Home

Vikes DE Udeze, battling leukemia, retires

This is a discussion on Vikes DE Udeze, battling leukemia, retires within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Vikes DE Udeze, battling leukemia, retires

Vikings defensive end Kenechi Udeze, who missed last season because of leukemia, has retired, the Star Tribune reported Thursday.

Udeze was starting to fulfill his potential before being diagnosed with leukemia. (Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images)

Head coach Brad Childress informed the paper of the news.

Udeze, the No. 20 overall pick in the 2004 draft out of USC, tied for the team lead in sacks in 2007.

Then, in Feb. 2008, Udeze was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Udeze underwent bone marrow transplant surgery in July 2008 and had recovered to the point where he participated in spring mini-camps and organized team activities this year.

After practicing, however, it appears that Udeze felt he needed to focus his attention on fighting this disease.

"I'd be lying if I said it was easy," Udeze told the Star Tribune after a June workout. "There was never an easy point. The first time I went back to USC and started working out with the fellas, I fell. I took two steps and I fell. I took small steps at first and, to where I am now, I can't complain."

Udeze received the Vikings' Ed Block Courage Award last season

Source : http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...kemia,-retires
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »