Home

The Future of Sports Gaming Roster Updates

This is a discussion on The Future of Sports Gaming Roster Updates within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Future of Sports Gaming Roster Updates

Sports gamers have a variety of ways to receive roster in 2014. Going forward into 2015 and beyond, there is a debate over what kind of delivery method is preferred by the community. In this piece, we'll take a look at using rosters generated by companies like Synergy and SportVu versus the method that is tried and true: manual handmade edits. Let's look at the debate.

Read More - The Future of Sports Gaming Roster Updates
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I don't care which company or how often they provide updates, they will never be as good as the editing community. The editing community will always be superior.

Further, in my view, there is no better way to keep your game alive, fresh, and relevant then to support the community through a fully customizable game. A community that is sharing work and edits with others, talking about your game with others, makes hardcore fans. Users want control.

Imo, licensing is used as tool to maintain exclusivity. That's why editing options are being eliminated. As much as it pains them to pay for expensive licenses, they themselves want the licensing costs high in order to be a barrier to entry. It's going to take the indie scene to realize that licensing is in actuality useless. Create a fully customizable game with tons of editing options -- as an example see Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. The process is starting... the indie scene will rise to the challenge. It's time for competition to return.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 17
i'm not convinced Stauffer knows much of anything about basketball other than perusing box scores, seeing someone have a good game and then upping or lowering their ratings. I've yet to see anything displayed show me more than that.

He's all over the aesthetics of the game and equipment factors but no way one person or a team can do what Synergy does to simulate accurately a players abilities.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 1
which ever gets the info there quickly and as competent as possible is what I prefer.

Accuracy is subjective...no matter who does it some people will like the changes and some people will not.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4
Why not use a combination of the two? Certain attributes and tendencies controlled by SportsVU and others by people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13
I must be in the minority. While I can't talk about basketball, since I don't play basketball games, my feelings are the same for every videogame sport I play. I only play offline franchise mode, so rosters quickly become full of fictitious players anyway. Existing players may retire or move to other teams. This becomes my own personal universe. So, the entire concept of a roster update is foreign to me. I just have no need for a roster update at all, regardless of how it is calculated or done.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Rookie

TSGuy's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
I must be in the minority. While I can't talk about basketball, since I don't play basketball games, my feelings are the same for every videogame sport I play. I only play offline franchise mode, so rosters quickly become full of fictitious players anyway. Existing players may retire or move to other teams. This becomes my own personal universe. So, the entire concept of a roster update is foreign to me. I just have no need for a roster update at all, regardless of how it is calculated or done.
What if you begin a franchise with outdated roster, where some players on the team you want to play are now much better hence higher rated? You wouldn't want the asset of starting a franchise with the team you want to play with that has an updated ratings for you to get begin and get started with the franchise mode?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Pro

GOBLUE_08's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The Future of Sports Gaming Roster Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
I'm starting to lean this way myself. I used to be very meticulous about rosters being as up to date as possible, but now, I just don't care as much.

I really just need one good base roster to start with and I'm good from there. I do all fantasy draft franchises now just to make it my own little world. I find that doing it this way makes me care a lot less about who's stats aren't accurate or who's contract is wrong. I just have fun with the game. My gaming time is limited and precious . Don't really have time to sweat the small stuff anymore.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »