Home

Many People Don't Play Multiple Seasons in Games Like The Show or NHL, Here's How to Change That

This is a discussion on Many People Don't Play Multiple Seasons in Games Like The Show or NHL, Here's How to Change That within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Many People Don't Play Multiple Seasons in Games Like The Show or NHL, Here's How

Take the best of NCAA Football 14 and 2k’s franchise modes and voila, perfection
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #18
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Many People Don't Play Multiple Seasons in Games Like The Show or NHL, Here's How

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianski71
Let us change the number of games per season. It’s that simple. In Madden and NCAA, (which I still play) I have no problem rolling season after season. 12/16 game seasons are easy to get through. What’s the harm in NHL or MLB letting us play a 30/29 game (I’m thinking NBA Jam-style, play everyone once) season? Why does it HAVE TO be 82/162? I absolutely refuse to sim games.
YES!!! This has also been a thorn in my side for a long time...and has been a reason that i haven't purchased certain titles over the years. Short seasons were around in the Genesis days, so can't be that hard for today's developers.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
In Madden and NCAA, (which I still play) I have no problem rolling season after season. 12/16 game seasons are easy to get through. What’s the harm in NHL or MLB letting us play a 30/29 game (I’m thinking NBA Jam-style, play everyone once) season? Why does it HAVE TO be 82/162?
MLB 2K games allowed this. The problem is, which I assume would be the case for The Show as well, all it does is remove games from the schedule, not shorten the schedule. As the user, you no longer need more than 2-3 SP & RP, but the AI still carries a full staff and rotates through all 5.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #20
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
MLB 2K games allowed this. The problem is, which I assume would be the case for The Show as well, all it does is remove games from the schedule, not shorten the schedule. As the user, you no longer need more than 2-3 SP & RP, but the AI still carries a full staff and rotates through all 5.
Agreed. I was on the "honor system" with MLB 2K, and rotated through all my pitchers. But it would be nice if the developers took the extra step to make sure things like fatigue are adjusted appropriately.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 13

I play multiple seasons in every sports game I play, but I love several of your ideas. The problem, as I see it, is that the developer has to care. Why would EA, or any other company, care whether people play multiple years or not? The goal these days, judging from the annual "improvements," are the card collecting modes, the HUTs, MUTs, and whatever else, that involve microtransactions. I do not see any desire by developers to improve franchise much, so I suspect your ideas will fall on deaf ears (consider the annual improvements to franchise mode in NHL or The Show - have there been any of significance in five years?)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
It’s even more maddening that The Show lets you change the season length for season mode, but not franchise. I like having GM control of my team and playing the offseasons. I’m just not going to ever get through more than one 82 or 162 game schedule in one year. It’ll never happen.
In case you don't know, The Show's season mode allows multiple seasons. It's basically "Franchise lite". So you can do offseason and move on to the next year. You do lose the minors though. You just have a 40 man roster to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
The show actually shortens the season so you play almost everyday just as teams do in real life.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 10

On a similar note something that has annoyed me since... well... forever because no game has ever offered this, is that no baseball game has EVER allowed you to go to a 4 man rotation in the playoffs and allowed you to restart that rotation in the next round. No game. Ever. It's simply something that's never been done and I don't get how anyone making a baseball game could miss one of the most relevant things that happens in the playoffs which is the sorting of the regular season rotation and the importance of playoff round first game starters. The tricks I've had to do for over 10 years to get the other teams to restart their rotations in each new round have been inventive but annoying.

Last edited by tinpanalley; 03-05-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #24
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Nice job with this, Chris.

To me the way we improve franchise mode is quite simple: It needs to be built around community.
  • Allow for community modding (just look at what the Steam Workshop has provided)
  • Allow commissioners and other members to publish podcasts and other material
  • A mobile app to access the league basics and a league website (auto-generated and can be further customised)
  • Allow for carryover so that leagues can easily and accurately (very important) transition from year-to-year
  • Obviously a fully-featured online franchise mode for the particular game
  • A direct link to a YouTube and/or Steam channel which would auto-broadcast games from that league, or other content folks may want to share (offseason plans, etc.)
  • The game studio should spotlight certain leagues each week ala NBA2K TV. Heck, OS could be a pioneer in that venture.
  • Game studios should add in an eSports element where the best (most active and creative?) leagues are covered and eventually play in a yearly tournament against other leagues

These are just a few off the top of my head to go along w the ideas Chris (OP) has shared. It's time, and folks are ready. This and many of the other ideas shared in this thread could be a framework for Franchise Mode 2.0.

EA, 2K, SDS: If you build it...they will come.

Last edited by Mike Lowe; 03-06-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Formatting

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »