Home

Dallas Cowboys War Room

This is a discussion on Dallas Cowboys War Room within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2024, 02:47 PM   #5449
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Dallas Cowboys War Room

Yeah I don't think any of you will be able to convince me how deliberately making the roster worse by dragging out when core players get paid or obtusely demanding proven players continue to prove their already-demonstrated value is going to help the team win more games and improve its final results.

The Cowboys have won 36 regular season games over the past three seasons. Only the Chiefs have won more regular season games over that span. Sure, the postseason wins haven't come the way we've wanted to, but this was a good team plenty worth continuing to build upon. We can probably agree that a good way to improve the team is to add more proven players. The path forward to do that was to create cap space by extending the franchise quarterback's contract (along with the contracts of other key players).

That didn't happen because the front office is deliberately jerking around its talent for stupid and myopic reasons. As a result of their dragging their feet on important contracts, the team roster is now significantly worse as many starters and contributors have now moved on and there is no easy path to replace them. At the same time, we share a division with a team which aggressively acquires and retains talent and constantly works around the salary cap, that of course being the Eagles. Comparing how the Eagles' front office operates with how the Cowboys does its business is utterly infuriating.

The "win with less" idea is a fundamentally stupid approach to cap management and roster construction, and it is flatly antithetical to the process of building a team capable of winning a Super Bowl.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 03-27-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:20 PM   #5450
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Dallas Cowboys War Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The "win with less" idea is a fundamentally stupid approach to cap management and roster construction, and it is flatly antithetical to the process of building a team capable of winning a Super Bowl.
Let’s be honest - they’re only dragging their feet on one guy’s contract. Lamb is apparently among a crop of WRs at that tier who haven’t signed yet and Micah’s deal falls behind that one in terms of timing.

So where are we now with Dak? When I criticized him and his playoff performances in the past, you dismissed it as some punk fan whining on an Internet forum. Maybe it’s not just some minority of fans’ opinion.

You’re on record saying he’d be paid before Sept 2024 - of which you still have six months. Will you at least acknowledge that there is reason to be fed up? That it’s quite possible he suffers from playoff yips given how he starts these games?

Yes, dangling a franchise QB is risky. Yes, it’s the safe play to pay the QB and continue HOPING he shows up in postseason. But you can’t present that as if there’s zero risk to it. If we can’t get out of the **first round with NFC championship level rosters (at least), what are we doing?

**yes, he went on the road and beat up Tampa Bay

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by RGiles36; 03-27-2024 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:11 PM   #5451
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Let’s be honest - they’re only dragging their feet on one guy’s contract. Lamb is apparently among a crop of WRs at that tier who haven’t signed yet and Micah’s deal falls behind that one in terms of timing.

So where are we now with Dak? When I criticized him and his playoff performances in the past, you dismissed it as some punk fan whining on an Internet forum. Maybe it’s not just some minority of fans’ opinion.

You’re on record saying he’d be paid before Sept 2024 - of which you still have six months. Will you at least acknowledge that there is reason to be fed up? That it’s quite possible he suffers from playoff yips given how he starts these games?

Yes, dangling a franchise QB is risky. Yes, it’s the safe play to pay the QB and continue HOPING he shows up in postseason. But you can’t present that as if there’s zero risk to it. If we can’t get out of the **first round with NFC championship level rosters (at least), what are we doing?

**yes, he went on the road and beat up Tampa Bay

Sure, I get that Cowboys fans are fed up at the lack of postseason success. I am also annoyed.

At the same time, I personally do not believe that removing from the roster one of the best active players at the most important position in professional sports improves the team’s chances of achieving postseason success. I also don’t believe that letting said player’s contract and cap hold hang over the roster, impeding the front office’s ability to acquire and retain talented help for said player, improves the team’s chances of postseason success.

I guess we’ll see if Dak Prescott gets re-signed. To me the decision is still as obvious as it was last summer, if not even more so after his stellar 2023, not to mention the salary cap implications which have had the Jones family sitting on their hands this spring. If it doesn’t happen, though, then I suppose my mistake was believing that the front office of the named-many-times-over most valuable franchise in professional sports was actually interested in acquiring and retaining the top talent required to win championships.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2024, 08:39 PM   #5452
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Fair points CMH - I agree with a lot of that. But also, your guy has to play better when it counts. He has a big hand in this.

The reason the Jones hem and haw with him at the contract table (now and previously) is bc he gives you just enough pause for you to question committing.

I’m not all or nothing as a fan. I like sitting down fall Sunday afternoons knowing my team will likely win with Prescott under center. But if we’re to believe he has a postseason problem with supporting statistical evidence, then it’s fair for the front office to hesitate, no?

The hesitance may show more commitment to winning long term than to keep peddling playoff one and done rosters.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:37 PM   #5453
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Lael Collins signs with Buffalo. I wasn't expecting much, but I thought
he would be excellent for depth.

Weird offseason continues..
Old 04-05-2024, 10:33 AM   #5454
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
Lael Collins signs with Buffalo. I wasn't expecting much, but I thought
he would be excellent for depth.

Weird offseason continues..
At least Edoga is coming back. That still should change the plan to go OL in the 1st. Here's what I would do personally.

LT-Mims/Guyton/Latham/Fashanu/Barton/Morgan/Suamataia
LG-Tyler
C-Hoffman
RG-Zack
RT-Steele

or

LT-Tyler
LG-Bass
C-New Guy (hopefully JPJ vs. Hoffman in pre-season)
RG-Zack
RT-Steele
Old 04-05-2024, 01:47 PM   #5455
MVP

adriano's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
At least Edoga is coming back. That still should change the plan to go OL in the 1st. Here's what I would do personally.

LT-Mims/Guyton/Latham/Fashanu/Barton/Morgan/Suamataia
LG-Tyler
C-Hoffman
RG-Zack
RT-Steele

or

LT-Tyler
LG-Bass
C-New Guy (hopefully JPJ vs. Hoffman in pre-season)
RG-Zack
RT-Steele
I have a feeling Dallas will not draft a OT, unless they trade down.
It all depends on their board. For some reason I see them getting
a WR. So many skilled WR's in this draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2024, 02:43 PM   #5456
MVP

adriano's Arena

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft

I know Mock Draft Simulators do not take account
for teams boards since they are unknown.

This site was fun to use. I picked Dallas and even
accepted some trades. Most of the time I stayed
with my first pick. Center Jackson Powers Johnson.

Then moved down from my second or third pick.
Majority of the time I got either LB J Trotter Jr or
Edgerin Cooper. As my second round selection.
Attached Images
File Type: png My Draft.png (71.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by adriano; 04-19-2024 at 02:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »