Home

Guys please help me out with this question

This is a discussion on Guys please help me out with this question within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Guys please help me out with this question

In the NFL...Does the play clock start running once the ref grabs the ball and spots it or does it run once he blows the whistle for the last play....

I say that the ref grabs the ball and spots it and play clock starts to run but gameclock continues...

I am being told that the play clock starts running once the ref blows his whistle for the previous play to end..

So i figured that it cant be right... If a qb throws a bomb downfield and the receiver grabs it. and gets tackled...i know the play clock cannot start when the other players are downfield still and the ref has not gotten there to spot the ball...

Am i right or wrong...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Guys please help me out with this question

According to this website, in the NFL the play clock starts immediately when the previous play ends.

I believe you're thinking of the NCAA play clock rules that were in effect prior to this season.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
According to this website, in the NFL the play clock starts immediately when the previous play ends.

I believe you're thinking of the NCAA play clock rules that were in effect prior to this season.
that is the written portion but notice that in madden the play clock only starts when you press A or wait like 3-5 seconds after the tackle is made... the game clock runs but play clock dont move until you press A which simulates the ref spotting the ball or you wait and then the play clock starts to move meaning that the ref spotted the ball

i dont see how a play clock can move when a pass is thrown deep and completed and the ref has yet to get the ball and mark it...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller22
In the NFL...Does the play clock start running once the ref grabs the ball and spots it or does it run once he blows the whistle for the last play....

I say that the ref grabs the ball and spots it and play clock starts to run but gameclock continues...

I am being told that the play clock starts running once the ref blows his whistle for the previous play to end..

So i figured that it cant be right... If a qb throws a bomb downfield and the receiver grabs it. and gets tackled...i know the play clock cannot start when the other players are downfield still and the ref has not gotten there to spot the ball...

Am i right or wrong...
youre wrong
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller22
that is the written portion but notice that in madden the play clock only starts when you press A or wait like 3-5 seconds after the tackle is made... the game clock runs but play clock dont move until you press A which simulates the ref spotting the ball or you wait and then the play clock starts to move meaning that the ref spotted the ball

i dont see how a play clock can move when a pass is thrown deep and completed and the ref has yet to get the ball and mark it...
I can't find a link, but I seem to recall discussion about the clock rules being out-of-date and/or incorrect in both NCAA 09 and Madden 09. That notwithstanding, I would go to a written rule or a third-person observation before I went to a video game for an answer.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »