Home

The Psychology Behind Ultimate Team's Success

This is a discussion on The Psychology Behind Ultimate Team's Success within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Psychology Behind Ultimate Team's Success

In the summer of 2007, two roads diverged, on the path to developing a new fantasy team mode in sports videogames.

One track, named UEFA Champions League 2006–2007, sent gamers on a card-collecting quest, with the goal of building a five-star team of superstar soccer players.

The other trail, titled All-Pro Football 2K8, felt more like a recess game of football, where two talented captains picked their supporting casts from a lineup of flawed role players, each inhibited by multiple shortcomings, but blessed with one or two specialized skills.

The videogame business, naturally, took the road more easily monetized -- spawning fantasy team modes like Ultimate Team, My Team and Diamond Dynasty, which were not primarily designed to be fun, but instead, to test gamers' purchasing patience and spending self-control.

Read More - The Psychology Behind Ultimate Team's Success
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Great F'ing article. I've found myself caught up in those types of modes in online games in the past until I realized how ridiculous it is while being completely addicting.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Reignman Baby!

SonicBoom2040's Arena

OVR: 2
This is exactly why I refuse to use those game modes. If the game play was worth it then maybe...but when my player A.I. is so screwed up it makes it just pointless. Then they micro transaction you to death and in the end it simply isn't worth it. In my opinion of course. Also it creates a situation where now the gaming company itself is more focused on getting that extra buck than actually improving the game itself. Kinda sad really
Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Never have played any of those modes... I mean, if I want an ultimate team on a game I simply make the trades (and play offline). Not gonna buy players who are already in the game just to play with them online...against some else who has those players too. I just don't get it....and wish it weren't so popular because thats where games like Madden are putting their focus at.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Never did understand why so many people like those modes. I just want my Franchise and Career modes. Any new ideas for modes are great but this Ultimate Team stuff is pretty ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPinkBlackrose
Never have played any of those modes... I mean, if I want an ultimate team on a game I simply make the trades (and play offline). Not gonna buy players who are already in the game just to play with them online...against some else who has those players too. I just don't get it....and wish it weren't so popular because thats where games like Madden are putting their focus at.
this is just about everything I have to say about it. Offline dynasties, careers and stuff is my thing
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Rookie

BCDX97's Arena

OVR: 4
I hate those modes. Either a dreadful boring grind with an awful team or paying tons of money! No thanks, I'll pass.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
MVP

bigball12's Arena

OVR: 12
Very well written, and worth the read.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »