Home

Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Off-Topic within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2020, 02:13 AM   #65
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
I momentarily took off-topic off the rails. I'm sorry you felt it went over your head.

The Seinfeld reference about George Constanza's parents just popped a big Frank Constanza "monologue" immediately into my head on why George didn't look like his parents. It was no reference to a particular episode.

And to add a little info about myself... years ago, I was once an aspiring television writer and belonged to the local writers guild. We used to do improv as an exercise. Someone would set the scene: Kramer drags Jerry to a new ice cream shop, or you are being interviewed live on the local news, or why does George have red-headed parents when he isn't a redhead. Then several of us would either write or act out the scene. If you've seen "Who's Line Is It Anyway?," then you would easily recognize that exercise.

At times, it would get crazy, but it was all in good fun. Plus, it helped us clear out our heads and focus better when we would write.

I hadn't done anything like that in years. It's funny how the Seinfeld-referenced post immediately triggered that in my head.
I've never thought about bald george's hair color as it relates to Frank and Estelle, but I did wonder why their anger combination didn't make George the craziest and most furious human ever

I knew it wasn't Berkowitz!

very late edit: wait a minute, I just realized you merged Jerry Stiller characters together, since on King of Queens he wagered Carrie's name in a poker game

ugh I'm slow

Last edited by l3ulvl; 01-19-2020 at 03:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #66

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Just want to run something by everyone before I officially declare my TV dead. I consider myself decently tech savy but I know there are people here who know much more than me.

So the TV is a four year old Vizio. Not a terrible TV, not a great one but never had any problems with it until today.

Was watching the Dan Patrick show this morning but had to go into my office to take a work call for a little over an hour. I left the TV on.

When I came back, the TV was off. Thought nothing of it at the moment, it happens due to inactivity sometimes and when I'm watching the DP show, I tend to not touch the remote so it very well could have been a couple hours of inactivity.

The TV will no no longer power on and shows no signs of even wanting to try.

A couple things.

I've had the current set up (all the same devices) for about the same time I've had this TV and have never had an issue.

There are a few additional Christmas lights in the living room but not more than I've ever had. There is only one breaker for this room.

Through my troubleshooting (I'll get to that) I found out that whatever happened, has now caused the surge protector the TV was plugged into to stop working 100%. What I mean by that, is some of the outlets are working while others aren't (that's strange to me, hoping someone may be able to help me out there but I"m thinking that's tied to what caused the issue)

Regarding troubleshooting,

I've done everything google suggests to reset a Vizio TV. That generally starts and stops with unplugging it, holding the power button on the TV itself for and arbitrary amount of time (I've tried them all) and then plugging back in. That's supposed to fix it. Not for me.

I haven't found anything I can do TV specific to troubleshoot.

I've tested multiple outlets in the room. I've made sure that other devices will work in every outlet I've tried but the TV won't work with any of the outlets.

I also grabbed an extension cord and tried the TV with an outlet on a different breaker with no luck.

So my question to those of you that made through all that.

Is it dead? (I'm assuming yes)
What would be your best guess that caused it?
Any other suggestions out there?
Does anyone think it would even be worth it to have a technician look at it to see if a fuse blew inside?

It's not under warranty.
I really don't want to pay someone to look at it to tell me it's dead on the off chance it isn't.

Truth be told, I want to be able to say I did my due diligence to my wife and use it as an excuse to get a 4k TV anyway. And have been looking to move on from vizio TV's.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #67
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Just want to run something by everyone before I officially declare my TV dead. I consider myself decently tech savy but I know there are people here who know much more than me.

So the TV is a four year old Vizio. Not a terrible TV, not a great one but never had any problems with it until today.

Was watching the Dan Patrick show this morning but had to go into my office to take a work call for a little over an hour. I left the TV on.

When I came back, the TV was off. Thought nothing of it at the moment, it happens due to inactivity sometimes and when I'm watching the DP show, I tend to not touch the remote so it very well could have been a couple hours of inactivity.

The TV will no no longer power on and shows no signs of even wanting to try.

A couple things.

I've had the current set up (all the same devices) for about the same time I've had this TV and have never had an issue.

There are a few additional Christmas lights in the living room but not more than I've ever had. There is only one breaker for this room.

Through my troubleshooting (I'll get to that) I found out that whatever happened, has now caused the surge protector the TV was plugged into to stop working 100%. What I mean by that, is some of the outlets are working while others aren't (that's strange to me, hoping someone may be able to help me out there but I"m thinking that's tied to what caused the issue)

Regarding troubleshooting,

I've done everything google suggests to reset a Vizio TV. That generally starts and stops with unplugging it, holding the power button on the TV itself for and arbitrary amount of time (I've tried them all) and then plugging back in. That's supposed to fix it. Not for me.

I haven't found anything I can do TV specific to troubleshoot.

I've tested multiple outlets in the room. I've made sure that other devices will work in every outlet I've tried but the TV won't work with any of the outlets.

I also grabbed an extension cord and tried the TV with an outlet on a different breaker with no luck.

So my question to those of you that made through all that.

Is it dead? (I'm assuming yes)
What would be your best guess that caused it?
Any other suggestions out there?
Does anyone think it would even be worth it to have a technician look at it to see if a fuse blew inside?

It's not under warranty.
I really don't want to pay someone to look at it to tell me it's dead on the off chance it isn't.

Truth be told, I want to be able to say I did my due diligence to my wife and use it as an excuse to get a 4k TV anyway. And have been looking to move on from vizio TV's.
Keep in mind I'm not an expert by any means but what you're describing, especially with plugs on the surge protector also not working, seems like the short may have come from the TV side as opposed to a surge coming from an outlet.

Honestly it does seem like you've done your due diligence. I think it's dead. Get that new one. They are so freaking cheap these days too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #68
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Drivers of pick-up trucks are objectively the worst drivers on the road. Yes or no?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:55 AM   #69
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Drivers of pick-up trucks are objectively the worst drivers on the road. Yes or no?
I can't speak for their driving skills, but why do they always park next to me? I'm positioning my car way out in the back of a parking lot, only to find a big *** truck next to me every damn time I get back. I try and slowly, sheepishly, blindly emerge from my parking space, only to have some jackass going 40 in the parking lot zoom up and give me gestures like I'm a huge jerk for attempting to do anything. Like, how dare I cautiously attempt to pull out of my parking space, I should just sit here and stay for the night. Wait for the jumbo truck to leave, wait for all maniacs to leave, and then get up at 2am with the knock on my window from a cop checking up on me, who notices my anxiety and deems I'm acting suspicious and takes me to jail.

Fun fact: my mind actually works that way
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #70
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Quote:

I’ve never noticed this trend. They do seem to be the ones who will get right up on you though. That might also be due to the fact they’re sat higher up and their presence is more noticeable.

The psychology of driving intrigues me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #71
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I’ve never noticed this trend. They do seem to be the ones who will get right up on you though. That might also be due to the fact they’re sat higher up and their presence is more noticeable.

The psychology of driving intrigues me.
Yeah. They seem to be more tailgaters than anything. I rarely see a pick-up truck doing something absurd. In my travels it's usually a minivan or smaller SUV driving without any sense.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #72
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Updated: Motorcyclists are the worst drivers on the road.

Also, people who ride bicycles in the snow are not smart.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »