Home

Are Sports Game Control Schemes Actually Any Good? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on Are Sports Game Control Schemes Actually Any Good? (Roundtable) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Are Sports Game Control Schemes Actually Any Good? (Roundtable)

Sports gaming control schemes, as a whole, have definitely gotten more complicated in the past several years. With combo systems like that of fighting games, the most advanced moves possible require a bit of practice to master.

And while our ability to control our digital avatars has never been more complete, has it ever been better? Let's see what the staff thinks...

Read More - Are Sports Game Control Schemes Actually Any Good? (Roundtable)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Are Sports Game Control Schemes Actually Any Good? (Roundtable)

I can only really speak to Madden as it and WWE are the only two sports games I really play right now, but nevertheless -

This is my obligatory periodic "Madden should move on from icon passing to analog passing" comment. If I say it enough times, it might eventually happen.

Every other simulation-style team sports game I can think of has moved on to analog controls as its primary offensive mechanic - shooting with RS in NBA 2K, hitting with RS in The Show / MLB 2K, slapshots with RS in EA Sports NHL... I'm sure there are others. Madden lags behind. Change is overdue.

Having a more precise control on how a pass is thrown (between the speed and direction of RS movement) would help Tiburon further differentiate quarterbacks in the game and create a greater variety of passes, as compared to the results we have right now essentially coming down to a ratings check and a dice roll because the face buttons only return "off" or "on".

RS passing would also streamline the game's controls and make playing more creatively with mobile quarterbacks easier; since ballcarrier moves are already mapped to RS, a player could very easily transition from scrambling out of the pocket to throwing the ball to a downfield receiver, he doesn't have to move his thumb off the stick back to the face buttons.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
2k makes so little sense with their control scheme. You can pass with all four buttons, while your pass modifier does things like backing down or shooting. the right stick has about 3 or 4 offensive functions, and b(circle) calls for pick or brings up player icons(which is also done about 2 other ways). The controls leave users with little control over what actually happens when a button is pressed and often slow or complicated input closes windows for bounce passes or oops
Old 02-07-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
Banned

Madden has literally not changed their control scheme since 2001, its dated and gets boring really fast. Like someone stated above, they need to move passing to the analog sticks, long overdue.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
Madden has literally not changed their control scheme since 2001, its dated and gets boring really fast. Like someone stated above, they need to move passing to the analog sticks, long overdue.
Also in Madden jukes need to be removed from the right stick and mapped to the left stick, similar to how NBA 2K dribbling moves use to be. During run plays this would free up he right stick for stiff arms and truck moves allowing the user to juke, stiff arm, and truck at the same time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
I'm definitetly not a fan of passing being on the stick for madden... That would become more frustrating than fun. Now juking and movement all on the left stick I wouldnt mind
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
Pro

jmaj315's Arena

OVR: 2
I think that the button layouts are the right mix between pick up and play/hardcore. The game I've been playing most lately is 2k...

I think they went the wrong direction this year, i think it was 2k12 or 2k13 that made so much sense when using the shot stick. i.e. left then right to do a euro step layup... now its awkwardly away from the rim at an angle, but if you dont hit it just right you end up with a floater/runner.

And the same for hop step, it used to be left-left or right-right on the shot stick, now its turbo-(tap)square.
IMO that was a terrible decision.

But I would like to reiterate, that overall I think the balance is complexity is fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »