Home

NCAA Says College Athletes Should "Benefit" From Their Likenesses

This is a discussion on NCAA Says College Athletes Should "Benefit" From Their Likenesses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #25
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA Board of Governors starts process to enhance name, image and likeness opport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijumpedthegun
Trying to keep my expectations in check after hearing this VERY GOOD news. It'll take EA YEARS to bring the Dynasty Mode features even close to what they ended with in 2014--we may never get there in terms of coaching carousel, etc.

Expect NCAA 2021 to be very bare-bones (I'd imagine at soonest it's available 2021, so it'd probably be called NCAA 2022).
I bet EA has already been working on the framework of what the next NCAA game will look and feel like expecting this news. So I wouldn't be so sure it would be as bare bones as you think.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

If walls could talk to spill the lies, we'd see the world through devils eyes
-M. Shadows
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #26
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NCAA Says College Athletes Should "Benefit" From Their Likenesses

I just wonder how much this is going to cost EA to reward every player for their likeness on every team? Does this mean the community can legally edit rosters close to real life?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #27
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

NCAA Football fans would for sure not just get a game that's right where the last one left off though, since I know that Dynasty mode was on old infrastructure that they moved away from on Madden. So they would have to re-do a lot of the stuff not from scratch since they now have Madden in the place it is, but it's not like they can just "bring back" old code etc. for that stuff.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
Rookie

ShadowGhost25's Arena

OVR: 0
I'm actual crying right now the fact that we could get a new NCAA football and basketball* games just brings me so much happiness. The question is which studio 2K or EA will get the rights to make the games* *
Old 10-29-2019, 03:14 PM   #29
MVP

cowboy_kmoney's Arena

OVR: 11

Ok EA make NCAA 14 backwards compatible now. We know the law is good now
Old 10-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #30
All Star

OVR: 8

This is great news, but we have a long way to go before the next college football game is a reality. An entire console generation has passed since the last game they made a game. I'm not even sure if EA still uses the infinity engine that the last game was on.

My impressions, as a non programmer so purely speculative, I think we are at minimum 2 years away (2022) from any kind of realistic release. 2020 is right around the corner and unless EA has secretly been building up a team for this project then they would only have about 20 months to hire an entire staff and complete the development cycle beginning to end in time for a late summer of 2021 release. Hopefully EA has already been working on this, but if not then we just need to caution ourselves against getting our Hope's up too early.

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 2

Beyond thrilled. I would pay $1000 without hesitation to get to play a theoretical ncaa football 20 and college hooks 2k20 right now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #32
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I just wonder how much this is going to cost EA to reward every player for their likeness on every team? Does this mean the community can legally edit rosters close to real life?
That will be a question for sure. EA was WAY too obvious before with using the players even if they weren't using their names, so maybe if they just put some generic players in the game, and also the "key" players as real ones, but give users full access to editing tools, it will be okay now. Maybe it won't be.

Another is how much licensing overall will cost. Before it was already somewhat cost prohibitive to make some of these games due to licensing vs. game sales -- when it was just legally foggy -- now these companies have to pay colleges AND athletes for likenesses? So in theory it seems like the college games would be more expensive to make now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »