Home

How To Stop The Pass!!!

This is a discussion on How To Stop The Pass!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
How To Stop The Pass!!!

So NCAA 14, my Florida State dynasty was rolling. We play at Duke. They beat us last season, but due to the replay makes gameplay slow down glitch. We were up 24-7 and lost. But this season, we play the Blue Devils. Man, I could not stop the pass. More about the stats when I post in the dynasty thread later. But what seems to work to stop the pass? I mean just the short or intermediate passes and to the outside. I had to pass like crazy just to keep up and eek out a win. Duke had like over 500 yards of offense. No team had done that this entire season. Is zone the answer or man? I bet many will say nickel cover two. I did that also. Any adjustments that can be made? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: How To Stop The Pass!!!

I play 13 now as opposed to 14. Sold 14 for some $$. But when you are at the line of scrimmage, press down on L2, and I think you can hit the right stick up to make them look for pass. You can also use down for run mid, or side to side for runs to sides. You probably already know this. It does at least get your guys in the mindset to look for the pass so hopefully they are prepared.

I'm finding for me also, if I mix in things like running QB spy, or blitz a single guy or a couple here and there, while having them watch passing, at least in 13, that seems to help. Again, on 13, I played and beat Oregon 17-0 for a National Championship one season. Just basically sitting in a dollar and quarter package, QB spy looking for pass all game. When the qb would try to run it, many times, pow! And they kept trying to throw short etc like Oregon does. And I'm not even that good of a player lol.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Pro

Funny you mentioned those two formations. I have used them practically never. Yeah the look for pass or run. I know those. What about blue and purple zones? How to assign players to these zones.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
So NCAA 14, my Florida State dynasty was rolling. We play at Duke. They beat us last season, but due to the replay makes gameplay slow down glitch. We were up 24-7 and lost. But this season, we play the Blue Devils. Man, I could not stop the pass. More about the stats when I post in the dynasty thread later. But what seems to work to stop the pass? I mean just the short or intermediate passes and to the outside. I had to pass like crazy just to keep up and eek out a win. Duke had like over 500 yards of offense. No team had done that this entire season. Is zone the answer or man? I bet many will say nickel cover two. I did that also. Any adjustments that can be made? Thanks.

Part of the frustration of football is struggling to stop the other team. I'm not sure you will completely stop the pass, but there are a few things you can do.

Pressure is the best way to do this. I use nickel 2-4-5 a good bit and cover 2. I press the receivers and user the MLB. Learn the plays the CPU like to run.

They love to run stick. They beat cover 2 with corner routes so be careful with that.

On third and 5+ they may run the RB screen. You can read this and pick it off or be in position for a tackle. In man, they love running corner routes as well and they also run smash where the outside receiver goes on a streak and the inside runs an out route. In man the out route is almost always open for them so you have to get pressure if you're running man.

When I run man, there's usually 3-4 rushers and I user the player who is covering the runningback. If the RB doesn't go out, I'll either rush or back off in to a middle zone/spy.

Learning what your coverages are supposed to do if you don't already know is a good idea. If they're tearing up your zone, maybe run cover 2 man, press the receivers, put your safeties in yellow or purple zones instead of blue, and then rush an extra man. There's risk/reward obviously, but if your DBs can get a good press in, you can force the QB in to a mistake.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Rookie

Also, you can do things to disguise coverages as well. For example, you can have your guys show blitz, but really have them looking for pass like above. Be careful about doing that or pressing though as you can get beat deep. I know because I've made that mistake. But sometimes that can also work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
Pro

I am glad you mentioned press. All the YouTube videos I viewed say to always base align. Always. Because the game is “broken” with the secondary not aligning correctly. Is this true? Thanks for the other tips also.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Pro

Also, when playing defense against the computer, what position do you all usually take control of?
Old 11-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Rookie

Everyone has their preference. I like to go to a defensive end. But you have to be careful as they sometimes drop back into zone coverage. A lot of times if they throw a pass, I'll try to switch to a db in the area of the receiver and try for the seat or interception.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »