Home

Why Fighting Games Should be Considered Sports Games

This is a discussion on Why Fighting Games Should be Considered Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 39
Fighting games should not be considered sports game for the shear fact that you don't see any of the unrealistic things in arcade fighters happening in real sports. When have you seen Bruce Lee throw a fireball?

This is the type of thinking that hampers sports games that where fans are looking for realism to the sport they like in a videogame.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 7
I'm a MASSIVE fan of both fighting games and sports games. I'm a regular visitor of both Shoryuken.com and this website. the fact is both audience are very different, both community look for different things.

I know when i pick up a fighting game like SSF4 im looking to play 100% online. (the only games I will probably ever play online.) They are deep games, but the 2D nature and the extreme balancing that goes into them makes the online fair, makes it very hard for people to abuse a certain mechanic. Once you play for a few weeks, the mashers and spammers become walkovers, and they usually stop playing after a few months.

I cant play sports games online. Games like NHL, The Show, Madden, have so many mechanics, so many options, and so many ways for potential cheating that the online can be cheated no matter what the developers do. It then becomes unfun whether i win or lose. I play sports games offline for realism. NBA 2k11 plays like real basketball offline, its challenging and very fun, online its a farce. (at least in my experience)

So to sum up, that is just one of many differences. to be honest the argument is pointless because mostly the two audiences for these genres are interested in different things. You tell most fighting game fans that OS is considering including their genre into their sporting website, and they wouldn't care, nor would they come here instead of Shoryuken.

Sure their are people like me that love both genres, but i dont really consider them the same even though i love both equally. This is my place for sports games, SRK is my place for fighting games, and no matter what either site choose to incorporate in the future that my preferences won change.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why Fighting Games Should be Considered Sports Games

BBS now is very strict, irritated dead,. Sometimes when I'm in a good mood in BBS see, or to send some things, but the results management personnel to tell us, sorry, you can't enter the mood is really can't describe
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Why Fighting Games Should be Considered Sports Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrisguitar
I'm a MASSIVE fan of both fighting games and sports games. I'm a regular visitor of both Shoryuken.com and this website. the fact is both audience are very different, both community look for different things.

I know when i pick up a fighting game like SSF4 im looking to play 100% online. (the only games I will probably ever play online.) They are deep games, but the 2D nature and the extreme balancing that goes into them makes the online fair, makes it very hard for people to abuse a certain mechanic. Once you play for a few weeks, the mashers and spammers become walkovers, and they usually stop playing after a few months.

I cant play sports games online. Games like NHL, The Show, Madden, have so many mechanics, so many options, and so many ways for potential cheating that the online can be cheated no matter what the developers do. It then becomes unfun whether i win or lose. I play sports games offline for realism. NBA 2k11 plays like real basketball offline, its challenging and very fun, online its a farce. (at least in my experience)

So to sum up, that is just one of many differences. to be honest the argument is pointless because mostly the two audiences for these genres are interested in different things. You tell most fighting game fans that OS is considering including their genre into their sporting website, and they wouldn't care, nor would they come here instead of Shoryuken.

Sure their are people like me that love both genres, but i dont really consider them the same even though i love both equally. This is my place for sports games, SRK is my place for fighting games, and no matter what either site choose to incorporate in the future that my preferences won change.

I mostly feel the same way as you do regarding the relationship between sports games and fighting games as I'm a big sports/motorsports fan and a huge longtime fan of the VF series. But I do not agree with your paragraph on playing sports games online at all. If you think NBA 2K11 cannot play like real basketball online, then you've been playing against the wrong people. Playing NBA 2K11 online against a competent human who knows the finer points of basketball will display a more realistic brand of basketball than the CPU could ever replicate, regardless of gameplay slider setups and accurate tendency settings.

Kruza
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Fighting games, because they have the power meter and ultra-mobile and I like it! !

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Technically it is a sport.

The category of "sim" and "arcade" should separate the two.

The early Virtual Fighter would def be consider a sport..

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
Fighting games should not be considered sports game for the shear fact that you don't see any of the unrealistic things in arcade fighters happening in real sports. When have you seen Bruce Lee throw a fireball?

This is the type of thinking that hampers sports games that where fans are looking for realism to the sport they like in a videogame.
Wow, great point, I didn't even think of that until I read your post!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
So what should NBA Jam be considered?

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »