Home

Its NFL Playgrounds, right?

This is a discussion on Its NFL Playgrounds, right? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2020, 12:42 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Its NFL Playgrounds, right?

What I don’t understand is why the NFL would even bother to license 2k to make these games? Why not just have EA publish them? If there is a supposed market for them, why wouldn’t EA want that pie too?

Personally, I’ve given up hope for football gaming. I’d get back into it if we could get something from a competent studio, but I don’t see that ever happening. There’s no reason to believe that 2k football is returning in the form we’d like, IMHO.

This is no news for me. If I want to play great football games I can play 2k5/2k8 and madden 07 on the OG XBOX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2020, 02:17 AM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

If they were to arcade style, I would be fine if they do improved NFL street or backbreaker with the roster sharing and etc features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
You're in for a world of disappointment if this is what you're expecting. It is likely very clearly going to be an arcade game style backyard type game compared to a Blitz/Street style.

It (imo) is just to get a foot in the door for future games. If youre expecting even a close competition with Madden youre going to be very upset. I feel for 2K as theyre likely going to get slammed by fans who have unrealistic expectation on what theyre going to get.
Sent from my LM-V405 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
What I don’t understand is why the NFL would even bother to license 2k to make these games? Why not just have EA publish them? If there is a supposed market for them, why wouldn’t EA want that pie too?
I think the difference there is that perhaps the NFL approached 2k and/or there was a mutual interest and has been for quite some time now considering they mentioned "multiple projects" on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Personally, I’ve given up hope for football gaming. I’d get back into it if we could get something from a competent studio, but I don’t see that ever happening. There’s no reason to believe that 2k football is returning in the form we’d like, IMHO.
Those were my thoughts too before the 2k/NFL partnership was announced. Right now, the possibility of an APF/NFL2k game is very real until EA re-ups with the NFL on exclusivity to make "sim-style" football games.

In the immediate term, I find it awesome that this thread and discussion even exists. While alhobert32 and others make valid points about the 2021 game likely being NFL "Playgrounds", the off chance that it could be something else and the possibility of an NFL2k returning in 2022 is exciting, especially on next-gen hardware.

Basically, I'm just enjoying the ride.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev14
If you cross-reference credits from the NFL 2K Series, APF 2K8, NBA 2K20 you'll see the core group of guys, who I imagine built the "2K Football Engine" are still there.

So the question becomes. What are these guys currently working on at Visual Concepts?

Shawn Lee
Matt Hamre
Evan Harsha
Mark Horsley
Nick Jones
Chris Larson
Tim Meekins
Gordon Read
Mark Roberts
Tim Schroeder
Nate Bamberger
Did quick look at the NBA 2k20 team and highlighted all the individuals that worked on NFL 2k5 and APF 2k8 by looking at the credits of those games. Quite a few still work there, it be curious if they pull the big guns off NBA 2K and reassign to their football game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg credits.jpg (231.3 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by ASZEMPLE; 04-30-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:08 AM   #21
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASZEMPLE
Did quick look at the NBA 2k20 team and highlighted all the individuals that worked on NFL 2k5 and APF 2k8 by looking at the credits of those games. Quite a few still work there, it be curious if they pull the big guns off NBA 2K and reassign to their football game.
I bet they've been itching to get back into football, especially the engineers with the power at their disposal on today's systems.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #22
Banned

AUTHENTICNFLNBA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I bet they've been itching to get back into football, especially the engineers with the power at their disposal on today's systems.
Itching is an understatement... Those developers have something in store that one could only dream of I bet... I'm almost certain that this is the main reason why the NFL signed off on a deal so early.. Whatever the NFLPA saw, probably knocked their socks off and especially if they did some comparisons side by side with the last 3 MADDENS!! Oh boy.. Just think what would APF 2021 would look like with these last 10 years of retired players? My mouth is watering just thinking about it..
Old 05-02-2020, 12:45 AM   #23
Rookie

The direction of Take-Two Interactive seems clear now, they want a simulation and arcade version of every 2KSPORTS title. Subsequently creating two revenue streams.

Visual Concepts (Simulation)
NBA 2K
NFL 2K
WWE 2K

Saber Interactive (Arcade)
NBA 2K Playground
NFL 2K ___ground
WWE Battleground
Old 05-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev14
The direction of Take-Two Interactive seems clear now, they want a simulation and arcade version of every 2KSPORTS title. Subsequently creating two revenue streams.

Visual Concepts (Simulation)
NBA 2K
NFL 2K
WWE 2K

Saber Interactive (Arcade)
NBA 2K Playground
NFL 2K ___ground
WWE Battleground
Great point. I didn't even think of it like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »