ve had it you let yourself loose. Just my opinion lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Is there any way to get the CPU to take more time between plays?
Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2053
Is there any way to get the CPU to take more time between plays?

I believe you can switch over to that team during a game, change their strategy to conservative and then switch back to your team. I don’t remember where I saw it, but have seen people talk about doing that for other strategies for opposing teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

I'd say it is cheese only because the CPU can't do it. Also throws off the simulation.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »