Home

Easy to Cheat

This is a discussion on Easy to Cheat within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Easy to Cheat

I'm now in my second season and I I'm afraid I might have found a really easy way to cheat. When drafting, I noticed that every player has a "NFL Comparison". This compares the player to a current NFL player and these NFL players run the entire NFL spread, from the Bradys and Mannings to the scrubs (a lot of Jared Lorenzen, I'm not sure why).

Anyway, for my second draft I picked my players using only this criteria; I simply picked the guys with the best comparisons. For instance I saw a guy near the bottom of the QB list who was compared to Drew Brees. After training camp, this guy had a 87 on potenial. In fact, after trading down a number of picks, I came away with 7 players with a 85 potential or higher. I also did this for unsigned free agents, finding guys who were compared to Bart Scott, Lance Briggs, Deven Hester, etc. All turned out with 75 POT or higher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Easy to Cheat

I thought the same thing you did. Just look at the similar player at the top of the player profile, and you're good to go. In fact, my first time through, I did just that. I had players with amazing potentials all over the field...

Unfortunately, my guys all ended up being illiterate. I had a LOLB with a learning of 1. That's right -- a 1.

He couldn't learn any plays. He would miss assignments, wouldn't blitz when he was supposed to, would blitz when he was supposed to be in pass coverage. Not fun.

Needless to say, this is not an easy way to cheat. Now if you scout the learning score, looking at the similar player is much more effective.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter5
I thought the same thing you did. Just look at the similar player at the top of the player profile, and you're good to go. In fact, my first time through, I did just that. I had players with amazing potentials all over the field...

Unfortunately, my guys all ended up being illiterate. I had a LOLB with a learning of 1. That's right -- a 1.

He couldn't learn any plays. He would miss assignments, wouldn't blitz when he was supposed to, would blitz when he was supposed to be in pass coverage. Not fun.

Needless to say, this is not an easy way to cheat. Now if you scout the learning score, looking at the similar player is much more effective.
True. Doesn't POT encompass learning though? I guess not. Hmmm. I think it still needs to be addressed for next year or whenever. What kind of GM says, "Yeah, he's just like Peyton Manning, let's let him go undrafted..."

Plus, there are lots of illiterate Pro Bowlers. Just ask Chad Johnson....
Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Doesn't sound like a foolproof way to succeed but see how you could raise overall talent somewhat.

Can players with lower potentials (50-70) be star players, meaning they out strip their original potential?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

A high potential rating does not equal automatic success. Players need to be in the right system with the right coaches. Also, as was earlier mentioned, some of these players might have crap for baseline stats and a learning rating 1. Potential is only a small part of the scouting equation.

In conclusion: 99 Potential (does not automatically)= Future HOF'er
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

99 Potential = Billy Ray
Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by theengine
Plus, there are lots of illiterate Pro Bowlers. Just ask Chad Johnson....
this is the best quote ever... I am using you in my sig.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Rookie

Ok, after looking at some of my selections, you definatly have to check on the learning ability while scouting, but it's not nearly as bad a Hunter suggests. The quarterback I selected in the seventh round had a learning of 88. He's going to be Brees's heir apparent. I also got a good corner and a Outside linebacker, both unsigned and both with good LRN (one 83, one 86) So it's not a cheat, but like Ahunter said, it's worth it to look at the comparisons.

Last edited by theengine; 08-13-2008 at 05:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »