Home

PES 2018: What We Like, Don't Like, And Are Unsure About Regarding Gameplay

This is a discussion on PES 2018: What We Like, Don't Like, And Are Unsure About Regarding Gameplay within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
PES 2018: What We Like, Don't Like, And Are Unsure About Regarding Gameplay

This is the third time getting my hands on PES 2018 with the Online Beta and...

Written By: Kevin Groves

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: PES 2018: What We Like, Don't Like, And Are Unsure About Regarding Gameplay

I agree on most fronts with the review, yes it seems like the delta between soccer's elite players and the other professionals has closed reminds me a little me of the NHL series where if you have "stick skills" you can score with Dan Girardi as easy as you can score with Ovechkin

The fouls issue has to be fixed in the patch, if it goes another year not addressed I may have to look at the competition. They really need to add a fouls slider to the game next year amongst other sliders that the article alludes to.

One area where they really improved the game was the sense of urgency the computer shows toward the end of the game where they constantly press and press on offense to get the equalizer which really opens up their defense and often leads to an ability to score on a "powerplay" type opportunity where the computer is outnumbered and often caught out of place...

I do like this game overall it is an upgrade over 2017, not a huge one but IMHO Konami has had the better game since 2015 and this year's game continues that trend.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

OVR: 0

It's a good overall game, but I agree on the lack of fouls- it went unfixed in 2016 so I hope Konami hears us this time and patches it in.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Banned

Still broken fouls. Konami don't care. They've had years to fix it. It's clear they won't. Put up with it or go to FIFA.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAngryGamer
Still broken fouls. Konami don't care. They've had years to fix it. It's clear they won't. Put up with it or go to FIFA.
I've been getting fouls but not as often as it should occur.

But what do you mean "years to fix it"? It was fine in 2017 (and 2015).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
Rookie

jmel07's Arena

For me, it's two separate things with the fouls.

The players automatically slide at the feet rather than to a spot or the ball. How this plays out for you is when you try and make a tackle and the AI player moves, you get a foul. However unless you're making a lot of moves against the AI, they are mostly going to make good tackles and not foul.

Now everything i just said seems to be true (basing this off 2017, haven't played 18 yet) except inside the box. At that point the AI will murder you dead and I have to believe that they want the AI aggressive in there so as not to concede a bunch of awful goals, but the trade off seems to be ignoring all the foul animations.

That's just my take. So it's probably more complicated than we make it out to be. They'd need to find a way to keep the AI aggressive in the box, but not generate all those foul animations and at the same time, generate a "natural" amount of fouls everywhere else by making the AI slightly "stupid" at times and less precise with tackles. Something like that.

I want the fouls as well, but I'm also willing to admit that the gameplay is a touchy balance. Every action has another reaction they have to deal with. Hence all the testing.

I'm willing to wait, let them have time, even another design cycle if need be. I'd like it to be right, not just a swing in the other direction that screws up the game.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Master League gameplay is wayyyyyyyyy harder than Play Now.

It's even more noticable this year. I can destroy AI in Play Now in Superstar while in ML I get my butt kick no matter what.

Love the game.

My only big two concerns are:
1. Lack of Fouls
2. AI Passing is too accurate and AI players have Zidane vision.

Also, not a huge problem but I hate the AI attacking style is not a varied as before.

They always hit perfect long balls to the wing, no matter the player, the accuracy of the pass is like Xavi Alonso or Pirlo is passing the ball. Need to be fixed.

Thanks,
Old 09-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #8
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1

Just a thought about fouls. I was blatantly tripped in the box, my player was pissed as there was no call. Checked it out on replay, and it was a definite trip. Okay, it happens, but being a pro evolution veteran I know this is a lingering issue.

I then decided to test something. I noticed pro evolution has the dive command still in there, so I decided to try it in the box, every time I thought I was about to be roughed up. Took a few games to get the awkward combo down, but I finally was awarded a penalty kick in the box.

I know this isn't optimal, and most people see diving, even a good dive and cringe and eye roll(as do I), but so many fouls are dives in the real world. Might be worth it if you get too frustrated to give it a try.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »