Home

Its NFL Playgrounds, right?

This is a discussion on Its NFL Playgrounds, right? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
Pro

drewst18's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Its NFL Playgrounds, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan89
If they something arcade type, it probably will be NFL Street. But they could probably do something like 2k5 or 2k8 because those were not called "simulation style football" on the cover, it was called an authentic gridiron game.
You're in for a world of disappointment if this is what you're expecting. It is likely very clearly going to be an arcade game style backyard type game compared to a Blitz/Street style.

It (imo) is just to get a foot in the door for future games. If youre expecting even a close competition with Madden youre going to be very upset. I feel for 2K as theyre likely going to get slammed by fans who have unrealistic expectation on what theyre going to get.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #10
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

I hope not......have you guys played nba playgrounds ???

Terd/money grab would be an understatement......
Old 04-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #11
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
That seems like the logical conclusion on the surface. But then the bigger question would be why isn't that game coming out THIS year alongside the other 2k "Grounds" titles? It would make a ton more sense, right?...

Why would 2k wait a year and a half after announcing the NFL partnership just to release the NFL version of NBA Playgrounds?

That doesn't make much sense, especially when you consider they've likely been working on this title for some time already and had to have shown NFL reps an impressive demo of it.

However, I could definitely see why some would rather assume it's an NFL Playgrounds game as to not set themselves up for disappointment.

Personally, Im approaching this with an open mind while keeping my expectations in check.
....because it takes more than a year and a half to create any AAA sports title from scratch.

This is all speculation from all of us but you are speculating alot. We have no idea if 2k showed the NFL "an impressive demo of it".

If this is just an NFL version of "Playgrounds", they dont need to present an actual demo version of the game to get the NFL to agree to license their marks. They have a NBA game that shows the NFL what they can do and could supplement it with a powerpoint presentation that shows what the game will look like if it was a football game.

One other thing: I'm not keeping my expectations low. If its a 2k sim game, I'll be excited because I played the hell out of 2k5 and I would be interested in what they can do now. If its not, I'll keep playing Madden on the PC with the gameplay mods that make it a pretty good game.

What I am doing is actually listening to what 2k is saying. They have confirmed it wont be a simulation game. They have multiple sports arcade games already out under the Playgrounds/Battleground banner. Its kind of 1 plus 1 equals 2 to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

I beg to differ. 2K Playgrounds is the only sport game my son and I play together. It's a fun little pick up and play game. I think I might have paid 10$ for it. I did pay to unlock all the players but even thay wasnt much. The 3 point contest is fun and theres even a season mode that two players can play through. NBA playgrounds is our go to game when we're on vacation.

As for the type of game this is I really dont understand the "keep your emotions in check" crowd. We're not kids. No one knows anything at this point so why not speculate? Personally, I think its gonna be a Myplayer based game. I could see a playground type game as well. If not either, oh well. Regardless, no one is going to be heartbroken when whatever it is is officially announced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
I hope not......have you guys played nba playgrounds ???

Terd/money grab would be an understatement......
Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I beg to differ. 2K Playgrounds is the only sport game my son and I play together. It's a fun little pick up and play game. I think I might have paid 10$ for it. I did pay to unlock all the players but even thay wasnt much. The 3 point contest is fun and theres even a season mode that two players can play through. NBA playgrounds is our go to game when we're on vacation.

As for the type of game this is I really dont understand the "keep your emotions in check" crowd. We're not kids. No one knows anything at this point so why not speculate? Personally, I think its gonna be a Myplayer based game. I could see a playground type game as well. If not either, oh well. Regardless, no one is going to be heartbroken when whatever it is is officially announced.

My 6 yr old and I play the **** out of NBA playgrounds and I expect he will want the WWE game.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #14
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

NBA playgrounds 2 was a money grab. Not to de-rail the thread but they first charged you to unlock the rosters, then update the game and take out the option complete, then update the game again re-insert the option to buy the roster at like triple the cost of VC.......money grab boys.....
Old 04-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
My 6 yr old and I play the **** out of NBA playgrounds and I expect he will want the WWE game.
My son is 10 and he really enjoys it, too. He knows Steph Curry shoots 3s and Lebron dunks on people, that's all the NBA knowledge he has and Playgrounds scratch that itch. I think that's the market for these type of games. I enjoy the relatively simple nature of the game and having something to play with my son. We game in totally different ways, I'm offline single player, hes like most kids with fortnite and minecraft. But it's great having something we can both enjoy. I think we'd enjoy an NFL game in the same way if that's what 2K is doing.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #16
Rookie

If you cross-reference credits from the NFL 2K Series, APF 2K8, NBA 2K20 you'll see the core group of guys, who I imagine built the "2K Football Engine" are still there.

So the question becomes. What are these guys currently working on at Visual Concepts?

Shawn Lee
Matt Hamre
Evan Harsha
Mark Horsley
Nick Jones
Chris Larson
Tim Meekins
Gordon Read
Mark Roberts
Tim Schroeder
Nate Bamberger

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »