Home

Divinity: Original Sin

This is a discussion on Divinity: Original Sin within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #105
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Divinity: Original Sin

Woah, the 14th, I don't know why I thought it was the 28th. I slept on the first one for like two years before playing it, but 2 is a day one for me.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #106
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Having just played through the tutorial mission of DOS 2, for what I like in a game, this has G.O.A.T potential.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #107
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

I guess DOS2 is on All Time great levels. Being called this generations Baldurs Gate.

Can't wait for OSX version. Hopefully!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 AM   #108
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

What jumps out to me is how much better the writing is. I put a lot of hours into the first game, but it was mainly due to the sublime turn-based combat. It wasn't long before I found myself not caring about the story or characters and started skipping through dialogue. I honestly couldn't even bring myself to finish it because so much of it was just so silly and ridiculous that it made the world feel artificial. Original Sin 2 is more serious and darker, but there's still plenty of humor. Larian just struck a much better balance this time, and the Origin Stories for characters and better voice-acting have me way more invested. Presentation overall is a big step up.

Mechanics are better and more polished. I like the new armor system, because you can't just start a battle off by CC'ing everything. Now in most fights physical or magical armor needs to be depleted before most CC skills will even work. This new system has so far led to more diversity in skills and strategies being used.

The amount of legit freedom, choice, and consequence that permeates through the game's systems and quests, is genuinely staggering. Across the board it's been really impressing me.

It's also selling really well, so expect it to come to other platforms like OSX and consoles next year.

Some reviews:

Eurogamer - Essential

Quote:
There's such a wide range of influences visible in Larian's work. Ultima and XCOM are the obvious ones, but there are other moments, such as when you're breaking into a house or searching for a hidden hatch to the basement, that the game suddenly feels more like Thief or Dishonored. The game foremost in my mind while playing, however, was The Witcher 3.

This isn't because of the setting or Divinity's similar ponderings over morality. It's because I thought it would be many years before I played another RPG that was even close to being that rich with choice and charisma. Original Sin 2 has made me question that belief, and I don't think I could give it a higher accolade.

IGN - 9.6

Quote:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 may have been designed in the spirit of decades-old RPGs like Baldur’s Gate 2, but that legacy serves only as a foundation for the expansive game Larian has built on top of it. Few other RPGs allow such a wide range of flexibility while also supporting rewarding combat and a powerful story, all in a world that feels alive in the ways it reacts to you and goes about its business without you. It's a rare RPG that I’ll want to play through again and again, driven by the feeling that so many fascinating and surprising paths remain undiscovered, some of which might lead to different outcomes for the NPCs I’ve grown to care about – even the rats. When that happens, you're experiencing something worth remembering, and Divinity: Original Sin 2 will be remembered as one of the greats.

Game Informer - 9.75

Quote:
Whether your approach to discovering the secrets of the gods is with a truncheon, a silver tongue, stealth and guile, or the mysteries of magic, the world is constantly testing and responding to your touch. Talk to animals. Murder people. Steal everything. Teleport across impassable territory. Convince potential foes to join you. Pick the door’s lock, smash it down, discover a hidden tunnel, or use the secret password. Tear the lids off ancient sarcophagi with your insane strength. Have tea with a noted historian with your scholarly intellect. Or play the traditional hero. It’s all up to you, in any amount. While this degree of freedom can be overwhelming at first, it quickly leads to mild euphoria as you realize that you’re free to interact with the people, places, and problems any way you wish. Little can compare to coming up with your own solution to the hundreds of decisions you face

PC Gamer - 92

Quote:
And it’s that intimidating, ambitious scope, that dedication to player freedom, that makes Divinity: Original Sin 2 so impressive. There isn’t another RPG that lets you do so much. Larian promised a lot, and it has absolutely followed through, crafting a singular game that juggles a bounty of complex, immersive systems, and never drops them.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 AM   #109
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

60 hours in Original Sin 2 and still in Act II. It's so good. Writing continues to be huge leap over the first game. It's substantial how much more effort was put into the story and world building. I just wish there was random party banter, because I want to hear the characters more.

My party:

Lohse as main. Her origin story was the most interesting to me and the one I wanted to influence the most. Some of the Jester dialogue options are pretty great. I made her a Summoner/Support with Hydro and Geo spells. Couple in Aero because Teleport skill is too good. Once you get Summoning to 10, your Incarnate becomes beastly.

Ifan as Warrior with sword and shield. Tank doesn't really work all that well with Provoke (taunt) being pretty useless, but he still does good damage, especially the Captain America shield throw once you start getting good shields. Dipped into Polymorph for some nice skills.

Sebille as Ranger is the MVP of pretty much every fight. Rangers hit so hard. With Adrenaline from Scoundrel and her innate ability, Flesh Sacrifice, she gets 3 AP on the first turn. She's either killing someone or completely destroying their armor on every turn.

Fane as Wizard with Pyro and Geo. Couple in Aero for Teleport and Evasion and Polymorph for Wings, so he can fly around. He was pretty weak early on, but has sinse got much better as I've found more and more gear that increases his crit. Then got him the talent that gives all his spells the same critical chance as his crit. Even being an Undead, keeping him alive hasn't been as much maintenance as I thought it would. His innate ability to Play Dead is hilarious.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #110
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

I think I need to get Win 10 in bootcamp to play this game. I can't wait for the OS X version. Just sounds incredible.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #111
Pro

OVR: 8

I played about an hour just walking around the ship talking to the different characters. The writing is fantastic! And the game is graphically beyond anything I've seen in this type of game. It's polished top to bottom.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #112
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I wonder when this will come to the PS4. Took a year after release last time.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/09/is-div...coming-to-ps4/

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »