Home

Team Position Philosophies

This is a discussion on Team Position Philosophies within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Team Position Philosophies

As anyone looked into or maybe done a guide on the different positional philosophies as this is a area im struggling in finding players that fit in.

I have Tony Romo under "strong arm/tool" with a rating of 88 but if a change to "field general" is 94?? What is a "field general"?

Its same at WR with Owen and Williams set to default "speed", what are these players really classed as cos it aint speed im sure

Hamlin playing FS is under "man coverage" but what are you looking for to run centrefield/balanced/protype/run support etc.

God I could go on all day with this just find it so confusing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Team Position Philosophies

Those mostly just help you decide if someone fits your philosophy. The ratings for attribute don't actually change when you change philosophies. However, by using them you can evaluate whether someone would fit your scheme or not without checking every single attribute they have.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Rookie

But how do you know what to look for in a player to fit your scheme?

I with the cowboys running the 3-4 defence so what is the difference between a prototype DE to a Versatile/3-4 or balanced?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Rookie

I'm not sure on all of them. I just use balanced for DEs. The fastest way to find out is to switch your philosophy, go to rosters, look up someone highly rated with that philosophy and check where their attributes are. That should tell you what is valued by each. For instance Field General values awareness and learning more than some of the physical skills. At least that's what I believe to be the case.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Rookie

Thanks Sammage for the help.

So would I be right in thinking a "prototype FS" would be a near perfect modal i.e can cover man/zone, tackle, blitz etc compared to a "centrefield" who would maybe just have the cover skills with maybe good awareness so just to sit in the backfield and judge monitor the play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Rookie

Once u set ur philosophy, you shoudnt change it again. The only exception is if you absolutely cant find the player to fit your system/scheme/philosophy.

My current career is with the cheifs. I had a franchise with the dolphins, and i had a pass 1st, run later offense. I used the Tom Moores passing attack, and the pats d.

My current career with the cheifs is a power running offense,(steelers smash mouth) and the same pats d. I love the pats d.

My philosophies are:

QB- Field General -(Definition)- Controlle the entire offense, and field. Makes checks, audibles, sets motions, hot routes...e.t.c..Think of field general as Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady.

RB- Power HB -(Definition)- Think Giants, Steelers,and the Ravens. Power runs up the middle and eating up that defense

FB-Blocking -(Definition)- Exactly that...Blocking for my RB, and QB when needed

WR-Speed -(Definition)- I love speed...But this one is obvious. Guys who have great speed, that can stretch the field when needed. Think Steve Smith

TE- Balanced(Blocking) (Definition)- Balanced is a TE that can do everything...Block, catch/play maker/soft hands, run routes, has speed. Think Jason Witten that can to all of this. Blocking is just like the FB position. Think Kyle Brady, former Patriot, or Heath Miller.

OL-Size/Stength/Mauler-(Definition)-Think the Dallas Cowboys O-line. Big, powerful, strong, and physical. I like to have big offensive lineman to just ware down that front 7

DL- Run stopper/3-4 DE, Run stopper/3-4 DT-(Definition)- since i use the Pats D, base 3-4 defense, I need and have big D-lineman. IN my current franchis my Nose tackle is 6'8'', 345lbs. My ends have to be 6'5'' or taller, and must weigh 300 lbs or more. Again they are run stoppers, so they have to big, strong, and physical. Think Richard Seymour, Shaun Rogers, Chris Canty. U get the picture.

LB- OLB-Pass rusher/3-4 OLB-(Definition) Think Demarcuse Ware, James Harrison, Shawn Merriman. LB's that can rush the passer.
MLB-3-4/tackler-(Definition) Think Bradie James, or Larry foote, and Tedy Bru****. It fits the defense to have MLB that can tackle.

DB-
CB- Man coverage/ballhawk-(definition) Think Nnamdi Asomugha, Charles Woodson. These guys u can leave them alone on an island....with no problem. I play strictly man most the time, i need guys that can cover.
FS- Balanced-(definition)- A FS that can do it all. Hit hard, Cover, e.t.c....think of him like Antrel Rolle or Brian Dawkins.
SS- Hard Hitting/run support-(definition)- Think Roy Williams in his prime, Adrian Wilson.

K/P-Balanched(definition) both great at power kicking, but also accuracy.

Again, once you set your philosophy, dont change it. At least i dont. I want to find guys that can fit "MY SYSTEM". U DONT FIT YOUR SYSTEM TO THE PLAYERS. What ever vision or direction you want to go with, you have to find players that can fit that. These are my philosophies, and what they mean.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks for your thoughts I do like your setup. I would like to run the "man coverage/ballhawk" but only have Newman and Jenkins back there. Do you think there would fit the bill and would it harm me to change midway through the season?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcop
Thanks for your thoughts I do like your setup. I would like to run the "man coverage/ballhawk" but only have Newman and Jenkins back there. Do you think there would fit the bill and would it harm me to change midway through the season?

I think they will be fine. I had a career with the boys. I dont think it would harm you to change them. The only thing that will harm them is there overall, the potential, and attributes. Alot of times other Head coaches players(like u and I) change the philosophy to fit the player....so that the player can get the "HIGHEST" potential and overall. But we all know that to be a coach u need to have a plan, and carry out that plan. We cant let players influence what we want to do. We are the head coaches. feel me. But i hope i was to some help to u.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »