Home

Super bowl in first year

This is a discussion on Super bowl in first year within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14
Super bowl in first year

Just finished up my first season as the Cowboy's coach. Created a new coach and played (err...coached) all of the games. Called the offense, let the DC call the defense.

After a really rough regular season where I won 3 or 4 games on either last second plays or within the last minute and lost 4 or 5 games the same way, I earned a wildcard slot in the playoffs with a less than stellar 9-7 record. The Eagles and Giants had both beat me up in the regular season. I was a combined 0-4 against them. The last two games against both teams were crushing losses. One in which the Giants scored the go ahead touchdown after a 2 play 38 second drive, capped by a Brandon Jacobs 39 yard run and the one to the Eagles was a comeback bid that fell just short, 26-22. Both the Giants and the Eagles finished the season with a 14-2 record and looked to be on a collision course in the NFC Championship game.

Meanwhile, I limped into the playoffs with a rather low approval rating, 72. I was just hoping to get one win and keep from getting fired. I figured I could get a win against the Bears in the opening round playoff matchup and man did I ever. I walloped the Bears soundly, 33-14. And it really wasn't that close.

Next up, the Eagles. As mentioned earlier, the Eagles had pounded me in the first part of the season 35-14 and edged me out 26-22 toward the end of the season, but really had manhandled me much of the game as I scored 2 late touchdowns. I can't explain what changed, but the Cowboys came alive and smashed the Eagles in the First half and held on to win 25-21. Romo was 18-20 for the game and the defense held McNabb down in the first half and held on for the win despite McNabb catching fire. Man was I shocked. The Cowboys were hitting a late season charge and looking great.

Meanwhile, my opponent for the NFC championship game, surprisingly, was not the New York Giants. They were upset by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who I incidentally pounded earlier in the year 52-24 (my only dominating victory of the year). Needless to say, I felt very good about my chances of getting to the Super Bowl.

The NFC Championship game started off very well for the Cowboys as I jumped to a 14-0 lead. A 69 yard run by Earnest Graham changed that quickly as Tampa Bay rushed for 150 yards in the first half and matched the Cowboys potent offense yard for yard. The halftime score was 28-21. The scoring continued for both squads, as the defenses were no where to be found. I held on for the win 42-35 as we exchanged 2 touchdowns during the 2nd half.

I couldn't actually believe I had made the Super Bowl after such a topsy turvy regular season, what with battling injuries and tough loss after tough loss.

New England would be my opponent for the Super Bowl. I didn't give myself much of a chance again, especially after Jeff Garcia and Earnest Graham had torched me for 450 yards of offense in the NFC championship.

Well, let's just say the Super Bowl was not very exciting. The Cowboys were up from the outset and never looked back as Tom Brady looked out of sync (lots of balls hit the ground). I ran away with the game, up 17-3 at half and 30-9 late in the 4th quarter, before NE closed with a late touchdown to make it 30-15.

Anyways, sorry for the length. Just thought I would share what turned out to be a New York Giants type Super Bowl run.

By the way, this game is fun as hell.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Super bowl in first year

Nicely done, and congratulations!

The thrill hasn't left for me even though my Packers usually blow people out. Yes, it's absolutely fun as hell.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Super bowl in first year

Thanks for the nice words.

Going to do a pretty major overhaul of the team. Getting rid of Greg Ellis, Roy Williams, Kevin Burnett, Flozell Adams, Zach Thomas, Sam Hurd, Brad Johnson, and Tank Johnson. Going to move Anthony Henry to the FS and move Ken Hamlin over to SS and see how that works out.

Going to try to get rid of aging overpaid players and really work the draft. Going to try to stay away from free agents. I am going to look at drafting a NT, DE, MLB, FS or SS depending on what's available, WR, and an OL, and a draft a future quarterback to groom behind Romo. Thinking about trading down out of the first round to pick up some extra draft picks and try to steal some solid players. Really looking forward to my first draft.

I think I am going to stay away from getting special skills for my created coach. Worried about the game getting to easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »