Home

OS Roundtable: How Excited Are You That NCAA Games Are Potentially Returning?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: How Excited Are You That NCAA Games Are Potentially Returning? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: OS Roundtable: How Excited Are You That NCAA Games Are Potentially Returning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I think they'll have quite an easy time making a deal with the NCAA. the problem is there is no one single union that has sole rights to bargain for all student-athletes. the one out of UCLA may be the biggest and most powerful, but it still doesn't legally represent all players. just anyone who chooses to join. and EA wont risk another lawsuit until they have someone to deal with that officially represents and can speak and bargain for all athletes, not just the ones who join. and I dont see any entity being able to attain that authority. so right now for all intents and purposes an NCAAF/B game is still closer to pipe-dream than reality.
There were reports that NFLPA was looking to partner with College Players Association to assist in deals concerning with compensation. So that would apply to video games. I'm sure NFLPA would insist that all players take equal deals.
But I do feel it is still a long shot to happen. Still so many things to check off the list before this becomes a reality.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: OS Roundtable: How Excited Are You That NCAA Games Are Potentially Returning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp73

excited for them to come back for sure, scared they'll ruin what they had with ncaa14

I don’t understand what people thought they had with NCAA 14. You had a game with zero physics, awful pass coverage, broken option defense, i mean the list goes on. There’s a reason why Tiburon scrapped that engine and went on to overhaul several aspects of that game with Madden. I’ll never understand why 14 is held in some sort of high regard when it comes to gameplay.

I’m as excited as anyone to see what NCAA games can become, but the idea of it being anything close to 14 makes me nervous. Although I’m not sure I’d want it anywhere close to M20 either. I hope it somehow gets taken in a completely different direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Here's a tweet about how Emmert feels
"On the NCAA video game: NCAA president Mark Emmert said he is open to bringing it back, but would need 1. assurances that no more lawsuits would be filed, 2. a group license deal that gives students a voice 3. without giving them a union and making them employees. #aspensportslab"

Which does kind of sound reassuring that both sides does seem interested in a return. If those are the 3 main things, then it does seem plausible. I can see NCAA not wanting Roster Share in new game. If they will/could have real NIL, there wouldn't be a huge need for it. As long as they have offline roster editing and ability download offline roster files, I'm okay with no Roster Share. With number 2, hopefully NFLPA does partner up with Colleges Players Association that way they can help with negotiating a group licensing deal.

So it does seem realistic if both sides seem interested. So hopefully it can come to fruition. Emmert says thats the number one question he is always asked. So he knows that fans and athletes wants the game back. His primary concern is not wanting lawsuits. That's always a tricky to avoid. Thats why I think they might want to ban Roster Share. My main doubt is that NCAA hasn't truly shown that they are okay with compensation. Its like they are trying to find every excuse to not allow it rather than come up with ways to allow it. Still urging states to not going along with legislature and worrying if they will bring it to the white house.

Last edited by illwill10; 12-17-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
I don’t understand what people thought they had with NCAA 14. You had a game with zero physics, awful pass coverage, broken option defense, i mean the list goes on. There’s a reason why Tiburon scrapped that engine and went on to overhaul several aspects of that game with Madden. I’ll never understand why 14 is held in some sort of high regard when it comes to gameplay.

I’m as excited as anyone to see what NCAA games can become, but the idea of it being anything close to 14 makes me nervous. Although I’m not sure I’d want it anywhere close to M20 either. I hope it somehow gets taken in a completely different direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I am enjoying 14 the past few months I had it, I do feel it was put on pedestal. The main allure of 14 was that it was the final game of series. But I wouldn't want it to directly follow NCAA 14, I just want it to keep the core aspect of NCAA. The main thing that people love is recruiting. With college, you always have to plan for future.
But yeah, gameplay is far from perfect. While Madden isn't a great example, it has improved in gameplay. Hitsticks barely work and feel soft compared to what Madden has. But like Madden, ball carriers don't use ball carrier moves. Height and SPC doesn't matter for WR. I rarely see those flashy catches and can't throw those 50/50 balls. Option defense is terrible. You have to manually control LBs/DBs on read options because defenders don't really cover QBs. Then you have statue QBs running non stop read options and being able to shed tackles at will. There's always a bad animation you see once in a while on certain plays. Where if you don't run Cover 2 and the offense as a outside WR runs a streak, your CB does a weird animation where he moves towards the middle of field causing WR to get wide open as the CB tries to get back in coverage. It's almost a guaranteed TD. Poor Clock management. But the biggest thing for me is that I never have to account for opposing best players. I have no fear against elite skill positions. Since RBs don't use special moves, I don't even scout opposing RBs. I don't bother with looking at WRs. CPU isn't intelligent enough to put playmakers into situations to succeed. At most, all I look at QB speed. CPU QB will scramble 90% of time when you are in Man Coverage if there first read isn't open. AI blockers terrible at letting players rush freely. List goes on and on
If it is to come back, they need to work on some things. Improved Gameplay, Physics(height mattering), less streamlined approach to recruiting, and improved AI. Improved AI is some thing I want all games to have. There needs to be a challenge against CPU in Dynasty along with improved play calling.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:32 AM   #77
Pro

IUxHOOSIERS's Arena

OVR: 2

For those of us that are now a little bit older, it would definitely still mean a lot. When NCAA Football games were stopped being made, I basically stopped playing video games, and I was still in college at the time. I'm now in my mid to late 20s, and I would immediately buy a console and buy NCAA Football if it were to be made again.

Too many memories were made playing the game.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #78
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUxHOOSIERS
For those of us that are now a little bit older, it would definitely still mean a lot. When NCAA Football games were stopped being made, I basically stopped playing video games, and I was still in college at the time. I'm now in my mid to late 20s, and I would immediately buy a console and buy NCAA Football if it were to be made again.

Too many memories were made playing the game.
I stopped watching college football once NCAA went away. I used to watch CFB faithfully when we had NCAA. But, I haven't had the same interest. I didn't play a football game for 3 years after NCAA 14. I still can't get into Madden.
Back in my high school days, I bought all the old ps2 versions. I still feel the PS2 in general is the golden era of gaming. Back when games were primarily focused on offline. I would love for NCAA to come back. I always want to buy Madden past 3 years. But after renting it for past 3 years, I can't force myself to do it and quickly return it. But with NCAA, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #79
Pro

IUxHOOSIERS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I stopped watching college football once NCAA went away. I used to watch CFB faithfully when we had NCAA. But, I haven't had the same interest. I didn't play a football game for 3 years after NCAA 14. I still can't get into Madden.
Back in my high school days, I bought all the old ps2 versions. I still feel the PS2 in general is the golden era of gaming. Back when games were primarily focused on offline. I would love for NCAA to come back. I always want to buy Madden past 3 years. But after renting it for past 3 years, I can't force myself to do it and quickly return it. But with NCAA, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

Agreed on the watching aspect of NCAA Football. Not only that, but just knowing players on teams from a personnel perspective. When NCAA Football games were still out, I would scroll through every team and put players' names with the school they were at in my head. I knew which teams had good D-Tackles, or which random school had a good safety on their team. Now I couldn't tell you anything about that without an NCAA Football game.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #80
MVP

I agree with the statement above. Honestly, I feel that the NCAA and teams have lost a bit of something by not having a game. I used to know so many players just based on playing the game, but now, I could not tell you hardly anyone outside of the teams that I follow.

I remember learning about schools and watching them based on this series. I guess what I am saying is that is was marketing tool that may not have been viewed as such.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »