Home

Patriots chances of making the playoffs and the playoff format in general

This is a discussion on Patriots chances of making the playoffs and the playoff format in general within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Patriots chances of making the playoffs and the playoff format in general

Let me begin by saying that the Cowboys are the most overrated team of the last 11 years. They are awful. Moving on. Now that the Ravens are 10-5, I really do not see the Pats making the playoffs even if they win out. They need the Jets or Fins to lose tomorrow to the Seahawks or Chiefs or they are pretty much eliminated from the playoffs because I do not see the Jaguars beating the Ravens. It is very likely that we could see an 11-5 team not make the playoffs, in the same conference where an 8-8 team will. In my opinion if that is the case it would prove to be an indication that the way teams qualify for the playoffs is broken. Not only does that 11-5 team miss out but that 8-8 team will at worst be the 4th seed. I want to not only discuss the Pats chances, but I also want to hear people's opinions on how teams make the playoffs. I would rather see teams play within their division as they currently do, but when it comes to making the playoffs I strongly believe that the top 6 best records should clinch, rather then allow for division winners to automatically have a top four birth.

My hopes as a fan rest on teams that are 2-12, 3-11, and 5-10 combining for 10-33.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Patriots chances of making the playoffs and the playoff format in general

I'm a Patriots fan and the system is fine.

Since the schedule went to 16 games, it would only be the 2nd time ever that a team with 11 wins to not make the playoffs. That's a pretty good ratio.

And I actually feel good about tomorrow. The Jets are 0-3 on West Coast trips this year (losses at SD, Oakland and SF) and after seeing how tough the Seahawks played at home vs us and the Jets not looking that sharp, I have hope.

Miami hasn't really won a game convincingly vs teams they should beat and the Chiefs are much better (atleast defensively) then their record indicates but they simply can't close out a game. Atleast this game is at Arrowhead.

Either is meaningless though if we don't take care of business tomorrow vs the Cards.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 16

You can't scrap the division format, just because it occasionally lets a team in that isn't one of the best overall.

I love the divisions in the NFL. You have great rivalries with every team in your division because it means something to play in the division, since winning a division is an automatic home playoff game.

I absolutely would not be in favor of any playoff system that didn't give a division winner an automatic playoff berth.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 28

The playoff system is fine. Nothing wrong with it. Take care of business in your division and your work will be rewarded.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

The whining is funny considering that the potential 8-8 team crunched the nuts of the potential 11-5 team.

This is a very rare occurrence and hardly a reason to scrap the current format.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
The playoff system is fine. Nothing wrong with it. Take care of business in your division and your work will be rewarded.
Exactly. The Pats have benefited from a pretty weak division for the last few years so I don't feel too bad for them.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

It's worse in the NFC. There could be 10 teams (possibly,not sure who's playing who) with a better record than the Cardinals compared to 7 in the AFC with a better record than the Broncos/Chargers winner.

I'm not really a fan of this either but what can you do? Take away the bye and send 8 teams?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh

I'm not really a fan of this either but what can you do? Take away the bye and send 8 teams?
If you take away the bye then what's the use of having the best record in your conference?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »