Home

Started playing the game again...

This is a discussion on Started playing the game again... within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Started playing the game again...

I really love most aspects of the game, everything but the on-field play. I tried getting into it, but the on the field play always ended up putting me off. So, when a new game would come out, I would end up putting this away and focusing on one that didn't frustrate the hell out of me.

Now, since there aren't any other games I'm into at the moment, I popped this back in. I thought, hopefully, most of the things would frustrate would lessen if I was able to put up with it until my players were better, had the playbook mastered, better staff and my skills were higher. So, I set out determined to give it another honest attempt.

I started by picking the steelers playbook on offense, since I wanted to be able to run the ball and I figured the books good amount of big and 2 TE sets would give me a numbers advantage at the LOS. I also figured I can add more pass plays by stealing easier than runs. I went with the Jags book on defense, figuring it had a good mix of man, zone and blitz plays. The 4-2-5 was a close second, because it was smaller and would be easier to have players learn, but I ended up picking the Jags.

Since the thing that aggravates me most, both in this game and in all things football, if poor offense line play, I started off by focusing on that, performance, and running. I've now got all the offense line special skills, all but the last Running Game special skills, and a level 4 performance. My OC and QB coach are very skilled in performance and passing special skills. My Running back coach is a currently 95 rated Rathman. My defensive coaches are probably even more talented.

So, mostly simming I was able to get into year 3 without getting canned. I've got a strong club on both sides of the ball, the plays mastered, and a very good coaching staff. But on the field, the game is still frustrating the hell out of me. Terrible QB decisions from a 95 rated pure passer, Bad running game, and most irritating bad line play. I've got 90+ linemen across the board, with Clady and J. Jackson at tackle, and they consistently get embarrassed by bad defensive linemen. I swear, if I see Jackson or Clady get ragdoll'd by a low 70s DE against, I might start pulling out my hair.

Then on the other side, my defense can't stop anything. The opposing QB, no matter what they are rated, look like a Dan Marino, Manning or Elway. The CPU WR catch everything near them, mine have balls bounce off their faces. My DL can't get any pressure, Seeing a 95 rated X. Cox get stone walled by scrub Offensive tackles makes seeing the crappy CPU DL waltzing into my backfield even more sickening. And it doesn't seem to matter what I throw out there against the pass... Man, press, release, zones, cover 2, cover 3, zone blitz, mix coverage, etc... It all gets carved like a fat turkey on Thanksgiving.

So, now that I've vented (and thanks for hearing me out, if you made it this far), is their anything that can make the game better during game play? I remember it was being said that sliders didn't do anything much, and from what I tried back in the day, it seemed to back up that idea. But has there been any patch or anything that could fix the sliders? If so, any that might help? Would raising the user and lowering the cpu a smidge help at all? I thought I'd ask before I go messing around with them. Any other ideas are welcome. I'd really like to get into this game again, but the on field game play is still a roadblock for me. Otherwise, isn't it really just a fancy console text based sim? I mean, when I sim the games, other than the fact that McFadden and LeRon James usually end up with 20+ carries each per game and the QB has about 10 pass attempts, my players do very well. But I'd really like to be able to actually play a game without fighting the urge to hurl the controller in disgust...

Thanks!

Last edited by karmageddon28; 12-16-2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: fixing the format
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Started playing the game again...

The sliders I use now are Claystone's where he puts them ALL to 80 for both user and cpu, except for kicking. I have kicking adjust to around default for FG's, punting and kickoffs.

Oh and I started out with a MUCH tougher team to get going than the one you are using (Steelers). I am using the Redskins, and trust me I know what you are saying.

Redskins are probably THE hardest team to get better because:

1. First year they have like $5-6mil in cap room and thats it.
2. ALL and I do mean EVERY SINGLE coach they have sucks badly.
3. Their entire offensive and DEFENSIVE line is old, slow and gets injured regularly. In fact I don't believe any player on the offensive line at the start is under the age of 30.

4. They have a bad QB, bad secondary, decent linebackers but they can't do it all. Portis starts out in the game with like 60-65 health so he's always injured and Betts, Cartwright arent very good backs in the game at all.

TRUST ME...I feel your pain. However, hear this. I was able to CONSISTENTLY make it to the playoffs after my 5th year of rebuilding. It's not just the players having 90+ potential...you must check their intangible rating as well. If it's under 75 they are going to have problems.

Coaches need to have MOST of their special skills, performance, strategy, and chemistry need to be ATLEAST 4 potential if not 5's.

And you as the head coach need to have your performance up as well as special skills.

Another thing is you need to make sure your players are happy (not just content) in order for you to do extremely well. Players fumble, drop balls, don't block for crap, etc etc., if they are not happy as their performance drops.

Give it time and keep working at it. Make sure you have a good amount of plays at MASTER level as well.

I don't sim, I don't supersim ..I play every game and after a while your O-line will open up huge holes for your back, your QB will make great passes and he'll avoid rushes.

Have patience and it will come.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

hi guys! Anyone who still play with the NFL HC on PC? I need the HC Settings 0.4 program. Can somebody send me? THX
Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks for the tips, and I will try to stick with it. Oh, and after reading a while ago that Storm Stewart makes a great power back when converted from TE, I moved up to draft him. Looking at his ratings, current and potential, the only thing that worries me is his carry rating... 75 with no growth potential. Has anyone used him as a HB? Does he have fumble problems? I'd love to have 259 pound, fast, tackle breaking power back, but I always worry about turnovers.

Oh, also, I drafted Jordan Taylor at QB. I have Morrow, but after to rough post seasons, I wanted someone more mobile and Taylor's 90+ speed and acc looked good. I had Josh Johnson and remembered he'd take off running when no one was open, but could hit the broad side of a barn with a pass... Then I got Dane and he has good passing ratings, but can't move. I was hoping Taylor would be a little of both, but in 3 preseason games, giving him all but the opening drive, he stands there waiting for the sack with lots of running room available. Is it just because he doesn't know the playbook, or is not a runner at all? From what I recall with Johnson, the less he knew the playbook, the more he ran.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

As mentioned above, it sounds like your sliders are messed up. I am using AdamBroski's old sliders and it isn't perfect in-game but it is pretty decent. Way better than it used to be. It's good enough to get me through to the other stuff I enjoy more, scouting, drafting, trading, and all that other stuff. I don't think I could play if all I did was supersim all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »