Home

This whole "SIMULATION " thing(gray area)

This is a discussion on This whole "SIMULATION " thing(gray area) within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: This whole "SIMULATION " thing(gray area)

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest in an NFL street/blitz type of game and I really think EA gave away the game a bit when they added the yard in Madden.

That’s what I expect. Something like that, with a ton of mini games, online play. My park type stuff. 11v11 would have to have very arcade gameplay to not be considered simulation imo but who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-02-2021, 06:32 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 19

football simulation or NFL simulation.

I don't think the NFL can stop a company from creating a simulation football game.

I think simulation in this case refers to NFL likeliness. no rules that are exclusive to the nfl, no NFL teams, maybe no active players, or player likeliness.

maybe the game will be 7 on 7 football, with current and past NFL players, and rules, with a franchise mode, and a star tiered system like APF2k8. 24 teams instead of 32. maybe they do 32 teams.

whatever they create it will have to have some type of franchise mode. a no season or one-season game will be a big deterrence for alot of folks. unless its maybe an online head to head game

Last edited by tril; 08-02-2021 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

Lmao this stuff brings me back to my teen years
We on that is 2pac still alive theory level

2k makaveli 11 on 11 theory
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2021, 09:51 PM   #12
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
football simulation or NFL simulation.

I don't think the NFL can stop a company from creating a simulation football game.
Right, they can't ..nor can they prevent NFL players from being used in a simulation game. The NFL can only stop a company, not named EA, from using NFL teams, stadiums, logos, etc in a "simulation" style game. That's it.

That being said....

Retro Bowl, a mobile game, features 11-on-11 football with with AFC and NFC conferences, each with four 4-team divisions (East, North, South and West) using actual NFL cities with the same alignments as the NFL. It also has the NFL team uniform color schemes.

However, it does not have actual NFL team names, stadiums, logos. It also has generic rosters though you can customize everything...rosters, team names, unis, etc.

It has a 17 week, 16-game schedule with a 12-team playoff that mirrors NFL seeding and tie-breaker rules. And then of course there is a championship game, the Retro Bowl, pitting the AFC and NFC Champs against each other.

Granted, this is a mobile game fashioned after the classic Tecmo Super Bowl. Qtrs are max 3 mins long, offensive plays are randomly selected. There are no penalties. Defensive possessions are text simulated. But...it is 11-on-11 football with regular rules.

Off the field, there's salary CAP, free agency and a draft. You also hire assistant coaches, deal with injuries, level up player abilities, manage stadium, training and rehab facility upgrades, monitor team morale and conditioning.

Also, player game, season and career stats are tracked along with any awards they win. Record books are kept and you can even induct players into a Hall of Fame.

Maybe it is because Retro Bowl is just a fun mobile game by an indie developer that they've managed to avoid the legal wrath of the NFL and EA....

Or ...it could be an actual example of where the lines are drawn within that EA/NFL "simulation" exclusivity deal and be a small preview of how much room 2k actually has to work with.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #13
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

It makes you wondering scratching your head🤔
Because why be so mum about an Arcade NFL Street type of game when your not in competition with anyone🤷
And not gonna give any information until right before release 2k classic style

Madden/College football vs NFL Street

That's like saying NBA Jam gonna be mum when facing NBA 2k and NBA Live
Old 03-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I know this post is a few months old at this point but I just had a thought/question.

How far the “simulation” license extend? Does it only relate to “playable” games. For example; Could 2k make a head coach type game where the user calls plays but doesn’t actually control the players? With the popularity of manager games increasing (football manager, F1 manager, etc) I think a rebirth of a coaching focused game would be a hit.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #15

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprasse84
I know this post is a few months old at this point but I just had a thought/question.

How far the “simulation” license extend? Does it only relate to “playable” games. For example; Could 2k make a head coach type game where the user calls plays but doesn’t actually control the players? With the popularity of manager games increasing (football manager, F1 manager, etc) I think a rebirth of a coaching focused game would be a hit.

Truth be told, nobody knows except EA, 2k, and the NFL.

Most of what's been said in this thread (and the many others) is nothing but speculation (on all sides).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2022, 02:18 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

Further, this notion that 2K could find some loophole to break the spirit of their agreement with the NFL and EA is really naive. It's a good way to never have anyone license something to you again. There is no gray area for the parties involved. They all negotiated the deal.

The wording from the contract that was released is what I always come back to. EA remains the sole holder of rights to an NFL simulation video game. If 2K wants to use the NFL license, it cannot simulate an NFL season.

I've speculated that they could just do a card game, like MUT. With the Lego license, they can do something like Super Mega Baseball. But they won't provide any way for you to simulate the NFL season, nor will they allow their game to be a sandbox in which an NFL season could be made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »