Home

Someone without running problems help !

This is a discussion on Someone without running problems help ! within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Someone without running problems help !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplepower
Its funny that you have so many things wrong. I do agree on most. However, my run game is fine, if I could keep the guys healthy. Thats the problem I have. But when my Viks are healthy, I have no problem with the run. Last game Peterson was in, He had 182 yds on 22 carries. Not a bad day, but I can't keep him in. How can you learn so many plays in a short time. I'am on my 5th reg season game, and the players only have mastered/learned a handfull, but seem to run them very well. I know if I need a yard....I can give it to my FB, and get it 95% of the time when he is healthy.

Also, I think you are on to something about different problems with different teams/disk. My friend, who I have known all my life (48 yrs), has the same game. But he has no problems kicking FG's playing the game. I watched him play the other nite....he kicked a 47 yd with default sliders. Mine...got them maxed...can't hit one over 25 yds. I'am also having no problems with fumbling. Only 1 or 2 combined for both teams a game. He has one every other series. Maybe it is the coachs that the game is too dependent on. My trainer is like a 12, and I cann't do anything about till next season, and I got 15 guys out.

Hey Purple Power

I think you must have missed the "I Formation" comment. My I Formation is where my bread and butter is. I can pass, run and playaction the best out of that. My Line is built for that formation with 86+ Run, Pass blocking.. Then you add the Blocking strength and footwork. These guys shouldnt have a problem. That doesnt mean i should be getting 150 yards a game. There will be many sundays i dont get 100 yards. But out of the teams i have played before packing up my CD 3 of the 5 i shouldve been able to get at least 100 yards or more rushing with there weak DL and LB's.

My other formations are vary weak on the play book knowledge. Except Singleback. It's maybe close to 50%

BTW Sean, all them yards came out of shotgun and WR spread with a Rookie QB rated 67 with a POT of 92. A. Woodson drafted in the 3rd round. In a Formation with little to no knowledge of any of it.

That has me baffled. I put a ton of time and player knowledge into one formation and net's nothing. Throw in a rookie QB cause my starter goes down use a formation in which i never use and have no knowledge and it pay's off 100 fold.

BTW My next game after 585 yards was for 630 yards. running Shoutgun and never running one time. The D stayed in 3-4 the whole time. I won that game 49-3... And the play knowledge for that formation was still not even a quater on the screen, I didnt bother looking at all the players and researching it cause after that the disk went back into the case.

I spent alot of time for no payoff and no time for a big payoff. With a rookie. He threw in two games what alot cant throw in half a season. Hence the game being boxed up and will now will collect dust. Though like an Idiot ... lastnight i broke it back out and tried again....*sigh*

If Josh or another HC Dev could explain that... I would love to hear it.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubb734
I have the Smashmouth playbook and let the OC call the plays so we rush close to 75% of the time. I am 4 games in, all with a Center and a Guard down and with a backup HB and we're 4-0 and rushing relatively well with one 200 yard performance.

You seem to have done a lot of the things I have done. One weakness is your TE. Crumpler is not a great run blocker. A guy like Mark Bruener or Kyle Brady can be effective. Not sure who your FB is, but a guy like Dan Kreider is a very effective one, he leads my team in pancakes. I guess make sure your RB isn't weak in any thing like AWR or BCV and maybe split carries with another back just for a difference.

Like I said, you have done mostly the kinds of things I have done, and even though I have at times had issues, my backs generally rush for decent yardage. After 4, DeShaun Foster has around 450 yards with about 4 per carry. There isn't really any reason for yours to be so awful based on what you've said so I am not sure. Maybe the defense isn't intimidated by your QB and keys in against the rush, but I am not sure if that plays a role or not. GL though.

I use the Markley's playbook with it being Edited. I make use of his Playaction and gimick plays.

Yes i agree with you on Crumpler... But the upside to him is his hands. He has Brought in nice yards coming off the line for me. I was unable to land a good tightend or trade for one. So i brought Crump back to the Falcon's.

As far as a FB I did sign Kreirder right before the last preseason game. And it showed as well... lol in one play he just stood back there like a ******. But the next few pratice's FB was the focus.

I am at a loss.......
Old 09-17-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean705
Sorry if I came across harsh dude, wasn't the intention. I've just been reading a lot of the "I CAN'T RUN THE BALL" rants on the boards, and a lot of them are due to people a.) not knowing enough about football to know how to gameplan effectivly or b.) trying to run the ball 2 or 3 times, getting a yard, and then throwing their hands up and saying "I quit! This is stupid, I can't run!" Running the ball in real football and in thios game take effort and determination to stick with it, even if you get shut down the whole 1st quarter.

I honestly haven't had an issue with running the ball, with the exception of my first career I started, and I was just jumping into the game without reading anything. Now, I gameplan my butt off, and I keep tabs on player fatigue, and i make sure I'm targeting my opponents weaknesses. I average over 100 yards rushing a game now.

You do have some very valid points though. I have noticed wierd AI whe my players have the ball sometimes, but I just chalk it up to the cpu trying to show me a calculated outcome, and not knowing how exactly to animate it correctly.

It's also funny how you say that you have such sucess throwing the ball, because I honestly can't seem to get my air attack on track. I HAVE to run the ball, because my pass protection is so bad, and Edwards couldn't find an open reciever if the reciever was punching him in the face. So, while you are baffled at how I can run the ball, I'm baffled at how you can pass. I can't get more than 150-200ypg in the air. I've just chalked it up to the fact that the only time I throw is in situations (i.e. 3rd and long) where the cpu is expecting the pass, thus, it gets shut down.
Yes, its very bizarre how some people have a huge problem with some aspect of the game and no matter what action they take to try and remedy the problem, it seems to make no difference, and yet there are others that have a completely different or opposite problem. Just makes no sense to me and it makes it very difficult to seek advice from others.

Zakk.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 11

I'm beginning to take a lot of posts with a grain of salt now...especially those that cry "bug" when they can/can not do something. First, I think we've found just about all the bugs now and they've all been mentioned somewhere in the forum. Even then, since day 1 there have been people who say they have robo qb and the passing game is ridiculous and people who can't stop getting sacked and the passing game is ridiculous. People who say they get tackled for a 2 yard loss every time they try to run so the running game is ridiculous and people who have 282 rushing yards in a single game and defenders bouncing off their backs so the running game is ridiculous. People who say they can't make a 23 yard FG and people who say that they're making 53 yrd FG and KOs out the back of the end zone and KOs returned for TD....so the kicking game is ridiculous and you get my point.

...game experiences may vary... hmmm, novel concept there...shouldn't all of our games be exactly the same :: tongue in cheek ::
Old 09-18-2008, 12:22 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think that one of the biggest issues is that some people who have no issues are using teams with very established running games. With very established coaches.

Some of you are using the Vikes, others are using LT and the Chargers. Me I use the Raiders and last time I checked these guys didnt have very many problems running the ball even when they know its coming.

I think that there are some bigger issues than we know of. I dont have the time to do the metrics but from just playing the game since it came out 4-6 hours a day. I have noticed things that dont add up. I also know that some of the sliders do not work (not sure if this is covered elsewhere).

Another issue is the dramatic differences in the results between pressing sim, using super sim, and then going in game.

Since I am more of a lurker than poster is there anyway to your next opponents Defensive Play calling tendencies without going and looking at the stats?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPrice
I think that one of the biggest issues is that some people who have no issues are using teams with very established running games. With very established coaches.

Some of you are using the Vikes, others are using LT and the Chargers. Me I use the Raiders and last time I checked these guys didnt have very many problems running the ball even when they know its coming.

I think that there are some bigger issues than we know of. I dont have the time to do the metrics but from just playing the game since it came out 4-6 hours a day. I have noticed things that dont add up. I also know that some of the sliders do not work (not sure if this is covered elsewhere).

Another issue is the dramatic differences in the results between pressing sim, using super sim, and then going in game.

Since I am more of a lurker than poster is there anyway to your next opponents Defensive Play calling tendencies without going and looking at the stats?
Well, I have never touched the sliders and never will and I've found my games to be balanced...yes including Kicking FGs.

I've been three teams Lions, Bills, and now Raiders. With all three (I'm only on the 2nd preseason game with the Raiders) I can say that I've had 3 very different experiences with rushing, passing, sacks, defensive coverage, and pass rush. Lions? Not a chance of any success anywhere...but that was the first franchise I played and didn't play them beyond game 3. Bills, started out tough, went 1-3 but then everything started clicking, saw mass improvements on both sides of the ball and finished 10-6 losing in the AFC Championship game to a team I beat twice in the regular season. I attribute most of the success to playbook knowledge. That seems to be one of the heaviest swing factors in the game (possibly too heavily weighted) and I think most of the variations we are all experiencing can probably be explained by the differences in playbook knowledge and then to the attributes of the players on our teams.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
Well, I have never touched the sliders and never will and I've found my games to be balanced...yes including Kicking FGs.

I've been three teams Lions, Bills, and now Raiders. With all three (I'm only on the 2nd preseason game with the Raiders) I can say that I've had 3 very different experiences with rushing, passing, sacks, defensive coverage, and pass rush. Lions? Not a chance of any success anywhere...but that was the first franchise I played and didn't play them beyond game 3. Bills, started out tough, went 1-3 but then everything started clicking, saw mass improvements on both sides of the ball and finished 10-6 losing in the AFC Championship game to a team I beat twice in the regular season. I attribute most of the success to playbook knowledge. That seems to be one of the heaviest swing factors in the game (possibly too heavily weighted) and I think most of the variations we are all experiencing can probably be explained by the differences in playbook knowledge and then to the attributes of the players on our teams.
I agree I think playbooks are huge but it all starts with the coach. The only thing that saves the Raiders is if you play the games their Defense will force a number of sacks, fumbles, and Ints.

I posted in another thread in my WC game vs the texans that I broke them off for 200+.

I would really like to know from the Devs how alot of the coaching abilities factor into it. Most of my teams I have played with really turn around once I get coaching points and make improvements.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #24
Rookie

CurlyJefferson's Arena

OVR: 2

My first franchise with the Chiefs, I used their default playbook and was lucky to average 2 yards a carry with LJ using normal runs. I was mixing it up with different formations and running on different downs and distances, but I still got nowhere. The only run I seemed to have any success with was the counter play out of the goal line. Now I grant you that the Chiefs' offensive line and playbook were both terrible, but it was way worse than it should have been when you consider the worst running teams in real life still average 3-point-something. Well, after six games I came upon this board and realized I had the injury bug, so I restarted.

My second franchise as the Chiefs, I started with the Pistol playbook just to try something new and interesting. I traded for Troy Smith and have been very successful running option plays and counter plays. Any kind of run up the middle still gets stuffed more often than not, so I rarely try them anymore. LJ is averaging about 5.5 yards per carry, which is probably high considering the state of the O-line, but it is better than the 2 ypc I was averaging before. And keep in mind it is with a playbook my guys had to learn from scratch.

I guess I'm not much of a help because I solved my running problems by switching to an unconventional offense that no one in the NFL uses. But it's a fun system if you're interested in it.

Really, I think the problem is that there are so many little stat adjustments that we don't see, either due to coaching or fatigue or play knowledge - any of a million little things that affect the success or failure of a play and of individual players (and since there are so many factors, it was probably crazy hard for the developers to get things tuned properly). That and the fact that the Madden engine has never really been known for its balance. I can't speak for this year because I haven't played it, but in past years something has always been too strong or too weak.

In conclusion, I don't think the people who are having success should be telling those who are struggling that they're doing something wrong. They could very well be, but it's clear that this game could've used a ton more tuning, and sometimes there's just no way to run no matter what you do. Oh, and I'll also add that Troy Smith through 10 games has a QB rating of almost 130 in year one of my career. I don't think I would have to run at all if I didn't want to, and that's not something I'm happy about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »