Home

PES 2009 Impressions Coming Friday 17/10

This is a discussion on PES 2009 Impressions Coming Friday 17/10 within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 AM   #41
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: PES 2009 Impressions Coming Friday 17/10

This will be the next game I edit. The results from early speed and game flow tests along with player model adjustments are very promising....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #42
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm still loving this game. Still getting beat. I finally beat Stoke with Arsenal in PKs after a goalless game. I'm still only playing 10 minute halves, and that just isn't enough.

I love how you build attacks. My games have looked just like Gunners games when they are moving the ball all over but not scoring.

I'm one of the few who hated that other game. I traded it in towards PES, and the guy at Gamestop gave me a look like I was crazy. Maybe I am?

I love how the CPU plays defense and just doesn't charge at you every second.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #43
MVP

therizing02's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10

Um - what else, oh right. I changed the screen settings ( a little tip from the PC community for 08 ) and put everything at +6 except for Brightness at +3 - looks amazing, the game played was in a 'dusk' type setting so it did not shine too bright - but enough...

OMG, I made these changes and the game looks incredible! Do your self a favor, make the change and play an afternoon game at San Siro. Great lighting and shadows. Thanks for the tip.

I have a request for another tip if anyone can help. How do you cope with the spacing that the backline always leaves? These players get out of position all the time. It's been a problem in this game for years and I'm starting to think that Seabass, in all his infinite wisdom has left it in there on purpose.

I have CB that chase wing players into the corner! When I play defense I rarely take control of someone on the back line. I use the appropriate midfielder to pressure the ball until it goes to the corner and then I switch to a fullback.

If I notice a defender out of position I usually switch to that player and then move him back into position and switch back. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #44
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Not sure how to there with that therizing, I saw it too yesterday when I played. Also tried Matt's visual settings and it is very nice. Thanks Matt!

Got two games in yesterday and really enjoyed it. Played on the second lowest level as my controller skills were a mess at first. By the end of the second game, I seemed to have it down better although I still hit the cross button when wanting to shoot.

Game just felt more like soccer. It might be tad fast, but I still have room which I like. Fouls seemed better, more set piece opportunities which is awesome. Player likenesses for Milan were very good, and the graphics are really nice. It really needs a current-gen movement control scheme like FIFA. Let's hope that happens.

Also loved the ball physics, seemed more realistic as shots were getting blocked more regularly. Also like the movement on free kicks.

Worried about finding a US option file for the PS3, hopefully people are working on one now that the game is out here. Have to look into what is missing and what not. So far so good.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

The editing alone I think is such a key factor than FIFA's editing (slow menus makes it a pain!).

The CB line issue is one that I will have to tinker with sometime tonight. I'm sure there is something out there that we can figure out. I'm just happy there is finally a real soccer game for me. I loved FIFA - don't get me wrong, but it really felt more like work and coping with the bugs rather than just letting it play out.

The CPU AI is incredible in PES, even your teammates play true to form when you do not control them - that is brilliant, so it doesn't feel like you have to control every single player like in FIFA, it actually feels like a team effort.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #46
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

I'm playing on 360 and for the first time they have been able to gain back some of the brilliance of what made ps2 winning eleven's so good. comparisons aside. this years game is abig improvement. the editing capabilties all work and are back to being full again. we can make kits etc and even though untucked shirts are not toggable the player models all look great and can be FIXED so much via the player editor that you can get some real nice models of your own going. i al;ready changed Rholandino and he looks great in game! the fact that this game now has better grass and lighting reall makes the game standout. in madden they changed these two things as well and it made the game better because of the little visual attention to grass and lighting. PES2009 is no different here. the game looks very nice and believable this year. the kit ediitng I have to mention is REAL nice once again like in past gens. there are a ALOT more kit choices this year Holy moly.

As far as gameplay/ it is very solid and tried and true WE. i can't reall put a finger on it but the best way to describe winning eleven always is the fact you feel like your following and playing the ball more than trying to play the players positions like in fifa...

FIFA 07 on last gen for Gamecube and Xbox was probably the best soccer game ever because it incorporated arcade with sim so well. this year i think PES2009 has touched on this aspect and made avery good intial impression on me with it's game. it's VERY customizable so you can REALl tweak things here and it look good in game.

i had a very big issue with the way the running animations look in the demo for PES09. But NOT with the full retail. for some reason it seems they've FIXED it! seriously it's THAT much better now...

if you want to see really good running anamitaions and what this game can do in the long run after an edit I suggest you look at only 3 players in the game and give them aspin

Inter
maxwell
viera

England
Bridge

these guys running attributes and overall ratings make them flow beautifully despite the game not having a crazy amount of animations.

please check those three guys so that you know what i'm talking about. those 3 guys ball movement and off the ball movement by the cpu of them are GREAT looking. it's the oTHERS that might have to follow this. imagine a game with EVERYONE moving likt that and you'll have gold..

i have two complaints that make in in this year yet again.

1)No ability to lower the ball kicking sounds9absolutely funny hearing loud pops and to top it off if the game runs at 60 fps however sometimes the ball has a wierd echo that makes it feel like 30 LOl) play with the sounds off and you'll see how much more smoother the gameplay feels because of it and you'll see what i mean

2) Tucked shirts should be untucked or givin the option to be. this makes the game look the most old school. but i have a feeling that konami has this design in stone since it's been like this for long time now no way we'll see a change.

All in all i am very pleasently surprised. with fifa 09i expected it be great and it somewhat is. however PES2009 is a game where I thought very little of going into and my expectations have been kinda blown away...
Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #47
MVP

therizing02's Arena

I'm very happy with this game. Man, if they could get 360 degree movement in next year or something close to it, the game will be that much better.

Can't wait to get the edited option files!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #48
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Keep the impressions coming guys.

Please pay close attention to sub and formation logic. I earlier posted that it does not appear to be as well done as last year.

Game's still a bit fast. I would love to slow it down. I'm also wanting to see if the strikers lay off a bit or if they blindly just attack any defender with the ball. That has been a problem with the game for a while.

You should be able to move the ball around out of and in the back without high pressure, save the occasional challenge from a cherry picking striker.

I love free kicks and I love the amount and variety of fouls

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »