Home

Thoughts on Changing Coaches?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Changing Coaches? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Thoughts on Changing Coaches?

OK, so here's the question.

Is it better to change position coaches and coordinators until you get that highly-rated guy that you want? Or is it better to get one that's higher than what you currently have, keep him for several years and try to build him up?

I have 3 position coaches that are rated very low: my RB coach (37 OVR), my LB coach (40 OVR) and OL Coach (28). I hired them in the 2nd year of my franchise, and each one replaced an even lower predecessor. (My RB coach in year one was something like a 5.)

So should I keep trying to get those highly-rated coaches, or should I just be patient and try to build these guys up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
WAT

Mr. Franchise's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Thoughts on Changing Coaches?

Build up special skills. FA coaches usually don't have 'em.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
MVP

So build up special skills before other skills, and just stick with the ones I have?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

I usually work on special skills first.

Big thing to remember... when you hire new coaches, going into the playoffs will sink you. The pool of coaches starts before the playoffs end. The deeper you go in the playoffs, the more FA Coaches will be gone when you finish your playoff run. The best time to hire new coaches is during a year you miss the playoffs. Sure, there are times when a coach who went to the Superbowl gets fired or quits and it doesn't hurt you but more often than not you want to hire when you don't make the playoffs so you can see all the options.

In my most recent season, the Eagles knocked me out in the wildcard, won the Superbowl.... and then fired their DC... a 99 overall. I had pulled the trigger on a 47 rated DC at the begining of the FA Coach signing period. *sigh* It happens, but it's rare.

I look not only at skills but personality. I hire coaches that have less upside who have stable personalities. I hired all Super Star types when I didn't understand the game well and I'd spend two season building them up... and they always left. Nothing sucks quite like hitting a 99 overall and having them go work for your rival the following year.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
MVP

How can you tell a coach's personality? Is it simply listed at the top of his card, i.e. 'Guru' or 'Commander?' Or is there something else that I'm missing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I build up their regular skills. that's what effects the improvement of your players. I build up my head coaches special skills first, but for the other guys I want them to be able to teach my players.

I signed a RB coach that was rated like 37, but he already had the Fumble prevention special skill, even though he didn't have any of the prerequisites. With a guy that didn't have it, I'd have to buy all the prereqs first, then the skill, which is really really expensive. So with him I've been building him up, because it would take a lot of points for another guy to come in and get to that level.

so I'd say keep the guys with the skills you value, and the guys with high potential. dump the guys that will cost a fortune to improve, or have low potentials. if you make the playoffs you probably won't find anyone better then what you have once you are done with the season.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
MVP

Good thoughts. Thanks, gang.

A question about hiring new coaches and their potentials...

When hiring someone, is there a way to see what their potential is before you commit to him? I know that you can see their current levels in some skills, but is there a way to determined/see what their potentials are?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
Good thoughts. Thanks, gang.

A question about hiring new coaches and their potentials...

When hiring someone, is there a way to see what their potential is before you commit to him? I know that you can see their current levels in some skills, but is there a way to determined/see what their potentials are?
No. You can see a few items and the "Level" that coach has in those skills (on the intro to bidding screen) but that's it. You can't see special skills or potential max on regular skills, just where they are when you are thinking about hiring them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »