Home

EA Says They Would Jump For the Opportunity, To Get Back in The College-Game Business

This is a discussion on EA Says They Would Jump For the Opportunity, To Get Back in The College-Game Business within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Says They Would Jump For the Opportunity, To Get Back in The College-Game Business

During the WSJ Tech Live conference, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said, "we would jump for the opportunity...

Written By: Raychel Sanner

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2019, 11:43 PM   #2
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

OVR: 0
California Opens the Door Up for NCAA Football

I’m glad that steps are finally being taken in compensating players, but the NCAA won’t go down without a fight. Their death grip on the money these kids earn them is all that matters to them. They’ll probably try and ban California teams from bowl games, as has been rumoured. We’re gonna need more states to stand up to these tyrants to truly force change.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: California Opens the Door Up for NCAA Football

However big or small a step this is, if it brings us any closer to a new NCAA Football game, I'm sold!
Old 10-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 0

You got a long way to go. I don't think this helps.

Even if all 50 states created a similar law, you would have to essentially enter a contract with each student athlete to be in the game. I'm sure the kicker from SW Missouri State wouldn't cost you much, but it adds up.

But unless you get "NCAA" to buy in, you will also have to enter a license agreement with each conference or school. Again... it would be pretty expensive.

This is kinda the same fate APF 2k8 had... they had to have an individual contract with each school. John Elway and Barry Sanders was much more expensive than Pete Metzellars and Barry Word.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

The NCAA working groups findings report is due by end of month. There's a meeting on 26th and 27th where they'll make their findings public. The first step is getting those other states to start truly clamoring about following California's lead within the next 3 weeks. NCAA is going to fight this to the end. NCAA should have the power to properly govern this if they just let go of that old stance. if they truly want to prevent these states from having having different laws pertaining to compensation, they have to make an universal law for all schools.

But I'm optimistic about return of NCAA future. I'm just not so sure of when. I don't think the 2023 date for California will correlate to the NCAA decision. I think if NCAA is truly defiant, then they will use that time to get that law appealed. But even if NCAA agrees to it, I don't see them putting into effect at least until January 2021 or after. So that brings on the question does NCAA willingly give up their likeness before the law goes in effect. I'm not so sure they will. NCAA will want to avoid any lawsuits. Even if they do, all EA could do is what they did in past minus roster share. If they do make a company wait until law goes into effect, then I think we are 2-4 years away from licensed game. I feel EA would only need 1 dev cycle since they can use Madden resources. But I don't see NCAA Basketball coming back. CBB isn't as marketable and don't see EA bringing it back since they are struggling with Live.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
I'm sure the kicker from SW Missouri State wouldn't cost you much, but it adds up.
This might not be a popular opinion here on OS, but I think EA could get by with paying about 100 players. For the rest of players, they can sign a waiver if they want their likeness in the game, and if not they'll just have a generic in the game.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
This might not be a popular opinion here on OS, but I think EA could get by with paying about 100 players. For the rest of players, they can sign a waiver if they want their likeness in the game, and if not they'll just have a generic in the game.
I can even see most players willing to take a free copy of the game as payment.
I don't really see them going through 120+ school rosters and trying to get rights for all rhose athletes. Just seem like it will cost a ton of money and be very time consuming.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I can even see most players willing to take a free copy of the game as payment.
A free game would be a nice gesture by EA, but I don't think they would even have to do that. I would guess that 95% of players would be happy to just be in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »