Home

Most Innovative Feature of 2011: Champion Mode

This is a discussion on Most Innovative Feature of 2011: Champion Mode within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Most Innovative Feature of 2011: Champion Mode

This past year wasn't a year of revolution for many sports games but rather evolution. While there were some interesting new features introduced to our favorite games, from the Coaching Carousel in NCAA Football 12 to the Impact Physics Engine of FIFA -- it seemed to always be a two horse race between NBA's Greatest Mode in NBA 2K12 and Champion Mode from Fight Night Champion for the OS Staff Writers.

The voting in this category was closer than any other category for the staff here at OS, but Champion Mode ended up taking the win in this category.

Read More - Most Innovative Feature of 2011: Champion Mode
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Interesting, I actually passed on FNC because I had read that it was a kind of canned 'beat this fight x way, then this fight y way'. It being static and predeterined rather than a more dynamic feel of adversity left me to not even give the game a shot.

The WWE Universe mode getting mentioned here will probably get me to pick up that title, haven't played the Smackdown vs RAW series in a couple years and enjoyed the man-RPG.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
I honestly dont see the difference between Champion mode and WWE 12's RTWM which wasnt nominted. Overall they both sucked IMHO
Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 6
Seriously? Champion mode is the most innovative feature? A cliche(yet enjoyable) story mode with scripted fights? Must of won by default this year.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 33
Champion Mode. Innovative? Not really. Merely a career mode with a background story designed to add a little shock & surprise to an ailing game. For something to be innovative I'd think it would need to be a feature that would inspire other developers. WWE 12's Universe Mode is something that most sport games could benefit from & therefore, even though I don't play the game due to my lack of interest in wrestling & my inability to even grasp the basics of the control system, I believe this mode wins hands down.
I also question the inclusion of NBA 2K12's Greatest Mode in this vote as this was merely an expansion
on the feature incorporated in 2K11.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
Champion Mode. Innovative? Not really. Merely a career mode with a background story designed to add a little shock & surprise to an ailing game. For something to be innovative I'd think it would need to be a feature that would inspire other developers. WWE 12's Universe Mode is something that most sport games could benefit from & therefore, even though I don't play the game due to my lack of interest in wrestling & my inability to even grasp the basics of the control system, I believe this mode wins hands down.
I also question the inclusion of NBA 2K12's Greatest Mode in this vote as this was merely an expansion
on the feature incorporated in 2K11.
Universe Mode was an expansion from last year's WWE game as well.

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 39
Champion Mode had no place in the Fight Night series because this game is said to be a sim, which it isn't/wasn't. The most innovative feature to the Fight Night series to me was trying to give the boxer tendencies with sliders going in the NBA 2K direction.

Casual fans of the boxing is hurting this series because it will never capture the sport or our imagination if they accept anything. The Champion Mode isn't a realistic representive of the sport. The game had an actor(Bishop's voice) who's sport of choice is soccer.

Fight Night could have used a deep Universe mode like WWE 12. EA needs to do more for the career and offline modes.

*Fight Night Community Leader and contributing fan since the first Knockout Kings.

Last edited by SHAKYR; 12-29-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
I think WWE 12's Universe mode was pretty innovative. But my personal choice for favourite mode would be NHL 12's be a player. Being able to play through an entire Junior career before getting to the NHL? It's outstanding. That's like NBA 2K12 having you play through an NCAA career before getting drafted.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »