Home

Carraggi's Corner: How Much Sim is Too Much Sim?

This is a discussion on Carraggi's Corner: How Much Sim is Too Much Sim? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Carraggi's Corner: How Much Sim is Too Much Sim?

OK sim nuts, imagine this.

You have been building your franchise for a few years in NBA 2K10 with the sole purpose of keeping your star player when he hits the market. You get bounced from the playoffs year after year, mainly because you can’t afford to make the move that will put your squad over the top for fear of handicapping you financially when "The One" opts out of his contract. It's worth it though because all those titles He is going to bring to the city is going to make the Yankees look like the Pirates.

The problem is you suffer another the-sun-will-come-out-tomorrow playoff loss in the player's contract year. Still, you offer that player the max deal you have been saving up for -- only the game does everything short of sleeping with your girlfriend by rejecting it. As the virtual agent says, "sorry, but my client is taking his talents to South Beach" you sit there with a $30 million check with no name on it and Antawn Jamison bobblehead nights as far as the eye can see.

Read More - Carraggi's Corner: How Much Sim is Too Much Sim?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Uh?

What is sim to a Lakers fan is far different than a Clippers fan, right?

What prevents games from being sim is that developers don't allow users to customize the experience for themselves.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 16
NBA 2k10 is far from sim. Rarely does a team in the NBA scores more points in the paint than out of it.

Take a look at a shot chart from the NBA.

Game 7 of the NBA finals was one of the ugliest games you will see. The Lakers scored 38 of their 83 in the paint. Take away 5 for fast break points.

The Celtics scored 36 out of 79 points in the paint and subtract 6 points for fast breaks.

Yet in NBA2k you will see 60 the 80% of a persons points scored int he paint.

In 2k8 the blocks were high. The high block pct kept people from running to the paint. It kept them honest.

They need to think about bringing that back.

In NBA2k I may have played one or two games out of a 100 where another player scores less than 50% of their points in the paint.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Rookie

Beastly Wayz's Arena

OVR: 15
NO We want the Real game.... Ha Ha
Old 08-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
NBA 2k10 is far from sim. Rarely does a team in the NBA scores more points in the paint than out of it.

Take a look at a shot chart from the NBA.

Game 7 of the NBA finals was one of the ugliest games you will see. The Lakers scored 38 of their 83 in the paint. Take away 5 for fast break points.

The Celtics scored 36 out of 79 points in the paint and subtract 6 points for fast breaks.

Yet in NBA2k you will see 60 the 80% of a persons points scored int he paint.

In 2k8 the blocks were high. The high block pct kept people from running to the paint. It kept them honest.

They need to think about bringing that back.

In NBA2k I may have played one or two games out of a 100 where another player scores less than 50% of their points in the paint.
He's talking less about the gameplay and more about the franchise aspect. He's saying the franchise mode is probably as good as we should want before it gets too real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Carraggi's Corner: How Much Sim is Too Much Sim?

I want the real deal. I want to feel like Dan Gilbert after my star player crippled my franchise or Mark Cuban who took his franchise from zeros to heroes. This is why I play. I could just play one season and be happy or even online (when it works lol). I understand it is a game but that feeling of going 4/5 seasons (playing every game) and then winning the championship is great. And it is only preparing me until I really own my team or become a GM lol
Old 08-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16
I understand the point he's trying to get at, but I just can't get on board w/ it... the leap he's trying to make from current franchise modes to the situations he's portraying here are huge. Theres a million things that should happen in between

of course theres a line that should be drawn between real life and video games, I'm not arguing that. But anyone who thinks were even close to that line is out of their minds... heck, last I checked Madden couldn't even get IR to work right. Can we hold off the thanks until then?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1
Aside from the weird World Cup overall dropoff, I would gladly accept a super sim style franchise mode where a top superstar rejected a max deal from my team to go to another high profile team, or where one of my players had to miss significant time due to an off the field incident. In Madden 10, I would allow myself only a couple attempts to sign my free agents and if they didn't accept the deal, I would let them hit the open market (barring the occasional franchise tag usage, of course). It led to some very interesting roster movement, helped to increase the overall fun in the franchise mode itself and will be something I carry over to Madden 11 this coming season.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »