Home

Best Baseball Text Sim?

This is a discussion on Best Baseball Text Sim? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
Best Baseball Text Sim?

Hey, any of you hardcore guys try OOTP, Puresim and Baseball Mogul? If so, what are the pros and cons? How do they stack up? I played Baseball Mogul years ago and generally liked it, and tried Puresim last year and really liked that (even better). I like realistic range of stats, and no micromanagement required (I love options to turn things on or off auto). Thanks for any help!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Best Baseball Text Sim?

I personally like OOTP, but all the games have their merits. BM has been a bit better with real leagues (MLB) in the past. Not sure if that has changed with the new releases of both. But for fictional or historical leagues work very well with OOTP.

With BM you can just dive into it and get going. OOTP you need to fiddle around with stuf a bit more to see how everything works. However, you can have the AI do almost everything in OOTP as well. Or you can handle only GM duties or just handle Manager duties.

OOTP is a little more dense in terms of what you can do. I suggest giving the demo a spin. Its last years but you'll get the idea. OS just reviewed OOTP so you may want to read that too. A very good review.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...11-review.html
Old 04-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

With OOTP I like to wait a couple months before purchase to let them sort out the bugs. They have a very dedicated but anal community on the forums, so stuffy in fact I just couldn't tolerate it. These people will find the problems and patches will follow. It's a good game but does have a learning curve. If you have alot of time on your hands you can't go wrong.

I'm more into simple text games lately, Roogames football being a favorite and I think they recently came out with baseball. Come to think of it I'll have to try it this year. I think it was based on a board game which had a cult following. The Roo devs are awesome! Go to their forum, ask a question and if you don't get an acceptable response from the community the devs will give you more info than you asked for - and usually within 24 hours.

Last edited by swaldo; 04-13-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
I'm more into simple text games lately, Roogames football being a favorite and I think they recently came out with baseball. Come to think of it I'll have to try it this year. I think it was based on a board game which had a cult following. The Roo devs are awesome! Go to their forum, ask a question and if you don't get an acceptable response from the community the devs will give you more info than you asked for - and usually within 24 hours.
You're referring of course to PC Replay Baseball, and it's a great game, although if the OP is looking for a career sim, it won't meet his requirements. It is a Season Replay game like Strat-O-Matic, APBA, Diamond Mind, etc. Still, it plays a GREAT game of baseball!! Also, it's published by Replay Games, not RooGames, although the developer (Richard Hanna of RooGames) did the board to PC translation.

You can find out more here: http://www.replaybb.com/PCBBPages/PCBBGame.htm
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
With OOTP I like to wait a couple months before purchase to let them sort out the bugs. They have a very dedicated but anal community on the forums, so stuffy in fact I just couldn't tolerate it. These people will find the problems and patches will follow. It's a good game but does have a learning curve. If you have alot of time on your hands you can't go wrong.

You don't even want to go near the Off Topic Section.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
Rookie

OOTP is the only baseball text sim I've played, but it is worthwhile. You can demo OOTP or download the full version of OOTP 8 which is free.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
MVP

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba22plus
You don't even want to go near the Off Topic Section.
Hey now, no bashing on the Off-Topic section.

You pretty much can't go wrong with OOTP unless you feel it's too complicated but it's worth the 30 minute learning curve. I would pretty much just echo Matt Diesel's post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »