Home

Overlooked Sports Games of 2012

This is a discussion on Overlooked Sports Games of 2012 within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Overlooked Sports Games of 2012

Are you in the mood for something a little off of the beaten path the rest of this year? Well here are a few options for sports games which aren't the traditional big box titles which may provide big entertainment value for you this upcoming Holiday Season.

Read More - Overlooked Sports Games of 2012
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
Rugby Challenge was an alright game. The AI needed a lot of work, every game felt the same. Either I would win big on it or the other team would be superhuman and couldn't be tackled. It also doesn't teach you a whole lot about the game, most of the time you could just win games by pitching the ball to the outside rather than setting up plays. Even with all those flaws, it was rather fun, I played more of it than any other sports game until NHL 13 came out.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 33
Rugby Challenge was my surprise game this year. Considering this game doesn't have the budget of the top flight titles it really does do many things well. Loads of tournaments, good multiplayer coverage with solid graphics & gameplay. Rugby isn't everyone's cup of tea, but as an overall sports simulation there is no denying its quality.
I would also include WRC 3 on this list. Far superior than the previous 2 games many choose to ignore this game purely because it doesn't look quite as good as Dirt 3.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
College Lacrosse is pretty cool. I also like the indoor lacrosse game that came out last year. These guys do a good job, considering the staff size.

That rugby game sounds interesting ... That Vita price is insane.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
Rookie

boondocksaint78's Arena

OVR: 0
I got Rugby Challenge on the recommendation of a friend. And I'm glad I did. Great game. Enjoy it as much today as when I bought it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
MVP

ps3veron's Arena

OVR: 11
This is why OS is the authority in sports gaming. Such games definitely need the exposure they deserve.

On this list I got Rugby Challenge, not bad at all for a first attempt. And as Daz said, WRC 3 is also a very good rally game. Far more "focused" than Dirt.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Rugby Challenge is garbage. I have played every Rugby game ever made, Jonah Lomu Rugby on PSX or Rugby 08 are still the defining Rugby games. An obscene amount of unrealistic offloads, a plethora of crazy glitches, scrums that get driven 20 metres, no set plays, you can't even do something as simple as drive a maul off the lineout. These aren't things that you can blame on the smaller budget.

Rugby League Live 2 is far more deserving of a place on this list than Rugby Challenge is, especially since Rugby Challenge came out in 2011 and this is "Overlooked Sports Games of 2012".
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck3
Rugby Challenge is garbage. I have played every Rugby game ever made, Jonah Lomu Rugby on PSX or Rugby 08 are still the defining Rugby games. An obscene amount of unrealistic offloads, a plethora of crazy glitches, scrums that get driven 20 metres, no set plays, you can't even do something as simple as drive a maul off the lineout. These aren't things that you can blame on the smaller budget.

Rugby League Live 2 is far more deserving of a place on this list than Rugby Challenge is, especially since Rugby Challenge came out in 2011 and this is "Overlooked Sports Games of 2012".
Totally agree with YoungBuck3. Rugby Challenge was really not good. So much promise, and definitely the best looking rugby game to date, but the gameplay was rubbish. I have sunk many many hours into previous rugby titles, but this one only lasted a couple of days. For those looking for a remotely realistic, fun rugby game, forgo the graphics and pick up Rugby 08 or even 06.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »