Home

The perfect scheme for Tim Tebow's talents

This is a discussion on The perfect scheme for Tim Tebow's talents within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Rookie

kcharles520's Arena

OVR: 2
Post The perfect scheme for Tim Tebow's talents

I've been watching game footage of Tebow on the Broncos last year and I've come to a conclusion...his 4th quarter comebacks were not the result of some "miracle" or "magic" or any of that mythical nonsense. The reason Tebow became such a STUD in the 4th quarter was because the offense was forced to start running a hurry-up Shotgun Spread offense, which in other words, is Tebow's bread and butter.

If I were an offensive coordinator and had Tim Tebow on my team this is the primary scheme I would run: shotgun empty. That's right, with Tebow your main offensive scheme doesn't even need a running back...why? Because Tebow IS your running back! Tebow in the gun is literally a direct snap to a halfback every single play, with an added threat to throw.

Since you don't need a halfback, you can replace that position with an extra wide receiver or tight end in most formations, resulting in lots of creative possibilities. Imagine a formation with three WRS, two TEs and Tebow...now that would be really difficult to stop! The 3WR set would force the defense into Nickel, and with two TE's on the line you'd have 7 blockers up front, making it a great power run formation for Tebow as well. Every passing play could literally be a "play action QB draw" as well, since the QB is always a threat to run.

I think a spread empty offense (or at least mini scheme) would be the perfect offense for a player like Tim Tebow, or even Cam Newton. Using the QB as a QB/HB hybrid literally adds an extra blocker or receiver to every play, making it hard for the defense to match up. Problem is, no O-coordinator has the guts to even consider something like this...NFL coaches have this attachment to i-formation and traditional sets that is really preventing them from evolving offensive schemes to maximize the dual threat capabilites of hybrid QBs like Tebow, Newton or RGIII...what do you guys think???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Don't trust tebow to make 3-5 progressions on a 5 wide set and find the right target each time.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
I think the real reason NFL coaches don't use their QB's as RB's is because your QB is your most important and most paid player. They're protecting their investment. He's already gonna take some big hits standing back there to pass, why expose him to another 15+ rough carries. I think that's why college coaches and programs don't care as much about their QB's running spread option offenses, because they're not as financially invested in them.

I think Tebow could flourish in a system like the one you described. But it's gonna force that team to completely change their roster and philosophy. That's why I wouldn't mind a Tebow in Buffalo. We've been relatively dismal for over a decade. We're just not as good at this traditional football thing as the other 31 teams. Why not try something radical? Create some excitement. At worst we still suck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: The perfect scheme for Tim Tebow's talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I think that's why college coaches and programs don't care as much about their QB's running spread option offenses, because they're not as financially invested in them.
This, and the fact that college coaches are generally thinking in terms of getting no more than 2-3 years out of a qb.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: The perfect scheme for Tim Tebow's talents

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ow-thread.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »