Home

Blue Bombers coach Mike Kelly Arrested

This is a discussion on Blue Bombers coach Mike Kelly Arrested within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Blue Bombers coach Mike Kelly Arrested

Well...I guess there goes his job now!

Jeez, When Kelly was hired I thought he'd be a good guy for the Blue Bombers what with him coming from the Eskimos organization but he's been nothing but a loose cannon and generally a big bad bully. He's been arrested on assault charges which doesn't surprise me too much given his anger issues.

I feel bad for Bombers fans like bluengold here at OS.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Blue Bombers coach Mike Kelly Arrested

I won't comment on the off-the-field stuff, but as far as coaching the Bombers goes, good riddance. Mike Kelly is an arrogant, ignorant coach whose schemes are out of date and who likes to shoot his mouth off and hide behind the guise of "sticking up for his players."

If this leads to his firing, he will not be missed. In fact, this may work out in the Bombers' favour because if these allegations are true, I would venture a guess that they probably violate some sort of clause in his contract, which would hopefully mean the team isn't responsible for paying him out (since we're still paying Doug Berry!).
Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

is CFL really followed up there like the NFL? I've always been curious
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36
Hockey is still King, but the CFL is popular among Canadian sports fans. I think its safe to say it has a greater following in Western Canada than the Eastern part of the country.

In 2008, the Grey Cup was played in front 66,000+ and had 3.65 million Canadian viewers.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Well...I guess there goes his job now!

Jeez, When Kelly was hired I thought he'd be a good guy for the Blue Bombers what with him coming from the Eskimos organization but he's been nothing but a loose cannon and generally a big bad bully. He's been arrested on assault charges which doesn't surprise me too much given his anger issues.

I feel bad for Bombers fans like bluengold here at OS.
Yeah, so did I. Lyle Bauer was selling him as a good media guy, a player's coach and all these things but that was the farthest thing from the truth.

His relationship with the media was basically broken from the start when he limited their amount of time in practices so at first I gave him a pass on some things because I thought it was just the media out for his head but as the season went on, it was pretty clear it was Mike himself that was doing all of the damage.

Nevermind the media, his relationships with players was just as broken. For a guy that was labeled as and prided himself on being a "player's coach", he sure seemed to get on the bad side of a lot of our players.

First there was the Derrick Armstrong incident, in Week 1 no less, where Kelly decided it was a good idea to tell Derrick he'll be coming off the bench and rotating in just minutes before the game against Edmonton kicks off (and it wasn't even Kelly who told him, it was an assistant coach). Derrick was against that and sat out the game. A lot of people thought it was Armstrong quitting on the team but for a guy who was taking cortisone shots for his knee to play every game for the last year or 2, I'd hardly consider him a guy that would quit on his team.

Then of course, the Barrin Simpson fiasco. Instead of asking Barrin whether or not he wants to play through his injured toe, Kelly decides to bench him and then try and force him onto the 9 game injured list.

And to further confirm his lack of being a "player's coach", check out this video on TSN.ca. Doug Brown, absolutely the most classiest guy you could find in the CFL, and Obby Khan sounded off on Mike Kelly: http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-hig...141#clip248141

I mean really, a list of the things this guy did wrong is probably bigger than a little kid's Christmas wish list. Hell, the guy had more incidents this year than we had wins (7). I've never seen so much dysfunction around a team, or at least a CFL team. The funny thing is, I complain a bit about our team never getting much attention paid to it, but this year we got that. Just not the kind of attention I wanted. We basically became the joke of the league ala Toronto and Hamilton a few years ago. It was so bad that some Rider fans felt bad for us and they were barely considering us a rival (who's laughing now after the 13th man though? )

I will say, the one positive side of Kelly was his management of the team. We have about 4 free agents, 2 of them being key pieces of our team (Jovon Johnson and Alexis Serna), compared to year's past where Brendan Taman had handfuls of player's to try and re-sign at years end. Plus the fact that he completely fixed our secondary, which has been one of, if not the worst, units in the league, fixed our special teams which was an issue for Doug Berry's entire tenure here and supplied us with a wealth of young players and depth (just look at our secondary and defensive line). So the guy does have a pretty good eye for talent, it's just he couldn't get us a legitimate QB and he was too damn hard-headed to want to change his clearly out of date offense. It was even mentioned today that Stefan LeFors asked Kelly if he would be willing to make some changes to the offensive system because it just wasn't working and Kelly told him no because he thought "It has to work. It worked before, I'll make it work again." The fact he was against using the Shotgun formation because "shotgun is for flag football" is proof enough that the guy just wasn't going to run a proper offense or a proper CFL offense.

Also, one last positive about Kelly. He did seem like a decent guy when I seen him in person. There's a disabled guy in a wheelchair that goes to practice every day and Mike was always very friendly to him. I only went to one practice this year but when I was waiting outside to get some autographs from players (funny thing about this is I got an autograph from Mike. That one is a keeper, lol), he was joking around with that guy and I've heard he would always toss a football around with him and things like that. And I didn't have the longest talk with Mike when I met him, but he did seem like a genuinely nice guy, it just seems that he has this aggressive personality where he wants to do things his way and that his way is always the right way.

But yeah, that's my thoughts on this for now. They're all over the place because there is just so much this guy did and he caused this team and its fanbase a lot of frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36
Yes. A lot of people up here prefer the CFL to the NFL. But like Spear said, it's a little more towards the Western Canadian side in terms of die hard fans because of the lack of success in Toronto, no team in Ottawa and up until this season, lack of success in Hamilton. I did read an article awhile back though that says interest in football overall is growing in Quebec because of the success of the Alouettes among other things.

EDIT: Thought I'd share this. Ah, the life of a sports fan in Winnipeg...

Last edited by BlueNGold; 12-19-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

BlueNGold that was the kind of post I was expecting from you

BTW the interest in football in Quebec is a fait accompli. Interest in football has gone skyhigh over the last 10 years really. The last 3-4 years there was scattered talk of a team in Quebec City which would give a CFL version of the Canadiens/Nordiques rivalry.

Anyways it did seem Kelly had a good eye for talent and could fix some problems but his personality and stubbornness ruined things for him. I bet the Bombers go with a more laidback guy as coach.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12

I came home from school, went onto TSN.ca and the first article I see is "Kelly Arrested". I cheered, knowing his job was now in Jeopardy. Get a text message from TSN saying Kelly is out as coach. Now, we just need to bring in a coach who can do something...

Old 12-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Shocking! (*sarcasm*)

As for the CFL popularity, it's pretty popular as far as I know, but not as much as hockey. The "average" Sports Centre show on TSN goes like that:
Football - 5 minutes; baseball - 4 minutes (unless it's the football off-season); basketball - 1 minute; hockey - 50 minutes.

I wish I could watch ESPN instead of TSN...

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »