Home

This or Fifa?

This is a discussion on This or Fifa? within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: This or Fifa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo
PES has been player faces, body structure of players, and tactics creator in this years version. Other than that, the rest goes to FIFA imo. Others can comment on Master League / Manager Mode and the like (I do not play these modes anymore).
Faces/Player Models - As a FIFA fan (see post above), I do agree that this is the one area where PES had an advantage, at least with the few star players that a casual soccer fan may recognize. However, FIFA 11 made big strides over FIFA 10 (IMO) in this regard.

And while the player models might have been better, Konami has always had a problem with the rest of their visuals, particularly the texture of the grass. Yuck.

Master League - I'm not going to pretend that FIFA has a perfect career mode because anybody who played FIFA 10 knows that it was a glitchfest full of broken promise. But I did still play it. And Master League, at least in every version I've seen it in to-date, is marred by that Konami/Japanese style where it looks like it meant for a computer programmer/engineer instead of a video gamer. The features (particularly the new online mode) look great on paper, but I think the layouts, interfacing, and strange decisions (like not using real currency) scare off 80% of the would-be users.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #42
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Really? Because if you read IGN or any number of other reviews, they say the exact opposite, which is that FIFA is slightly more of a sim, while PES is pick-up-and-play.

It used to be the case that PES was more of a "sim" title back in the PS2 days. FIFA gradually copied most of the controls and the other gameplay elements that worked with PES, and by the time the HD consoles rolled out FIFA was almost universally viewed as a superior product in terms of visuals, licenses, presentation, and gameplay.

Now, PES 11 comes out, and IGN ups their score from 7.5 to 9.0, with very little explanation as to why. I played the demo and didn't see very much special about it. It looks and feels like the same last gen engine with an HD "sheen" over it. The gameplay is a matter of preference, of course, but I don't see what PES does that isn't done as well or better in FIFA 11.

Also, as an owner of FIFA 11, I think a lot of the reviews are underexagerating how much of the game has been refined under the hood. Sports reviews on sites like IGN are usually pretty lazy and biased by new buzzwords and feature sets. Something like 360 degree control is far easier for them to comprehend than noticing the array of new animations, more realistic aerial play, and overall fluidity of FIFA 11 versus FIFA 10.

Finally, I feel like PES has been behind in the licensing game so long that people just take that fact for granted. But it IS a big deal to soccer fans, and shouldn't be ignored by reviews. If you made a American Football game where star QB Brayden Tanning plays for the Indiana Clydesdales, the vast majority of football fans wouldn't touch that game. So how is it not a big deal, then, when you boot up PES and see that the EPL is populated by fake teams like Man Red and Man Blue?

I think PES is a pretty good game, but I just don't think it offers the full package that FIFA does for your 60 dollars. Just my opinion.
It's obviously your opinion, but I have trouble seeing how PES could feel like last-gen with an HD sheen, giving the improvements they have made (the passing being the biggest upgrade). And review sites saying one is more sim than the other cannot be trusted, as they usually only play each game for a week and never move beyond the easy difficulty settings. I think both games are quality this year, but in the sim department it has to go to PES. The reason is that in FIFA slow buildup play is not a good strategy, the computer run-and-guns and charges at your players (making slow buildup play next to impossible because you can't hold up play, the computer will always charge), and fast teams with fast wingers are dominant. In PES your builid-up attacks can be deadly, it's not just about trying to play the perfect through-ball, passing back can actually be the smart thing to do, and because the teams don't all play the same way like in FIFA, you have to adjust your strategy base on the way each opposing team defends or attacks. This does not mean that FIFA is not a fun, or quality game, but I do not believe is more sim than its competition. And the lack of licenses is not as much of a big deal as it used to be, as you can now create as many teams/leagues as you want with an option file, and the Champions League and Copa Libertadores are both licensed, really increasing Master League's lead over the diminished manager mode. If people have the money, I would recommend getting both. But if people can only get one, I would recommend PES.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #43
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Yeah people always harp on the licenses and it does suck to some extent but I'm not interested in using a lower league side and most of the other major clubs whose leagues are represented are in there (Porto, Celtic, etc...)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnomar05
It's obviously your opinion, but I have trouble seeing how PES could feel like last-gen with an HD sheen.
PES is a game that is using a last gen engine. HD Sheen? If you compare PES to some of the other sports game out there like NCAA football, MLB 10 from the textures to the lighting etc and on the a next gen system it's pretty ridiculous if you think about it. I might as well be playing on my PS2 with all the jaggies that are present in this game that's if the full game is the same as the demo....I will admit the faces look great but that is all. This game's graphics engine is pretty weak for next gen IMO.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
The reason is that in FIFA slow buildup play is not a good strategy, the computer run-and-guns and charges at your players (making slow buildup play next to impossible because you can't hold up play, the computer will always charge), and fast teams with fast wingers are dominant. In PES your builid-up attacks can be deadly, it's not just about trying to play the perfect through-ball, passing back can actually be the smart thing to do, and because the teams don't all play the same way like in FIFA, you have to adjust your strategy base on the way each opposing team defends or attacks.
Slow build up is not a good strategy? That is how I was taught to play the game-not all build-ups are deadly and I constantly pass back in FIFA looking for that opening. Have you ever played FIFA on manual the way the game was meant to be played? because the computer doesn't charge like it does on assisted mode. Furthermore teams don't all play the same way in FIFA for instance there is a huge difference playing against Chelsea as opposed to Manchester City.

There is no one true or better sim. Both games are sims just different philosophies of the beautiful game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #46
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadskee
Speaking of racing games its hard to take FIFA seriously at the speed it plays and the success rate of tackles.
Have you played it manually?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadalyst17
Have you played it manually?
Yes, and the game doesn't play differently. The AI still charges me all over the pitch and the tackles are still too successful.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Yes, and the game doesn't play differently. The AI still charges me all over the pitch and the tackles are still too successful.
Well I noticed as the game went on and fatigue set in the game slowed down considerably.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »